StarStruck

What Rumi said about one plus one

19 posts in this topic

"You think because you understand 'one' you must also understand 'two', because one and one make two. But you must also understand 'and'.

-Rumi

What did he mean?

In Tate we trust

One and one only, 

He alone is. 

Edited by m0hsen

For me, it points to the paradox of ultimate and relative reality. He is referring to the idea of addition. How can something be added without first being created? If it was created, what created it? What then, is the creator of the creator? What then, is the creator of the creator of the creator?

It is the Mysterious entanglement of the Uncaused cause, with the infinite cosmoses of cause and effect.

Or maybe, he was just playing with your mind 9_9

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Who is the one executing the "and"? The one that sliced the two in the first place.

one and one... There for reality is really nothing. It's consciousness. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

8 hours ago, Moksha said:

For me, it points to the paradox of ultimate and relative reality. He is referring to the idea of addition. How can something be added without first being created? If it was created, what created it? What then, is the creator of the creator? What then, is the creator of the creator of the creator?

It is the Mysterious entanglement of the Uncaused cause, with the infinite cosmoses of cause and effect.

Or maybe, he was just playing with your mind 9_9

You mean sameness/difference?

In Tate we trust

He refers to the connection and brotherhood between people. 

Which basically means - 

Without you, I am nothing.

Without me, you are nothing. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

He's saying "and" is a superficial duality being created

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Probably bought himself a bike and felt awesome for needing just one spare tire.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

9 hours ago, StarStruck said:

You mean sameness/difference?

In a way, yes. I'm referring to the intersection of sameness (nonduality) with difference (duality). What is the relationship between ultimate and relative reality? Somehow, they get entangled, in a way impossible for us to understand. It is the mystery of Brahman + Atman.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

There was never a "one" in exclusion of anything else. With the creation of "one", all other numbers are created as one is the common unit or denominator of all other numbers.

4 hours ago, tsuki said:

Probably bought himself a bike and felt awesome for needing just one spare tire.

xDxDxD 

I can totally picture Rumi on a unicycle. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

In a way, yes. I'm referring to the intersection of sameness (nonduality) with difference (duality). What is the relationship between ultimate and relative reality? Somehow, they get entangled, in a way impossible for us to understand. It is the mystery of Brahman + Atman.

Thanks but I didn't get the Buddhism reference.  I still have to look into that when I have time. @mandyjw  Rumi had a donkey ?

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck

I think that this video can help you make more sense of the quote. 

Basically, under the umbrella of non-duality is duality... Many "spiritual" people ironically create a dichotomy between duality and non-duality and want to reject the practical and human elements of life just because it is "not real" anyway, so why bother... I think Rumi is tryna say that this mindset is silly

Edited by louhad

1 minute ago, StarStruck said:

@mandyjw  Rumi had a donkey ?

Thought that was Jesus. Maybe we're talking about the same one. Ba dum tss

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@StarStruck

My interpretation is that he's referring to the fact that the Two are actually One. The connection between all things.

20 hours ago, StarStruck said:

"You think because you understand 'one' you must also understand 'two', because one and one make two. But you must also understand 'and'.

-Rumi

What did he mean?

Nothing. (That’s the “point”). What meaning & understanding arises, is contingent the thought, “and”, and... love veils itself of itself with itself by itself. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, louhad said:

@StarStruck

I think that this video can help you make more sense of the quote. 

Basically, under the umbrella of non-duality is duality... Many spiritual people ironically create a dichotomy between duality and non-duality and want to reject the practical and human elements of life just because it is "not real" anyway, so why bother... I think Rumi is tryna say that this mindset is silly

So is there an opposite of duality? So I guess you are saying duality is duality, and nonduality transcends all duality as a wrapper?

1 hour ago, mandyjw said:

Thought that was Jesus. Maybe we're talking about the same one. Ba dum tss

That and until recently it was the poor man's vehicle of that region. A horse was like a ferari. A donkey was a tesla.

59 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Nothing. (That’s the “point”). What meaning & understanding arises, is contingent upon the thought, “and”, and... love veils itself of itself with itself by itself. 

I didn't get the first part of the second sentence. I will think about it.

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck

It can be a very tricky thing, so to speak. Some experience through a veil of self referential thinking. That is, believing a thought about themself could be true, missing they are themself the infinity the thought is made of, the awareness of the thought. Experience is reduced to a concept of reality as if it were something separate, as if they are a separate object in time, as if they are an object in a world. Suffering always points to the present transcendental truth of awareness. Suffering is perpetuated by missing this thought attachment, by one not recognizing how one is creating the suffering. 

And

one

Not. Two. 

What is this which is separate and knowing of meaning & understanding? 

Point to “it”. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

in a system it's not enough to know the parts, you also have to understand the relationship between them