Husseinisdoingfine

Are Elon Musk's ideas here unhealthy?

128 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I don't like Musk. He is too much into capitalism and the whole toxic Orange. Kinda drunk it. 

He wanted his own businesses to be open during Covid. What a selfish man. 

He didn't want to think about people, just his own profit. 

Screams Greed selfishness all the way. Even when he makes millions in profit 

This is just straight up incorrect and a gross misjudgement of Musk. 

Of course he's selfish, but no more selfish than any other normal person. Whilst he did make some questionable comments about Covid-19, its important to view them through his lense, from his perspective. He wants to make the transition to a sustainable future happen as quickly as possible. He is literally trying to save the planet. This wasn't about money haha! He has more money than he'll ever need. Also, as far as I understand, none of the workers were pressured or forced to work during the period of lockdown last year that you're referring to.

Musk is a lot more Green than people think. Hardly toxic Orange. Compare what Musk is doing to the Koch brothers or to Trump's shady businesses? Regarding the 100 hours work week in the OP, obviously i'm not a supporter of this. To judge Musk on this one quote is absurd...

To criticise or demonise Musk in general is really dumb. And its usually the progressives that are doing so! The irony is ridiculous.

@Space if that's the case then I support him. 

I used to support him before, until the Covid fiasco happened which caused me to be suspicious of him. 

But you're right, maybe I was blindsided by the whole covid thing. 

INTP loner....... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream. Love it. 

Preety preety

@Space He has Green elements to him, but also plenty of toxic toxic Orange. His attitudes about work and work-life balance are some of the most toxic possible.

You can find interviews of him where he talks about how miserable his life actually is.

Raw ambition comes with many upsides and downsides. He is busy saving the world from ambitious ego-maniacs and capitalists like himself. Wise it is not.

Elon Musk is the perfect example of a very smart stupid person.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

The only way to work like that healthily would be in cycles. 

For example, it's winter here & we're in lockdown til at least March, so the perfect time for a work focused cycle. 

Then come Summer, when things are open, Sports are back on, trips away etc, is the perfect time for a chilled out cycle at work, and more of focus on just enjoying life! 

Of course, if you have a 9-5 this isn't possible, but more the reason to break free & become self-Employed in some way, shape or form. 

It's the same with the whole 'Dopamine Detox' trend, sure, it's great for productivity to have tunnel vision on a project for a short period of time and cut out everything else, however, do it for too long & too often and suddenly you'll stop enjoying your life, become less creative & end up resenting your work, not to mention burnout. 

Think about Athletes / Writers, they work incredibly hard during the season or when writing a book / movie / show etc, then once they finish it they take time OFF, recharge, relax and enjoy life, then they are fired up for the next project and season. 

Life = Cyclical. 

Also, the balance is different for everyone as well, some people only want to work 20 Hours / Week, some want to work more, and this will change with age, a 22 year old fresh out of college will have different values & ambitions compared to the 67 year old on his final year of full time work. 

Most importantly, all that matters is what you want to do and how you want to live your life, just cos X person says they don't watch movies or see friends, doesn't mean that you have to do the same, of course take advice from a wide range of your inspirations, just don't create subtle ideologies about it. 

This is so common in typical orange 'Hustle Culture' which boils down to Work = Good, Play = Bad, most of the time xD

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

30 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Space He has Green elements to him, but also plenty of toxic toxic Orange. His attitudes about work and work-life balance are some of the most toxic possible.

You can find interviews of him where he talks about how miserable his life actually is.

Raw ambition comes with many upsides and downsides. He is busy saving the world from ambitious ego-maniacs and capitalists like himself. Wise it is not.

Elon Musk is the perfect example of a very smart stupid person.

@Leo Gura I don't see how he is an egomaniac.

2 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

@Leo Gura I don't see how he is an egomaniac.

Haha

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Haha

@Leo GuraRead a lot about him through the years and can only come up with one instance where he threatened the author not to work on his biography. But that's an isolated instance.

I don't agree. Seems like a passionate person making huge positive impact and providing massive value who is stressed and has problem communicating well, likely in his personal life as well. 

Edited by captainamerica

@captainamerica His entire life and career is built on massive egotism. But of course he has a noble side to him. Like I said, ego isn't all bad.

