Husseinisdoingfine

Are Elon Musk's ideas here unhealthy?

126 posts in this topic

He's talking about working 100 hour weeks, is this a reasonable thing to do?

1611620959585.jpg

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

I think having to work extra hours every now and then is fine but regularly it can be taxing. I mean from what i have learned in my management classes, it's not the best way to create a ton of output. By working that hard, you maybe sacrificing the quality of your work (not to mention your sanity) which means you won't get much benefit for the effort you are putting in. 

A lot of this is the hustle culture bs. Stage orange taken too far to the point where it sabotages the very efficiency it wanted to achieve. Work hard but take time to take care of yourself, physically and emotionally. Taking time for yourself and your loved ones is an investment if you want to think of it that way. Naturally as a result you will move to stage green because you realize that what you are doing isn't making you more efficient rather to be efficient you need to be in touch with good relationships and practice self care. 

I wouldn't recommend literally working 100 hours a week but I would say find a life purpose that makes you want to put in quality effort and make you want to go above and beyond for your vision. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

The heat that you curse in the summer is the same one you yearn for in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

is this a reasonable thing to do?

It's a very dumb thing to do. It will destroy your health and your happiness.

Typical stage Orange toxic mindset.

Studies have been done that show that working beyond 40 hrs per week for more than a few weeks ruins job performance. If Elon Musk worked all his employees 80-100 works per week all his companies would crash and burn in a few years.

He himself can do it because he's not actually doing serious technical work himself. You can't code 80 hrs a week for years on end without disastrous results.

And from a spiritual POV it's dumber than a pile of rocks.

"No one on their deathbed has ever said, Oh God! I wish I worked more."

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

I agree here, this is the exact stage Orange mindset that I hate. 

Kinda makes me hate Orange, though Orange can be much better without the toxicity. 

Overwork yourself to death. You gotta be asking why you live, do you work to live or do you live to work? 

Create your own life system. 

Preety preety

And then my dear, you can take a bath in suds. 

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Studies have been done that show that working beyond 40 hrs per week for more than a few weeks ruins job performance.

There's a massive difference between studies made on employees and someone working out of passion. If you get rid of the work/free-time duality you stop considering "work" as stressful and it stops having a negative impact.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't code 80 hrs a week for years on end without disastrous results.

Would you burn out from playing legos 80 hours a week? Then why would you burn out from coding? The difference between the 2 is conceptual. What burns you down isn't the nature of the work itself but the relationship with it (or thought).

That being said it's pretty scummy from Elon to try and push this "work all the time" agenda. He definitely uses it for the sake of pushing his employees for his benefit. (Just like he pushed people to not care about covid for his benefit earlier in 2020). I would never work more than 40h/week at a job under someone else but I would gladly spend every waking second trying to escape wage slavery, as long as it feels good to do so.

Edited by 4201

This is nonsense.

Working at max 30 - 35 hours/week is far than enough in my opinion. Of course sometimes it might be necessary to push beyond that, but there's no need to turn it into a competition. If I work more than 35 - 40 hours, I feel highly drained. After 45 hours, it becomes unsustainable for me.

Also the tasks that someone do needs to be taken into account. If it's an highly cognitively demanding task like programming, 4 hours/day is already a lot. But for administrative work 6-7 hours/day would be fine.

There's no need to overwork, someone killed himself that way at a company where I worked in the past.

Contact me for web development services (WordPress, SEO, Angular, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.)

The above quote may be taken out of context.

If someone is starting up a business, there may be a period where extreme hours need to be worked in order to get it off the ground. I know a guy who did this with a couple of bakeries he was running, and over a number of years he became very wealthy and was able to sell the businesses for a large sum. 

If working for someone else, working extreme hours does not bring nearly the same benefit. 'Work smarter not harder' would be the advice here. The question becomes one of how the income being made is invested.

2 hours ago, 4201 said:

There's a massive difference between studies made on employees and someone working out of passion. If you get rid of the work/free-time duality you stop considering "work" as stressful and it stops having a negative impact.

Musk is not a healthy guy. His work certainly stresses him out. Just because you're passionate about it does not mean it isn't stressful. The opposite is often true. A dude standing all day at Walmart is not stressed much, other than his feet.

Would you burn out from playing legos 80 hours a week?

Yes, you would.

Then why would you burn out from coding? The difference between the 2 is conceptual.

Dude, you are talking pure shit.

You have no clue how 80 hrs/wk of coding will destroy your life, even if you enjoy coding.

