Lucas Kehr

The Social Dillemna-Can I Market Without Social Media?

8 posts in this topic

I just watched the Social Dillemna, a powerful documentary that discloses the manipulation and persuasion within the algorithms of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, etc. The advice was to delete all social media so that we don't contribute to the real issues arising from such manipulation, such as; conspiracy theories, fake news, political divisiveness being at an all time high, distraction, wasting time, depression, suicide, and close mindedness. This may existential. But as a musician, I understand most bands and artists almost have to post and market on Instagram to get exposed enough. How else could we make a living online? Are there alternatives? What's your advice

Deleting all social media is not a solution to these problems.

You might as well literally stick your head in the sand while you're at it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Lucas Kehr  Be conscious of your engagement with social media (including this forum). Be conscious how fast you can divert your attention away from the original goal of going on there. Be very specific about what you want to do there; getting lost is quite easy. Have specific times of day in which you use them. Notice the times you want to get dopamine by checking on anything.

You can share your art through an email list. Maybe collab with other artists or connoisseurs of your field who already have established bases. Get in contact to those people who review many artists & send out a mail once a week/month - like those who are doing online magazines.

I think @Natasha had a thread about social media use.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

There are plugins that kill toxic shit (recommendations, feed section, etc) so that you can only login, post your stuff and maybe read the comments of your followers or something like that. 

It's hard for me to use fb/LinkedIn/YouTube without these these days

Use social media only to post. 

That solves it. 

Don't hang around that place too much once your marketing is done and interact with crowds that are helpful. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Lucas Kehr It's best to watch Leo's movie about manipulation, what it's really for. This will widen your views.

"Your're looking for advice... get look for yourself".

Edited by tedens

@Natasha thanks Natasha, that helped me see even deeper into the reality of social media. I thank you too @Leo Gura your right, it's simply a matter of self-discipline and not relying on social media. And thank you @Loving Radiance, even being on the forum brings that dopamine hit and I'll be reminding myself to be mindful of all of my tech use, and to manage my time on it. Thank you all.