onilsson

Are You Vegan?

96 posts in this topic

@SFRL Yes I definitely have a little hippy inside me on my good days ;) just for the record,  I have been living with acne and stomache issues my whole life, and the plantebased lifestye has changed that for me completely, so that's where my main passion comes from when it comes to elliminating meat and dairy. The enviormental and animal part is ofc a fastgrowing factor, that's difficult to ignore. 

@Little Plant @Spacious @Socrates @RossE @Michael569

Thanks very much Little Plant for all the quotes, very inspiring. 
Coming back to the original topic linking veganism with growth:

On 10/3/2016 at 9:33 PM, onilsson said:

Spiral dynamics: 
The ego realizes it's own backfiring mechanisms. At a higher stage - green or green+ I don't see how one could not be vegan. At these stages one would have enough awareness and big picture thinking to realize where there food is coming from.

On 10/6/2016 at 5:13 AM, Neill said:

It can be disconcerting at times to be on a forum that claims to be such high consciousness and yet so many continue to ignore something so basic

I looks like many people who achieved enlightment, or at least a high level of development, are not vegan. 
Like the Dalai Lama teaching Compassion and Love, and still eating meat. 
That just sounds very illogical to me.

Any insights why this is happening? 

@Roxane Enlightened people have usually reduced their carnal cravings to minimum. They do not stuff their fat bellies with fat, sugar and salt. These people eat to live not the other way around. This is not what an average westerner does. They live a peaceful, stress free life. They do not cover up their psychological issues with food. What do most of us do when we feel distressed? Eat eat eat.... 24 hours a day, nonstop.  

These people make love to the world, contribute greatly and do not cause themselves pain with things such as judgement , hatred or envy. When you have your whole life together, an occasional animal meal will not do you any harm, it is our overconsumption that causes problems. That and lack of exercise, purpose, polluted water and environments, stress at work, stress at home, overthinking and all sorts of egotistic behaviours. 

If you look at  Dalai Lama, it is pretty obvious that he only eats little food per day.  I can't really imagine him stuffing himself like a pig. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

34 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

When you have your whole life together, an occasional animal meal will not do you any harm, it is our overconsumption that causes problems.

Agree, a little meat consumption is probably still healthy, even though it is not needed.

But my question was more related to compassion for animals.

For example, Leo said earlier "in most cases eating animals is unecological, lazy, selfish, and unconscious."

In most cases? In which case is it not? 

Free range, organic or pasture fed animals still go to slaughterhouses and suffer a great deal. You always need to separate the baby from the cow in order to get the milk. To get eggs, you need only the laying hens, so the male baby chicks are ground alive.

I could not find any way of killing an animal that was not involving suffering.

If you do not need meat or dairy or eggs to be healthy, and you reached a level of consciousness high enough to overcome your cravings, why still eating animal products? 

I'm wondering if it's not simply a lack of knowledge and direct observation of what animals are experiencing. 

@Roxane  agree and those are all very valid points. For me those were reasons why I gave up all animal food. 

What I found out is simply that most people just don't give a f**k about any of that. We simply prefer not to think about it. And secondly many don't know or don't wish to know. Believe it or not but majority of the planet perceive meat as necessary and absolutely beneficial meal to human health.

You cannot change anyone besides yourself. Follow your agenda and be an example to others. And if nobody is willing to follow, that's ok. People are wired differently. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Food is for functional purposes, but most people use it as an addiction. Your awareness is expanded when giving up addictions. Many foods actually have opium like qualities that create an addiction to them. These foods are all animals, including fish, because of their hemoglobin, dairy, cocoa, coffee, rice, wheat, all sugar including fructose, and leafy green vegetables like lettuce and spinach. 

If your goal is to expand your awareness, then I currently think a ketogenic vegan diet is best. I suggest eating vegetables that are low in carbs and high in fiber (without eating leafy greens), spices, minerals, healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and nuts that are low in carbs and high in fiber (almonds), also apple cider vinegar. I dont know if eggs have developed hemoglobin yet, but the mistreatment of chickens is rampant.

I make a soup with the vegetables and spices and a vegetable broth, and eat avocados and almonds seperately. I also have almond milk, unsweatned, with apple cider vinegar in it (ya it doesn't taste good lol).

I don't know if this is the best diet or if I am missing anything essential, but my research has led me to this.

7 hours ago, Spacious said:

A genetic predisposition to enlightenment and/or environmental factors that are more conducive to awakening perhaps.

Or it doesn't have fuck to do with anything. How are you do sure? 

Speaking for the Dalai Lama. You try hard to make shit fit. 

8 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@Roxane  agree and those are all very valid points. For me those were reasons why I gave up all animal food. 

What I found out is simply that most people just don't give a f**k about any of that. We simply prefer not to think about it. And secondly many don't know or don't wish to know. Believe it or not but majority of the planet perceive meat as necessary and absolutely beneficial meal to human health.

You cannot change anyone besides yourself. Follow your agenda and be an example to others. And if nobody is willing to follow, that's ok. People are wired differently. 

Yeah it's true, most people don't want to know, but I have the impression that things are improving, don't you think? 

Only 2 months ago, I actually also thought that animal proteins were somehow necessary and that vegans always looked like skinny hippies. Hearing people speaking up about the reality of veganism has been a good thing for me, I listened and I changed. All these vegan doctors are trying hard to spread the information, and they don't get much profit from it. And the animal activists like Gary Yourofsky or Bite Size Vegan, they dedicated their whole life to educate people on what is actually happening to these animals. I'm glad I could learn about that thanks to them. I am starting to talk about veganism to my family and friends, and I can see that they listen. Like SFRL and the 2 bodybuilders of the video, they are not convinced, but they tried, and they keep an open door. 