Game developers routinely burn out and leave the industry within 5 years because of this bullshit mindset.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

I don't like Musk. He is too much into capitalism and the whole toxic Orange. Kinda drunk it. 

He wanted his own businesses to be open during Covid. What a selfish man. 

He didn't want to think about people, just his own profit. 

Screams Greed selfishness all the way. Even when he makes millions in profit 

Preety preety

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Dude, you are talking pure shit.

You have no clue how 80 hrs/wk of coding will destroy your life, even if you enjoy coding.

I can vouch for this. It's always been a (lesser) goal of mine to make this certain video game, and I finally did it about a month ago.

The process was absolutely grueling. I worked late into the night every day and it was highly destructive. I also took a whole month off from burnout at one point.

Doesn't matter how much you love the thing; balancing it with the rest of your life is unspeakably important 

13 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I don't like Musk. He is too much into capitalism and the whole toxic Orange. Kinda drunk it. 

This is partly true, except he is not solely motivated by profit but the cause of achieving sustainability for humanity. He has single-handedly brought about transformation in the car industry after 100+ years of procrastination and pro-fossil-fuel excuse-making. No one 50 years ago would have imagined that in 2021, most cars and most energy production would still be powered by 19th century piston engines and filthy oil pulled out of the ground. Elon Musk is one of the few people with the vision and the power to bring change to the situation.

It has been said that he was bullied as a child, and some of his antics are a kind of overcompensation. The cult-of-personality aspect and the elements of greed are there as well. Compared to Jeff Bezos, at least he stands for something beyond money.

@No Self ok I don't think he did this alone. 

Of course he must have a research team of scientists who actually did it for him. 

Isn't he like an entrepreneur? 

Anyway I give him credit for the environment stance 

But a man who is so environment focused probably would've never made such a silly unwise statement during Covid.. 

That particular response casts a huge doubt on his credibility. 

Because I'm aware that a lot of people in the Tech industry take credit for other's work. 

Preety preety

12 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@No Self ok I don't think he did this alone. 

Of course he must have a research team of scientists who actually did it for him. 

Absolutely. His job is to find the best people and put them to work. This is an artform in itself.

He originally made a name for himself by being one of the inventors of the PayPal system that eBay uses to enable easy international credit card transactions, then used those profits to turn his attention to making the original Tesla Roadster car. It was based on an existing Lotus model but modified as an EV. Its specifications were absolutely mind-blowing for the time and broke the stereotypes about EVs being slow and impractical golf carts.

Then Tesla began manufacturing their own models and moving into the mainstream. The stunning success against all odds is what has caused Tesla's crazy high share price and made Musk the world's richest person. The rest of the car industry has always been averse to EVs as they do not require expensive (profitable) servicing, nor do they have thousands of moving parts to break down. The fact that they seldom offered EVs to consumers at any price is a giveaway. They would have happily taken another 50-100 years to bring about any sort of clean energy. It is very corrupt and complacent at a time when human activities are causing a global mass extinction.

I agree that his stance regarding COVID represented a disregard for others. Most people want to either brand him a heroic savior or a ruthless capitalist, when he seems to be both simultaneously. 

Edited by No Self

@No Self hahahahhaah xDxDxD

Then he didn't do it himself. He only hired someone. 

True blooded capitalist. 

Bwahahahahahaha. 

Preety preety

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

He wanted his own businesses to be open during Covid. What a selfish man. 

He didn't want to think about people, just his own profit. 

Screams Greed selfishness all the way. Even when he makes millions in profit 

Musk really cares about a lot of Global issues. He is a workaholic and sometimes shows signs of extreme stress manifesting in weird ways. 

Edited by captainamerica

Just now, captainamerica said:

Musk really cares about a lot of Global issues. 

And exactly that is the reason why he wanted business open during Covid. 

Yea so much for caring. 

Preety preety

29 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

And exactly that is the reason why he wanted business open during Covid. 

Yea so much for caring. 

"Stress makes you stupid" xD

i am sure there is more to the situation though.

Edited by captainamerica

@Husseinisdoingfine Look at the face accompanying this picture. Just look at it.

Is it a reasonable thing to do? His dead stare tells the whole story.

The true heresy is hearsay.

@captainamerica

44 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

"Stress makes you stupid" xD

i am sure there is more to the situation though.

Yes there is definitely more to the situation. 

And that more is..... 

Money 

Preety preety

For me it would be hell to code (except web design) for more than 4 hours a day / 20 hours a week. And I know I'm not the only one. Many programmers with a regular 9 to 5 report that they usually hit a plateau mid shift and just fuck around unless they're in the flow for the whole 8 hours.

Edited by Michal__