Husseinisdoingfine

Are Elon Musk's ideas here unhealthy?

128 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Selfishness is Love.

spiritual dogma or truth :D @Leo Gura

Edited by Yali

12 hours ago, No Self said:

This is partly true, except he is not solely motivated by profit but the cause of achieving sustainability for humanity.

I'm skeptical of this. Especially considering how he would massively downplay covid and refuse governor's orders to shut down his tesla factory when he would receive 750 million in in tesla stock if his company hit their quarterly goal.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Elon Musk is the perfect example of a very smart stupid person.

I've basically been describing him as a dumb person's idea of a smart person for several years now. 

1 hour ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Education on the monetary system, and changing our subconscious beliefs about money, and start seeing it for what it really is- energy- is how you start your journey to abundance. Because, if you believe money is the root of all evil, the cause of all sins etc, no matter how much you get gifted you'd eventual spew it all up the walls. 

Yes, there's systematic errors to why the rich get richer, and poor get poorer, but there's also much more obvious reasons. 

The rich educate their family, children, friends etc on how to make money work for them, how to grow money. 

The poor have no such knowledge. I grew up in a pretty 'working class' area, not surrounded by money, I also play Cricket which is a 'posh' sport, it's easy to see why some people are rich & why some others just by how they speak of money, and how they speak of themselves. 

So, I'm not saying we live in a fair & equal system, we clearly don't but, for a lot of people, if they understood money & changed their negative beliefs around it, they'd see a lot more coming their way, and keep a lot more!

@LfcCharlie4 I agree. We need more implementation of this, not some simplistic understanding of spiral dynamics which is full of errors. 

Glad you liked it.

6 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Raw selfishness is what got us here in the first place. 

Environmental efforts have only been dog shit because of how corporations have been continuously and knowingly standing in the way of all of it. Why? Selfish needs. The survival of the corporation above anything else. 

How is that mentality going to fix things that need this high level of cooperation? For long amounts of time. It won't.

At some level, there will need to be sacrifice. Corporations need to be able to see that infinite profit is not sustainable, for anyone. And no CEO is going to want to do this, ever, unless the collective wakes up to itself and starts demanding it. 

Of course, I don't disagree. I'm not condoning the behaviour of many corperations and the negative impact they've had on the environment as a result of selfish greed. But everything is a product of selfishness. Any efforts to stop environmental destruction are also pure selfishness, no matter how it is achieved. Whether it's a bunch of environmentalists telling everyone to plant 100 hundred trees, or a crazed capitalistic business man building a business, its all selfishness. So you can't say that a selfless approach is what is needed. Sorry, reality is much more brutal and unforgiving.

My thinking is that preventing environmental collapse is such a monumental task, that only something as powerful as raw greedy selfishness is up to the challenge. If that selfishness turns out to be building a 1 trillion dollar business called Tesla then so be it. And it is! Look at what Tesla are doing. They've done more to improve our environmental efforts than literally any other company or government. 

I have yet to see any government or non profit make any significant contribution to climate change. It's just not going to happen - unless they are forced into by the fear of death and loss.

4 hours ago, aurum said:

Musk to me represents just about everything wrong with stage Orange.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy or has bad intentions. He's passionate, he's charismatic. But he's in his head.

He's obsessed with science, rationality, technology, work, etc.

This is not how you save the planet.

If anything, this is the mindset that needs to be transcended in order for healing to occur.

I disagree. This IS how you save the planet. No hippie environmentalists are going to do whats required. We can't just keep planting trees whilst there are billions of petrol cars on the road. Massive developments and innovations in battery technology and energy storage are necessary. Not to mention the massive necessity of solar power. A huge change in infrastructure across the entire planet is necessary. This cannot occur with a change in mindset haha. But it's exactly what Tesla is doing - literally. 

I understand your point. A radical development in peoples mindset is also necessary. This stuff will happen, but it cannot be forced. It happens slowly and naturally. Turns out the planet will be an environmental wasteland before that happens. 

