Husseinisdoingfine

Are Elon Musk's ideas here unhealthy?

128 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

@Yog No, not yet.  I signed up and was thinking about it, but it kind of felt like a distraction at this point in my life.  You get typed?

Nop :/, not by them, do not have the cash tight now, I think you have to subscribe to their paid courses and that they'll type you, or something of that kind, but I've been using their method on myself and others, at least what they teach in their beginner courses, not sure how good am I with it though. Cant figure out if I am an INTJ or INFJ jumper.

Btw I signed up on that "Objective Personality" telegram group I found on Reddit. You can submit 30 min voice recordings there and the mods and other members can type you. I haven't done it yet but will probably do it soon. Its good to get some outside eyes on this.

O.o Ooo

1 hour ago, Yog said:

Objective Personality" telegram group I found on Reddit

ah!  Sounds nice.  Perfect.  Can you send me a link to it?  I'm definitely suspicious of typing myself, including the confidence I have with what general ball park i put myself in.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

If you're in your late teens or early 20s and want to accomplish something huge, I think there's a place for putting in 80-hour weeks for a year or two. Once you hit your 30s or later it's not really energetically possible any more.

Don't get me wrong... you will get burned out by the end. If you have relationships or friendships, they'll need to be put on the side so you can focus on just work, and many of them won't survive it.

But at the same time, devoting everything to a project for a year or two isn't a huge price to pay if it's going to result in a wildly successful business that might make you financially independent for the rest of your life. 

If someone guaranteed me a million dollars to work 80 hours a week for a year I'd do it. If you currently work a job that pays you $50,000 per year, wouldn't you rather work yourself to the bone for 1 year straight and then stop working and do whatever you want for 10+ years?

The biggest problem is not becoming a workaholic like Musk and not being able to stop once you start.

You also have to be smart about it. You won't be able to do it unless it's your life purpose and something you're super passionate about. You have to want to wake up and work 12 hours straight even after being at it for months. Your whole life would need to come second to your work. Someone else would need to take care of your meals, laundry, etc to give you maximum time to work. You would probably need to take a couple of naps per day as well to get some rest once you start becoming unproductive.

On 26/01/2021 at 10:48 AM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

He's talking about working 100 hour weeks, is this a reasonable thing to do?

1611620959585.jpg

Absurdity. The human mechanism isn’t made for it yet alone domesticated to maintain such a living standard. Ones active contribution would depreciate quicker than Donald Trumps political success.

On 26/01/2021 at 0:33 PM, 4201 said:

There's a massive difference between studies made on employees and someone working out of passion. If you get rid of the work/free-time duality you stop considering "work" as stressful and it stops having a negative impact.

Would you burn out from playing legos 80 hours a week? Then why would you burn out from coding? The difference between the 2 is conceptual. What burns you down isn't the nature of the work itself but the relationship with it (or thought).

It’s not merely conceptual why ones efforts decreases, it’s the limits of cognitive capacity. Regardless whether it’s enjoyable or it isn’t, 80-100 hours of anything cognivtely demanding is beyond the maintainable limits of the human mind. If you truly believe this you need to experiment. I almost guarantee you will not persist in any cognitively demanding task for this period. 

This is a delusional ideal of pragmatism and hedonism. Overextending ones functional capacities for the purposes of pleasurable utility.

Edited by Jacobsrw

On 29/01/2021 at 2:19 PM, Leo Gura said:

So while Musk is undoubtedly an ego-maniac, unlike most Wall Street types or CEOs, he's actually harnessing that ego's energy to help mankind is important ways for raising consciousness.

You definitely cannot dismiss Musk as yet another greedy vacuous capitalist Wall Street banker. He's much more than that. But he's still not exhibiting a very healthy or conscious lifestyle (by my high standards).

This is quite a crude and disingenuous way to classify Elon Musk. Although his completely deluded with pragmatic ideals he does appear to be lost in narcissism as you seem to be suggesting. Quite the opposite considering his global contributions. Rather he appears to be lost in the grandeur of his own ideas. He is the toxic symbolic representation of a visionary. Wherein, his visions are fulfilled by ridulous measures in an attempt to achieve them. This not ego-mania it’s advantageousism.

Looks like God wants to explore the infinite.

I guess that would be the physical infinite?