Natasha

Best ways to save money

49 posts in this topic

@WonderSeeker yes, that's important to me as well. I did Leo's Life Purpose Course a few yrs back and completed a couple other self-improvement course I took online. They are good investments for sure.

@LastThursday Yes, I've been actually considering the weekly self cash allowance method. Very practical way to save for sure. It would fall into the budgeting category. Love that idea, thanks for reminding!

I don't use streaming services and my only reccuring expenses are just purely necessities, like water, electric, car ins. I don't own a TV or buy cable. I do go to a gym regularly and get a lot of use for my membership - the equipment, classes, sauna, showers (saves on water bill at home too). The $23/mo is well worth it imo.

I'm shopping around for a less expensive car insurance, if anyone has suggestions?

It is not the action, it is the feeling that matters. You feeling peaceful and positive. 

3 minutes ago, Vibroverse said:

It is not the action, it is the feeling that matters. You feeling peaceful and positive. 

Indeed. Simple is peaceful to me :)

This is an inspirational story offers some valuable perspective 

14 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Indeed. Simple is peaceful to me :)

Simplicity is yummy.

@Natasha Sleep in your car / van, optimize your eating habits, sign up to a gym for lockers / showers / recharging phone / laptop.

Only real minimalists have the guts for that one ?

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

@mmKay Yep, I could totally do that too. Not sure I'm ready to sleep in the car yet, though :)

@Natasha You don't live in your car. You are a digital nomad with an office on wheels ? if you are interested in the movement, check out vanlife on Youtube. 

@mmKay She's definitely a trooper and makes car living look so easy. I'm surprised she chose not to tint her car windows for safety and privacy. That's the first thing I'd do if lived out of a car. 

I'm also her size, 5'5" and 100 lb, so can relate completely haha

32 minutes ago, Focus Shift said:

I've found the 50, 30, 20 rule to be pretty useful. 50% for expenses, 30% for joy, 20% for debt and savings. 

Would be ideal for me to flip those numbers to 30% expenses, 20% joy, and 50% savings B|

@Natasha Also you can look into Squatting depending how serious you are. The legality and morallity varies from country to country. Here in Spain it's a super extended practice.  The Government literally allowed it and has laws to back up the finantially vulnerable people from being evicted.

Don't need money to pay bills if you aint got bills to pay ?

Edited by mmKay

@mmKay I'm not financially vulnerable, I work a full time job and make decent money. I just want to simplify my lifestyle and reduce expenses. Thanks for sharing and suggestions, though :)

@Preety_India  That's a wise move you won't regret! @Natasha That's awesome! I really want to do the LP course but just spent some good money on dating coaching (trying not to spend too much at once). Money management is a super-important topic; I was pleased to this this post.

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

@DrewNows It sounds interesting, but I don't see myself enjoying Kiara's lifestyle. The pressure of always looking a part of a trophy GF to a photography obsessed celebrity BF doesn't seem peaceful to me. Thanks for sharing, though :)

definitely not the right point or focus of the story 

Edited by DrewNows

Ok depends on how determined you are to save. Saving is kind of a habit of making trade-offs. 

OK so.. 

Step one. Get a used RV, fix up a hail damaged rv, or build a tiny home. Cut cost on the biggest expense rent. I recommend auctions bc I got one for like $4k and fixed it up. 27ft rv that could sleep 3-4 people.

Step 2. Get a roommate to live with you and split expenses halfway. 

Buy a plot of land out in the middle of no where or camp out on BLM land full time for free for a week. Logistics gets confusing with managing tanks. 

Get a thousand trail annual pass membership and live in the rv parks to the max daily limit. Milk the dang system. Would really cut costs. 

Camp out in Walmart parking lots or cracker barrels for free.

Then use... 

ioverlander is the best app out there to help find free places to Camp out at. Or campendium some places have free water and electricity. 

Another app is harvest host.. Camping on wineries or farms but I believe they only allow one or two days. I'm sure someone could negotiate something. 

There's another site that people can share their driveways or use their land for free. Only a few days though. 

Step 4. Find a goat farmer and offer to help them out then negotiate a rent plan. (I'm currently paying $300 month in Colorado springs/includes utilities) 

Grow your own food & fast. (if possible/able) 

Eat 4 eggs for breakfast every day. Great source of protein.

Buy frozen bell peppers. 

Using a slow cooker is perfect for making bulk meals and soups. Cuts costs with adding cheap ingredients such as vegetables and pasta. 

Eat peanut butter sandwichs every. single. day. 

Chicken breast is super cheap in bulk. 

Bananas are relatively cheap and healthy too.

Bread is super filling. Buy only nature own 100% whole wheat. Super cheap and is OK healthy. 

Download an app called fooducate to help find healthy food at grocery stores. 

Drink only water and nothing else. Invest in a berky water system. Travel berky is a Long term investment that pays for itself. Best filter on the market. 