14 hours ago, Preety_India said:

And exactly that is the reason why he wanted business open during Covid. 

Yea so much for caring. 

@Preety_India

Perhaps It's down more to misinformation rather than be selfish necessarily.

I think he thought that the effects of a lagging economy would outweigh covid, given that a large percentage of the population thought the economy would kill more people, myself included initially, although I realized I was wrong. 

Then again, it could also be greed too. 

Ok my stance on the 80 - 100 hours / week thing is that it's not sutainable & a terrible way to live...

However I think sometimes it can be worthwhile if you're really passionate about achieving something. 

Like plan on working 80-100 hours (not long term) but for the next 6 months so I can escape wage slavery & become rich relative to my age. 

I don't mean 80 hours on 1 job, I mean just constant work that includes side hustles, education, studying ect... 

I'd rather work 100 hours to get a key milestone out the way in 4-6 months then spend 4 years doing it. 

Edited by Striving for more

2 hours ago, Space said:

I disagree. This IS how you save the planet. No hippie environmentalists are going to do whats required.

Careful about critiquing the hippies. They are a massive leap in consciousness compared to Orange.

2 hours ago, Space said:

We can't just keep planting trees whilst there are billions of petrol cars on the road.

I never made that claim. Certainly petrol cars are a problem. But what is the solution?

There might be more value to planting trees than you’re giving credit.

2 hours ago, Space said:

Massive developments and innovations in battery technology and energy storage are necessary. Not to mention the massive necessity of solar power. A huge change in infrastructure across the entire planet is necessary. This cannot occur with a change in mindset haha. But it's exactly what Tesla is doing - literally. 

I don’t doubt that solar power might play a role in our transition. But again, be careful about trying to solve problems caused by technology and development with more technology and development.

The fact is we have the technology already to live totally in harmony with the planet. But what people are asking for is to continue economic growth and our current high energy / consumption lifestyle.

That’s the reason it looks like we don’t have the tech. We have to realize that people are asking for the impossible. No tech is going to offset continual economic growth.

Loving a new world into being.

Energy healing, music making, tree hugging, sacred being.

YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/k_gzVJIeTlI

12 hours ago, Preety_India said:

so the price of a Tesla is like $99000, which is a hell of a price? 

I'm thinking about Bill Gates. 

The computers used to sell at $1000 to$ 3000 in the 90s. 

So the price dropped over time and everyone could buy it within a decade itself 

I don't see this happening with Tesla, because the price is too high to drop. 

Preety, you don't get what the game is about.

Teslas will be as cheap to use as any electronic device you use right now. You forget that you don't need to own a car to use it.

Tesla aims for fleets of autonomous cars that you can rent for cents and don't require any license to drive.

Forget about buying a car. In the future, practically no-one will have to buy a car.

2 hours ago, aurum said:

Careful about critiquing the hippies. They are a massive leap in consciousness compared to Orange.

I think Elon is a kind of a hippie. The label "hacker", suits him better though. He is stage Green IMO, just instead of depending mainly on cultural capital as hippies do, he has hard monetary capital on his hands. But he combines it with the understanding of today's culture, he is relatable to people with all this "we will create a real-life anime girl" or $499 flamethrowers stuff. He works in tech industries, too, so that's why he is a Hacker.

Stage Green businesses are often managed in a traditional way. Tesla might have slightly worse work conditions than your average Green company, due to the twisted work-ethic of the owner of the company, but it gets a pass from me.

I don't personally think that Elon is money-hungry. He wants to secure capital for his other ventures, mainly SpaceX, to make sure that stuff like space mining will become an economically viable option

Innovation does best when there is a monopoly. Rivalry on the free-market undermines progress because the limited amount of brilliant technicians is divided between companies, working in parallel on similar projects, wasting both their brain-power and capital. So either the government has to take a lead or we have to accept the domination of big-tech, that is if we want to get to break-throughs like space mining or 100% renewable energy as soon as possible.

13 hours ago, datamonster said:

If reality can't be better why bother improving it? 

The improving of it is already baked into it.

