Harry2

Do we lose awareness when we sleep? If yes then why?

27 posts in this topic

If awareness is always present then when we sleep why isn't it there? Or if it's there then that means our minds aren't conscious about it. Then do we perceive awareness through our mind after all? Then when we're told to be aware does it mean being conscious of awareness through our mind? 

9 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Do we lose awareness when we sleep?

No.

9 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

If awareness is always present then when we sleep why isn't it there? Or if it's there then that means our minds aren't conscious about it.

Yeah, good contemplation. You just haven't noticed yet that awareness is always present.

10 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Then do we perceive awareness through our mind after all? Then when we're told to be aware does it mean being conscious of awareness through our mind? 

That's the topic of self inquiry, find where "mind" is.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

13 minutes ago, allislove said:

No.

Yeah, good contemplation. You just haven't noticed yet that awareness is always present.

That's the topic of self inquiry, find where "mind" is.

Is it possible to notice awareness is present while sleeping? 

Also where mind is?  I just noticed when i did self enquiry i always used to think what awareness/perceiver is and assumed that mind is the brain that is creating all these thoughts. 

Also i just felt like awareness is conscious of the mind but i just said the opposite in the question. So I'm totally confused about it now lol. 

@Harry2  A classical one.

See the trick is what is "awareness "?  If you define awareness as sight.. sound.. touch.. smell.. Taste etc.. That's definitely will be absent. Just like in deep sleep.   But the problem is we identify ourselves with these temporary appearances when we are actually  the ever-present emptiness that contains everything inside of it. 

So you wake up in the morning.. Sight sound touch smell.. A body and a world appear.. They  appear inside of what ???   Inside of awareness.. For if there wasn't An awareness that is prior to these appearances.. Where else can they appear "within"???   .. Ok so in deep sleep there isnt even awareness.. That's right.. Deep sleep is the sate of nothingness.. That's your real nature.. That's who you really are.. That's the only thing that doesn't come and go.. Ever-present.. Therefore the most real state of being is the state of nothing.. The most fundamental state of being is the state of nothing .... And" within" this nothing appears awareness.. And within this awareness appears all sorts of dreams... The waking dream and the sleeping dreams. Are just temporary appearances within the ever - present nothingness.

Again this is not mere philosophy.. Check your experience and see if what I'm saying is true. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

10 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Yes, it is possible you are an advanced meditator.

In the waking state you seem to have subject, object consciousness. In the dream state, you also have subject object consciousness (perceiver and things perceived) but it's looser than the waking state. In deep sleep there is complete merging, or awareness with no object which is always your true state. You are always only aware of yourself. There's no time or memory in deep sleep because time and memory are based on a subject/object relationship or thoughts about it.  

Check out Rupert Spira's book, "The Nature of Consciousness" or his videos if you're short on time, he is an excellent resource on questions about sleep states. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

13 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Do some research on Tibetan buddhist tradition. They know Lucid Dreaming as “Dream Yoga”, where they do spiritual practices in their lucid dreams, and the advanced ones also practice what they refer to as “Sleep Yoga”, where their body and mind is asleep, but they remain awake as consciousness even during deep (dreamless) stages of sleep. Quite fascinating

@Someone here

17 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Harry2 Ok so in deep sleep there isnt even awareness.. That's right.. Deep sleep is the sate of nothingness.. 

Is awareness the same as nothingness or are they different?

17 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Harry2And within this awareness appears all sorts of dreams... The waking dream and the sleeping dreams. Are just temporary appearances within the ever - present nothingness.

Why can we feel the sleeping dream as a dream but not the waking dream as a dream? 

@nistake ohh yeah you're right lmao then I'm not aware of being aware. But what is it that is aware of awareness when awake and not aware when sleeping? Is it the mind?

@Harry2  

6 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Is awareness the same as nothingness or are they different?

The same and different. Of course. 

7 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Why can we feel the sleeping dream as a dream but not the waking dream as a dream? 

Oh really? Because in my experience dreams (sleep dreams) are perfectly identical phenomenologically to the waking world.  And that's why you can't tell that you're dreaming while you are dreaming. Because there is no difference. The boundary between "real" and "illusion" is not as solid and clear as one might think. That's where most people don't want to go. 

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Harry2  

The same and different. Of course. 

Oh really? Because in my experience dreams (sleep dreams) are perfectly identical phenomenologically to the waking world.  And that's why you can't tell that you're dreaming while you are dreaming. Because there is no difference. The boundary between "real" and "illusion" is not as solid and clear as one might think. That's where most people don't want to go. 

People are afraid that if they realize that this also is a dream, then everything will disappear. But it actually is quite the opposite. Life becomes much more amazing when you realize this is not any different from what we call dream. 

@Jaka Pirs HanziccanHanziccanHanziHanziccanHanzic

(lmao is this some kind of bug where i can't exactly remove this thing above. The more i remove the more it comes up?!)

Anyways can you tell me where to find guidance about these? 

2 minutes ago, Vibroverse said:

People are afraid that if they realize that this also is a dream, then everything will disappear. But it actually is quite the opposite. Life becomes much more amazing when you realize this is not any different from what we call dream. 

Yeah i just realised when i said sleeping dream feels more like a dream i thought it from the waking state not the sleeping state.

54 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Harry2  A classical one.

See the trick is what is "awareness "?  If you define awareness as sight.. sound.. touch.. smell.. Taste etc.. That's definitely will be absent. Just like in deep sleep.   

Stop right there.

There is no deep sleep.

Just now, Javfly33 said:

There is no deep sleep

@Nahm you are responsible for this. :)

-Osho

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

Yes, there is such possibility of a self realization ;)  

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

Also where mind is? 

Nowhere&everywhere :D 

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

Also i just felt like awareness is conscious of the mind but i just said the opposite in the question. So I'm totally confused about it now lol. 

Monkey mind: "BLAH BLAH"
Feeling: <doesn't feel good>
You: F*ck off monkey mind, let the thought go (in a loving way)
Feeling: <feel good&peace again>
You: Mmm

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Have you ever had the experience of not being aware?

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

@Jaka Pirs HanziccanHanziccanHanziHanziccanHanzic

(lmao is this some kind of bug where i can't exactly remove this thing above. The more i remove the more it comes up?!)

Anyways can you tell me where to find guidance about these? 

Ive also noticed it’s a bit buggy sometimes xD

Check out sleep and dream yoga talks on youtube by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and also Andrew Holecek, both have loads of value to share!