Micca

Political music - RATM, Public Enemy, Idles, Allflaws

131 posts in this topic

Gojira has many songs about spirituality and environmentalism. 

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, Arthogaan said:

Gojira has many songs about spirituality and environmentalism. 

Thanks for this. Really liking their stuff. They have a new fan.

Really surprised nobody put up disturbed! They've done several that would fit, this genesis cover is probably one of their most well known counter culture videos.

This was one of their most powerful covers, originally by Simon & Garfunkel apparently about the Kennedy assassination.

Zombie by Cranberries would be my personal pick as I was born in a period of history called the troubles, but you've got that already. The video in that is very powerful

Previous generation to me it was groups like the sex pistols, which had a lingering bit of influence as I grew up. The punk scene in the 70's and 80's in the UK was big. In the 90s we killed it with underground raves, which came about because festivals were being closed down and banned.

This sort anti-establishment culture, moved into things like the prodigy in the early 90s which did dance music. This one simply being entitled their law, but they have firestarter for example. There was also a lot of what was called indie music, which was another name for UK 90s rock.

For the raves generally, it was stuff at the time you could gather in large crowds and mindless dance to, often with a drug culture attached. As you see the album is entitled for the jilted generation. Of which we certainly were, we hated the police and would frequently test the limits of what was legal. For Oasis it was working-class culture getting the spotlight in songs, not so much social change or commentary, but social recognition, which is what this energy became in the years going forward, to be eventually followed after that by culture war we have today.

There is a certain working-class tribalism in the UK which you'll only see properly at a football game these days, or at a pub. There are numerous videos comparing football chants in the UK to the US for example, and like much of Europe that collective energy is channeled into sports as it's shunned or suppressed in the wider society.

Things in life never go away. Anyone saying I hate X, or that X doesn't exist anymore, The energy itself doesn't go away it just reforms. The social pressures change how it is expressed.

Edited by BlueOak

On 7/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, BlueOak said:

Really surprised nobody put up disturbed! They've done several that would fit, this genesis cover is probably one of their most well known counter culture videos.

This was one of their most powerful covers, originally by Simon & Garfunkel apparently about the Kennedy assassination.

Zombie by Cranberries would be my personal pick as I was born in a period of history called the troubles, but you've got that already. The video in that is very powerful

Previous generation to me it was groups like the sex pistols, which had a lingering bit of influence as I grew up. The punk scene in the 70's and 80's in the UK was big. In the 90s we killed it with underground raves, which came about because festivals were being closed down and banned.

This sort anti-establishment culture, moved into things like the prodigy in the early 90s which did dance music. This one simply being entitled their law, but they have firestarter for example. There was also a lot of what was called indie music, which was another name for UK 90s rock.

For the raves generally, it was stuff at the time you could gather in large crowds and mindless dance to, often with a drug culture attached. As you see the album is entitled for the jilted generation. Of which we certainly were, we hated the police and would frequently test the limits of what was legal. For Oasis it was working-class culture getting the spotlight in songs, not so much social change or commentary, but social recognition, which is what this energy became in the years going forward, to be eventually followed after that by culture war we have today.

There is a certain working-class tribalism in the UK which you'll only see properly at a football game these days, or at a pub. There are numerous videos comparing football chants in the UK to the US for example, and like much of Europe that collective energy is channeled into sports as it's shunned or suppressed in the wider society.

Things in life never go away. Anyone saying I hate X, or that X doesn't exist anymore, The energy itself doesn't go away it just reforms. The social pressures change how it is expressed.

Loving these tracks and you insight into some of these genres or scenes. Your description of UK 90's culture is spot on. I guess rave culture was a kind of way of being subversive and rebellious at the time. After punk and the 80s that was much needed. In 90s US it was Hip Hop, in the UK it was dance culture and Es. 

Just now, Micca said:

Loving these tracks and you insight into some of these genres or scenes. Your description of UK 90's culture is spot on. I guess rave culture was a kind of way of being subversive and rebellious at the time. After punk and the 80s that was much needed. In 90s US it was Hip Hop, in the UK it was dance culture and Es. 