What makes reality Good is that it can't stop infinitely improving itself.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

15 hours ago, Yog said:

@Yog  Luh dees peeps.  I think they're on to something with their system.  I wonder though how much they consider stages of development in their model.  I know they said to me they do consider other psychological theories and models and that they did mention that they think or notice there are levels of consciousness within personality types.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

1 hour ago, Girzo said:

I don't personally think that Elon is money-hungry. He wants to secure capital for his other ventures, mainly SpaceX, to make sure that stuff like space mining will become an economically viable option

Innovation does best when there is a monopoly. Rivalry on the free-market undermines progress because the limited amount of brilliant technicians is divided between companies, working in parallel on similar projects, wasting both their brain-power and capital. So either the government has to take a lead or we have to accept the domination of big-tech, that is if we want to get to break-throughs like space mining or 100% renewable energy as soon as possible.

Consider this me blowing off steam. The problem as I see it with everything you just said is that we don't need innovation.

As I mentioned to the previous user, we have invented all the technology we would need to solve the major problems of today. It is not matter of needing new tech. That includes space mining, hyperloops, AI or whatever else.

Even renewable energy comes with its own set of environmental problems. 100% renewable energy will not happen without much deeper systemic shifts.

And not only do we not need new tech, the problems of today are largely caused by the tech we have.

Machines rule our lives. And it's killing us and the planet.

This is what the end of paradigm looks like.

This is not to say beneficial tech could not be built. Indeed, it obviously a skill humanity possesses.

But we have to first admit that we don't know what we're doing.

But someone like Elon does not understand this. I don't care how much of a "bro" he is, I don't see him as offering serious solutions to our collective problems.

Then we give him a pass when he holds an absolutely obscene about of wealth because "well, he's just working on such big problems".

No, I don't give a fuck. There's no reason he should have that much wealth. The system is broken.

Loving a new world into being.

Energy healing, music making, tree hugging, sacred being.

YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/k_gzVJIeTlI

12 hours ago, aurum said:

He's obsessed with science, rationality, technology, work, etc.

This is not how you save the planet.

o.O

@aurum Why so? 

Edited by captainamerica

Science: saving us from a world torn apart by science, since 10,000 BC.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Science: saving us from a world torn apart by science, since 10,000 BC.

@Leo Gura Rubbing woods together: the original sin. :P

img_0748.jpg?w=640

Edited by captainamerica

9 hours ago, aurum said:

I never made that claim. Certainly petrol cars are a problem. But what is the solution?

There might be more value to planting trees than you’re giving credit.

I don’t doubt that solar power might play a role in our transition. But again, be careful about trying to solve problems caused by technology and development with more technology and development.

The fact is we have the technology already to live totally in harmony with the planet. But what people are asking for is to continue economic growth and our current high energy / consumption lifestyle.

That’s the reason it looks like we don’t have the tech. We have to realize that people are asking for the impossible. No tech is going to offset continual economic growth.

100% I don't deny the hippy consciousness. I am a Green hippy at heart ^_^ I just recognise its limitations. It's why I perceive Musk in a much better light than a lot of people. He has a lot of Orange, but I also recognise his Green heart and Green intentions. He wants to save the world, but he's doing it with a rational, logical and scientific mindset, which is people think he's only in it for the money.

The solution to the car problem is a complete replacement of all petrol cars over the next 20-30 years, in addition to a complete transformation of our energy network. This has to happen - full stop. Governments don't have any incentive to do this. So it has to be done through a capitalistic business. Tesla is forcing this into action by producing electric vehicles that are better than petrol cars. This is forcing all the other car companies to follow or they'll go bankrupt. 

I don't deny that we shouldn't be planting trees. It's extremely important. Only it won't solve the environmental crisis. Its a much deeper issue.

I agree with your points about our consumption lifestyle. We absolutely have to transition to Green. But you know that this will take a long time. Many many decades for the world to transition. But even then, we'd still have billions of people driving around in their petrol cars. Unless they're replaced.

Musk certainly has Green in him. Just not on this work ethic stuff.