You're not really understanding yet how ego works. There's a lot to it. It's not just about being an asshole.

I do see some positive aspects to his personality. 

Preety preety

@Leo Gura If it's true then it is very counterintuitive. Can you give an example in the case of Elon's career that makes him an egomaniac?

I thought Anger, Trauma/Hurt, and feeling Superior is what makes a person egotistic.

Edited by captainamerica

Anyway he seems like a geek that wants to make his ideas come true.

He also happens to be very inventive and has a strong work ethic, something that is a killer combo. But doing this for money, hard to believe, It looks like money its a means to an end, Star-link being a good eg, get loads of cash to fund rockets.

It will probably be used for the automated driving ect. As I remember one of the goals for Tesla was to turn your self driving car into an asset, reducing the need for a family to have multiple cars because you can call your tesla on a button where-ever you are and it can also be used to generate revenue as an automatic uber or a cab, giving families more independence.

Its the very same thing with the solar panels-roof thing, its free independent energy for any home, one that can be stored for later and even sold, generating more revenue for the home.

Still hard to type him btw, might be INTP, might be INTJ. Quite hard to distinguish if he is a decider or an observer.
Leaning more on the INTP side because of the over the top edgy self>smack the tribe humor.

Edited by Yog

O.o Ooo

10 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

He's talking about working 100 hour weeks, is this a reasonable thing to do?

No. He's right though. If you're just working like the average person, don't expect above average results. That's logical.

But it's not just about the time you put in, you also gotta do the right things. If you're just breaking stones for 100 hours you won't get very far. That's also logical.

Edited by datamonster

Musk is not doing it for money, he's doing it for the ambitious ego.

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@captainamerica His entire life and career is built on massive egotism. But of course he has a noble side to him. Like I said, ego isn't all bad.

You're not really understanding yet how ego works. There's a lot to it. It's not just about being an asshole.

This reminds me of how most fathers work. If you had/have a father that is stage orange, blue, or even red, chances are he was a very selfish man (not demonizing here) but who worked extraordinarily hard sacrificing his mental and physical health and spiritual wellbeing. But the same selfishness allowed you to have a material comfortable life which allows you to more easily to pursue your passions and spirituality. So selfishness and ignorance were ultimately a very selfless thing for your father to do.

Same with Musk, his egoic ambitions will ultimately be a selfless service to humanity.

45 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Musk is not doing it for money, he's doing it for the ambitious ego.

@Leo Gura If you had that level of ambition how will you do it differently than Elon Musk in order to balance it out? Just the career part of his life.  

Ambition itself doesn't seem wrong and I have read about enlightened people using it. 

Any Ambition that desires to "Rule or Ruin" seems egotistic to me. Maybe excessive ambition as well, but that is subjective. Don't see those with Elon Musk. Are there any other criteria? We don't want a lack of ego hood either. That is antithetical to enlightenment. 

Edited by captainamerica

I think he also does it for money. 

Like for example if his net worth is 185 bn, he can boast later that it has increased to 300bn.

That serves as an ego boost as well. 

To keep setting a new record for the net worth. 

Preety preety

@Vrubel if his initiatives are really helping the environment in a big way, then good for him 

I didn't see much change in the environment though. 

Not trying to sound naive, where is this change exactly taking place? 

Like in what respect? 

Where are all his environmental friendly cars? 

Preety preety

So when Musk says that he wants to see the light of consciousness continue, to not be extinguished, is that just his brand?
You think that it is not actually because he has a love for life and consciousness? That it's not that he wants to be the person running massive efforts to accelerate the transition that could ensure that? (sustainable transport, multiplanetary survival, ai symbiosis, etc.)

@Preety_India Tesla hasn't launched in India yet, but they are working on that this year.

@mikelyons oK I don't know much about this, so I might appear really stupid asking these questions 

Is this Tesla car really good for the environment?

And does everyone in the USA have a Tesla?

I'm just trying to know the extent of his benefit to the environment and how practical it has been so far? 

Preety preety

@Preety_India  I see many Tesla's on the road here in the USA, quite a few more in recent years but we started seeing them around about 8 years ago. Maybe 5% of the cars I see, depending on how nice the area you're in is.

The key value proposition is that they don't consume gasoline, with autonomous driving on the horizon (meaning increased safety).