Micca

Political music - RATM, Public Enemy, Idles, Allflaws

131 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am  interested in political or subversive music and how it influences culture and society. I am writing a thesis on the subject so I am gathering information to help me along the way. I find it fascinating how music can influence and inspire political debate.

RATM, Public Enemy, Idles, Kate Tempest, Akala, Allflaws are groups from the US and UK which seem to have an anti establishment edge to their image, sound and lyrics.

Please post any links and videos of any artists that you think might fit into this discussion. I will post stuff I discover as well.

Here is one to start with

Thank you

Good idea. :)

It's not as "activist" as your examples but I think Pink Floyd's Animals is a great criticism of the modern capitalist system, and how we all play a role in that. The three main songs are called Dogs, Pigs and Sheep. Referring to businessmen, politicians and the people.

It's quite a ride, as is to be expected with Pink Floyd. But in terms of quality I think it's up there with their more popular albums.

While the album was released in 1977, here's Roger Waters playing the song "Pigs" while not so subtly referring to Trump.

Thinking of the top of my head - 

John Lennon - Imagine 

BEATLES - The Revolution

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

8 minutes ago, nistake said:

Two bands came to my mind who tackle political/social issues quite a lot:

Boysetsfire

Rise Against

Oh, and how could I forget. Anti-Flag. That band is as political as it gets.

System Of A Down. 

Edited by Opo

A lot of Frank Zappa's music is sociopolitical commentary.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

30 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

Adding content 

Lol, Manson is not light-hearted or conscious at all. 

22 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Good idea. :)

It's not as "activist" as your examples but I think Pink Floyd's Animals is a great criticism of the modern capitalist system, and how we all play a role in that. The three main songs are called Dogs, Pigs and Sheep. Referring to businessmen, politicians and the people.

It's quite a ride, as is to be expected with Pink Floyd. But in terms of quality I think it's up there with their more popular albums.

While the album was released in 1977, here's Roger Waters playing the song "Pigs" while not so subtly referring to Trump.

Totally loving these thanks. What a sound.

19 hours ago, nistake said:

Two bands came to my mind who tackle political/social issues quite a lot:

Boysetsfire

Rise Against

Thanks Im going to check them out

19 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Skinny Puppy.

14 hours ago, K Ghoul said:

Here’s more from the same genre

Liking Anti Flag. This is a new one to me thanks.

Mix of avant-garde music performances, tiny, intermittent, supplementing interviews, and overall a lot of musically oriented sociopolitical commentary.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:30 AM, DoubleYou said:

This was performed in Mexico City 2016 to a massive young crowd. Not only was an ageing Roger Waters disgusted by Trump, so was the youthful crowd. Great synergy and vibe. Every line of the song still rings true today. 

Waters was 73 years old that concert. Impressive. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, Clint Eastwood said:

Are you interested in music with a more activist approach? Like Rage against the Machine? Or with a more general message? Like Imagine-John Lennon? 

And are you specifically looking for left-wing bands? Because if you do your thesis about political music, you should also include some conservative or maybe even religious bands...they have some influence too.

And do you want the songs about politics? or are you also looking at the opinions of musicians in the media? Someone like Ted Nugent is for example really vocal about politics, but his songs aren't...

To be honest it doesn't matter if it's left wing or right, or even religious. Just music that has a stance or political opinion. 

Much commercial music is dumbed down so it's finding music that goes beyond that vapid narrative. I do love Rage against the Machine. They really are a band who are subversive in their lyrics and identity. A very refreshing and powerful act.

I'm going to check out Ted Nugent. Thanks for that.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, Godhead said:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (5).gif

On 1/30/2021 at 2:07 AM, Carl-Richard said:

Mix of avant-garde music performances, tiny, intermittent, supplementing interviews, and overall a lot of musically oriented sociopolitical commentary.

Another crazy visionary. He really was ahead of his time.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:28 AM, Forestluv said:

This was performed in Mexico City 2016 to a massive young crowd. Not only was an ageing Roger Waters disgusted by Trump, so was the youthful crowd. Great synergy and vibe. Every line of the song still rings true today. 

Waters was 73 years old that concert. Impressive. 

Delightful. What a visionary this guy is. Pink Floyd are truly amazing. 

Not strong, only aggressive cause the power ain't directed
That's why we are subjected to the will of the oppressive

Not compassionate, only polite, we well trained
Our sincerity's rehearsed in stage, it's just a game

We chasing after death just to call ourselves brave

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/