Also Oasis offered a kind of hope and glory to the working classes.  The Smiths would complain and moan, while Oasis would cherish and wear their roots as a kind of badge of honour. 

Welcome! @Micca

On 7/26/2022 at 9:10 AM, Micca said:

Also Oasis offered a kind of hope and glory to the working classes.  The Smiths would complain and moan, while Oasis would cherish and wear their roots as a kind of badge of honour. 

Yes that's what a lot of music is about. A lot of the time i'd break it down to:

Finding an identity. Hope, when you are younger and hear yourself in song it validates some of your life experiences.
Breaking the status quo or convention, which music does in its continued evolution, but there are big jumps sometimes when new genres come into fashion. These new genres bring new fashions, behaviors, a new feel to the music, a new group identity that people seek out. It feels good when you have things in common that you enjoy with a large group of people.
Fun when fun is needed.
Breaking down of class divides, or other identities to have a common ground.

Here are some documentaries.

Before punk we had the Mods Culture which I know very little about, before them there were the rockers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)

Here are two Rave Documentaries. This first one is excellent. 

Acid House, these videos talk about giving people an identity and fun in a time without much fun. They mentions it being a product of thatcher's culture and the way she changed the culture to be more capitalist, but at the same time still being based around rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_house

After raves and acid house had passed. There were various evolutions of house music, I can't remember all the genre names. Back to basics was a night run in Leeds and a few other places. Never any trouble, great time. In early 2000's it was the cutting edge of music, and if you are studying music history, in the late 90's early 2000's for England when the races too were broken up by police, it's the thing to name for house music.

Hope it gives you some breadcrumbs to follow or adds some context.

All the best.

Edited by BlueOak

I was reading a book called, 'Music and Politics: A Critical Introduction', Book by James Garratt. Thought you might like it.

Its academically written. However, I found it more accessible, i.e. better written, than other academic books.

Anyhow, here are some songs.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

This might count as a political music, and it's a cypher about Trump:

Not the best freestyle, but it's simple in it's message. Also a brief analysis of it here:

On 02/08/2022 at 2:46 PM, Danioover9000 said:

This might count as a political music, and it's a cypher about Trump:

Not the best freestyle, but it's simple in it's message. Also a brief analysis of it here:

Cool stuff

On 28/07/2022 at 9:33 PM, BlueOak said:

Welcome! @Micca

Yes that's what a lot of music is about. A lot of the time i'd break it down to:

Finding an identity. Hope, when you are younger and hear yourself in song it validates some of your life experiences.
Breaking the status quo or convention, which music does in its continued evolution, but there are big jumps sometimes when new genres come into fashion. These new genres bring new fashions, behaviors, a new feel to the music, a new group identity that people seek out. It feels good when you have things in common that you enjoy with a large group of people.
Fun when fun is needed.
Breaking down of class divides, or other identities to have a common ground.

Here are some documentaries.

Before punk we had the Mods Culture which I know very little about, before them there were the rockers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)

Here are two Rave Documentaries. This first one is excellent. 

Acid House, these videos talk about giving people an identity and fun in a time without much fun. They mentions it being a product of thatcher's culture and the way she changed the culture to be more capitalist, but at the same time still being based around rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_house

After raves and acid house had passed. There were various evolutions of house music, I can't remember all the genre names. Back to basics was a night run in Leeds and a few other places. Never any trouble, great time. In early 2000's it was the cutting edge of music, and if you are studying music history, in the late 90's early 2000's for England when the races too were broken up by police, it's the thing to name for house music.

Hope it gives you some breadcrumbs to follow or adds some context.

All the best.

Thanks for these docs. Will be going through them this week.

On 02/08/2022 at 1:39 PM, Ulax said:

I was reading a book called, 'Music and Politics: A Critical Introduction', Book by James Garratt. Thought you might like it.

Its academically written. However, I found it more accessible, i.e. better written, than other academic books.

Anyhow, here are some songs.

Fascinating stuff. Love discovering music like this. Just shows how rebellion is rooted in musical history.

@Micca Ye music like this has a special place in my heart

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

On 30/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, Danioover9000 said:

The funniest political rap music I've listened to so far:

yes it is funny stuff