12 hours ago, Spacious said:

A genetic predisposition to enlightenment and/or environmental factors that are more conducive to awakening perhaps.

12 hours ago, Little Plant said:

Doesn't it just come down to culture and habits basically? @Roxane

So maybe Compassion and Love are not really necessary to get enlightened? Probably I don't grab correctly what Compassion and Love are. 

Or maybe they feel compassion for the suffering of these animals, but they have a level of development where they don't need to try to change things, like @Michael569 is saying.

I still think that veganism is a really good step for growth and enables moving up from Orange to Green.

27 minutes ago, Roxane said:

So maybe Compassion and Love are not really necessary to get enlightened? Probably I don't grab correctly what Compassion and Love are. 

Or maybe they feel compassion for the suffering of these animals, but they have a level of development where they don't need to try to change things, like @Michael569 is saying.

I still think that veganism is a really good step for growth and enables moving up from Orange to Green.

I am convinced there can be a world where humans can eat meat without unnecesairy animal suffering.

That's how it used to be back in the day.

From what I have heard the price of meat had not gone up much compared to like 40 years ago. That's strange since everything else has gotten more expensive by way of inflation. So that tells you something is off.  

Nowadays we mass produce meat. The organic grass fed meat that they sell nowadays is actually more expensive. As it should be. But that's how all meat used to be. 

Still though not eating meat, to me is just denying what you really are. Like a bear we are omnivours and you would not expect them to not eat meat. 

Of course the bear does hunt for it's meat itself. But that is exactly where the evil is with humans, it's not eating the meat that's evil. It's the way we aquire it. 

@SFRL

7 hours ago, SFRL said:

From what I have heard the price of meat had not gone up much compared to like 40 years ago. That's strange since everything else has gotten more expensive by way of inflation. So that tells you something is off.  

Read" Fast Food Nation". There is a large global meat Cartel. Biggest probably in US. The price is being held low s that everyone can afford it, the US Governments subsidises meat industry with billions of your tax dollars..huraaay.  Meat farmers live at the edge of poverty with income hardly exceeding 24K annual. They are highly regulated, their properties are being taken if they refuse to cooperate with the dictatorship of meat companies. For example they have 4 weeks to raise a chicken and little longer to raise a cow. You CAN NOT do that without injecting growth hormones. Yes I agree it is off, the whole meat industry is bullish, exploiting, unconscious and incredibly cruel , second only to maybe war and oil industry in its destruction of the planet. 

7 hours ago, SFRL said:

Still though not eating meat, to me is just denying what you really are. Like a bear we are omnivours and you would not expect them to not eat meat

ever compared the anatomy of carnivore such as Cat with Human? Long, sharp teeth designed to crack through bone., jaw without expanded angle, larger mouth, more acidic PH, shorter digestive track( to avoid food rotting inside), swallows food whole, no digestive ensymes produced in Saliva. Humans have none of that. We are herbivores and although we can digest meat we are not adapted for i, if you look at Heart disease statistics you'll see that something is probably fishy in there....and I am sure it is not result of us eating too much veggies

This is just a cultural brainwash that humans need meat to be strong, to be on the top of food chain...

Edited by Michael569

@Roxane Definitely you gotta have some green in you imo if you consciously choose veganism. And that's when Orange starts calling you an idealistic hippie!;) ??  I still have alot of Orange in me as well, so I get why Orange don't wanna listen to vegans.

But the Green gotta transend too, so Green gotta do something about these issues in the world, and see them for what they are: systemfailures. 

You see alot of extremely Green vegan activists which think that demonstrations on the street is gonna do something about their issues. I see the Green in me when I get super overly passionate about this subject and just wanna scream for people to wake up. But I realize that this is just my limited growth and I can't be productive when I am angry, cause it means I don't have the understanding of why things are the way they are. 

We gotta be more strategic about saving the world, than just being Green. Veganism is just a new more sustainable system for society at large... right now. 

IMO all you gotta do is keep plantning seeds and controbuting to this cause and the system will have to adapt to these new consumer-demands. But when we plant seeds we gotta be strategic about it, cause noone likes to be told what they are doing is morally wrong. Ever. 

Once poeple figure out that meat is directly linked to cancer and dairy is directly linked to feeding all your panthogentic organisms  in your body, diseases will become so clear and simple for you, what they actually are. as of now people are CONFUSED as FUCK, applaus to the media. They think is genetics, and it's NOT! This is a lie, genetics only calls for 5-8%. Which you diet then again is able to reverse easily. 

The American Cancer Association and American Diabetes association actually recommends their patients to eat meals with meat in them on their webpage (go look). How can this not start a rage in the public? When meat is directly linked to cancer, and dairy directly ti breatcancer, (don't belive me go look) 

For all the people who have had someone die of cancer, and just knowing society did nothing for you. You could have change your diet, that easy.. heartbreaking. I am ramblinng on...  but my point is a minor revolution must come!??? 

I went vegan in 2014 and it before that I was vegetarian for 3 years, but I ate meat for most of my life. When I went vegan, it was honestly the best that I ever made without any doubt. I feel like it has become my life purpose. I feel like it is a bigger purpose than myself and I love sharing it with other people. It made me question a lot of other things as well and got me on my personal development journey. I wouldn't be here if it wouldn't be for veganism.

On 25/07/2017 at 8:45 PM, Roxane said:

@key

It's a pity that veganism is still perceived as a cult or a kind of sect... Veganism doesn't need to be anything so special as a "layer to your identity"

In many circles it is yes, but I see it as merely a lifestyle choice, one which is worth trying if you can.

To this day I perceive my eating habits as more of a concious choice, trying to see the implications of what I do, wether it be good or bad, as long as I know, and can see what I do, I'm okay with it.