Don't go anywhere in your car or waste gas. Don't buy coffee at coffee shops. Maybe tea. 

Danger/warning: Do not get a girlfriend or a wife. Avoid 99% of them at all cost. Delete tinder & Bumble. Don't buy them drinks at bars. 

Get you a flip phone. (I don't have one bc I'm addicted to my galaxy s9) 

At the grocery store try and use the store apps for coupon deals. Buy only what you need. Come up with a list of essentials on a printed document. 

Preferably, get an electric bike or scooter to get around town and to save on gasoline. Plus, be physically fit. 

Only buy essential items for staying alive. (Pretty much just food and cellular device bills for internet access to YouTube.) 

Sell anything that is taking up space. Only have the essentials. Nothing else. 

Watch all expenses like a hawk. Track them with killer attention. 

Pay off your credit card in full each month. Or don't have one at all. 

Use YNAB to allocate funds and plan the budget. 

Now to take it to the extreme mode I met a dude up in Wyoming that was living out of his tent and camping in a local park I was at. In his 20s. Would go to local grocery stores and get free food out of the back dumpster. Dumpster diving. It's amazing how much food is wasted in this country. Perfectly good food too. He would snack off fruit and random food. He had a tray of cinnamon rolls at one point. I ate one without knowing where it came from. Now he lived almost 3 months without spending a single dollar too. He also was walking from Montana to Mexico by foot. 30 miles per day by foot. That's not exactly an easy life but it's doable. He was living off the kindness of others too. He seemed like a homeless person if you ask me. Really really cool guy. Stage green for sure. 

Basically this has been my plan for 2020! It's allowed me to not work for like half the past year. I was able to travel from lower Alabama to Yellowstone NP during this pandemic. Did it solo with no help. Did not spend a single dollar on rent for the first 2 or 3 months. Living in random ass places. Was not easy. Then now I'm living in Colorado Springs super cheap on a goat farm while most people my age are losing a ton on rent. 

Yes, I'm living in an rv trailer when it's snowing outside right now but hey I'm more than comfortable with less rent. Plus I've been able to read + learn about life + travel. 

Now.. Living on the road full time. I've met a decent bit of people that live out of their cars/vans. Seems a little unrealistic if you ask me. Vans seem viable for the short term but still not much space and would get old quick. Showering and going to the bathroom would get old. 

Travel trailers have a pretty decent amount of space. Pretty unique systems. Plus being able to disconnect and drive into town. I have a shower/bath in mine. Has hot water heater. Floor heater. A/C. Propane fridge. Bunk beds. Stove. Has essentially everything I need and more. Feels like I'm in a miniature apartment that can move anywhere. Plus, install cellular booster and a wifi booster. I can pick up wifi from extremely far distances. Plus, I worked from the rv remotely. 

I haven't met too many people my age that live in an RV full time. I'm 27 right now. Mostly have seen people in their 30s and up. 

27ft rv has been perfect for me being solo. Plenty of space to cook and do some yoga. Encourages me to be outside too. Wish it had slide outs for more space but I'm content. 

Class A RVs seem only viable for campgrounds. Plus it's not easy to get off road and find boondocking locations. I had little to no issues with camping out in the wilderness. I did get stuck on a hill once. Plus, broke the black tank valve on accident (don't ask) 

Class B seems perfect but super expensive typically. Yet if it brakes down you'll be in a unique situation. Plus not as convenient as a travel trailer. 

Truly a smaller travel trailer is ideal for one person cutting costs. Allows for mobility purposes and cuts cost on fuel. Also limits a person to the essentials. 

Other crazy option is join the military and live on a military base full time. Don't spend a single dime. Don't go any where. Go to work and nothing else. Eat only at the chow hall only for free. Basically prison life but you're getting paid to be there. Literally surrounded by fences and security force guys. Yet a little more freedom than prison. 

Did that and I was able to save up wayyy more than most people in my early 20's. Nearly zero expenses and saving 3k per month income. Was able to accumulate over $30,000 within 2 or 3 years at the age of 23. I was bored out of my mind though and not exactly happy with my life choices. However I wasn't in debt. Yet the ability to save is unheard of compared to most options. 

Last option I've been contemplating with a buddy is buying an acre or two of land. Get a couple buddies to pitch into this new venture. Build a village of tiny homes. Dig a well system for water. Install a bunch of solar panels and build lithium batteries with parts online. Create a redneck septic system with water barrels(not sure if this is legal). Then invite people to create an intentional community.  I would be the overlord and set the bylaws, covenants, conditions, and restrictions for this village. Pull together resources and live off the land like true hippies. Grow a few gardens. Milk them goats I was talking about and buy an army of hens for eggs. Survive off the organic+non-gmo-grass fed hens. 

OK I'd like to see someone beat all this advice. 

Edited by Ethan1

@Ethan1 Interesting practical suggestions, thanks for sharing. I'm open to possibilities :)