animani

No results from breathwork

10 posts in this topic

I've been trying out different kinds of breathwork for maybe 2 years. Mostly shamanic breathing and strong yogic breath/wim hof. I've also done breathwork in groups with people a few times.

When I do it alone, most of the time, I don't feel any effects at all and I don't feel that I get any "results" from it afterwards. Except for maybe a few times where it just clicked for some reason. With results I mean, at least becoming calmer and more relaxed in the body during the day compared to the levels of anxiety that I usually feel. When I've done it with a group of people it always works, usually I've been crying for almost the whole session as I've released a lot of emotions.

Doing a slower full body breathing works great for me, but the problem is with the more intense and circular breathing techniques.

I've tried to breathe in different ways, I've tried to relax, trying to be softer and finally the last month or so I've just tried to breathe despite feeling as if I'm breathing in the "wrong" way, just going with it. At first I thought that I have a hard time relaxing, which is true, but I can also see that I'm too much in my thoughts, thinking of how I Should breathe and being super critical. I'm an extreme perfectionist and I'm pushing myself too much. I've tried to just let it be and be mindful, but I wonder for how long I should keep on practicing with no results? Maybe I should just keep on and surrender to the anxiety of No results.

I can also see that when I've done it in a group of people it's been easier to find a rythm and to enter a flow. Somehow in a group it's easier to surrender and trust.

I've had a strong urge to take a break from it and just focus on slower breathing techniques and yoga, thinking that maybe that's what my body needs. But I can see that there is a lot of experienced breathers in here and I would like to see if someone can enlighten me with some breath-wisdom or share your own breathwork journey. Maybe a new perspective can support the shift in my journey.

Thank you.

Edited by animani

Hey, welcome to the forum. 

What are the results you're actually seeking to achieve? Do you feel like there is something deeper you need to release? 

Whenever I hit 'a wall'; it's usually because I'm not ready to face something. Emotional baggage, trauma, etc. It can happen consciously or subconsciously. One way or another; I block it out.

Not saying it's what's happening to you too, but it could be. Also; taking a break is necessary - imo. Usually when these kinds of practices become a routine; the energy becomes stagnant. Meaning, there is no real 'progress'. I'd suggest you move on to something new that you find exciting. Come back to it later - if you recognize it as something relevant.

Hi!

I hope you are doing well.

These days I am doing Shamanic Breathing on a daily basis. You can go through my Journey from the following link:

I hope that would be helpful for you.

Thanks 

Me & My World is the imagination of The Nothing. 

13 hours ago, ivankiss said:

Hey, welcome to the forum. 

What are the results you're actually seeking to achieve? Do you feel like there is something deeper you need to release? 

Whenever I hit 'a wall'; it's usually because I'm not ready to face something. Emotional baggage, trauma, etc. It can happen consciously or subconsciously. One way or another; I block it out.

Not saying it's what's happening to you too, but it could be. Also; taking a break is necessary - imo. Usually when these kinds of practices become a routine; the energy becomes stagnant. Meaning, there is no real 'progress'. I'd suggest you move on to something new that you find exciting. Come back to it later - if you recognize it as something relevant.

Hi!

I struggle with a lot of anxiety daily, fatigue, brainfog and just generally very unstable during the day for a long time now. I'm just longing for a release. To feel more grounded, peaceful, more energy in general and the ability to think clearly. I don't really know how I can become conscious of what I need to face in this situation.

But yes, the energy is stuck and this has happened in all my practices lately, not only breathwork, and I always tend to keep on doing one practice without any positive progress thinking that I'm a failure if I move on to something that actually feels good and works better (in this case slower breathing or yoga). I've thought that I'm just doing the practice wrong and I need to keep on for months until I figure it out. 

I feel like it's hard to become conscious of what I need when something doesn't work for me, I've only listened to what works for other people or what they need, thinking that I work in the same way as them and that I should live up to it. Maybe it's necessary to listen more to what one individually need in spiritual practice? And that maybe what I need is something I resist or fear doing.

Thank you, your words were helpful!

Edited by animani

My gosh did I ever get some results... might make a post here soon about it... Shamanic breathing had me tripping.. hasn't stopped fully and its been days. Try finding a good facilitator. There are many now online.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

11 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

My gosh did I ever get some results... might make a post here soon about it... Shamanic breathing had me tripping.. hasn't stopped fully and its been days. Try finding a good facilitator. There are many now online.

:') Do you know someone good? Feels like it would be better for me to meet someone physically though.

@animani i agree when you have been doing something this long without results, it’s time to take a break. You might want to try grounding activities like walking in nature or gardening during the day. But it’s also the case that relaxing can be very tricky, if you do a certain activity with the goal of becoming relaxed you might find it difficult to reach that state. When breathing doesn’t relax me in the evening, I often try listening to the sound of rainfall on YouTube. 

You say that you suffer from “anxiety, brainfog, fatigue, and very unstable generally”. This could be due to a range of issues from mental health-related to medication-related to cardiovascular fitness. A change in lifestyle might do you good, like eating healthily, engaging in a challenging program to achieve greater physical fitness, reducing medication if you can. Just a general tip if you don’t do these things already.

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

53 minutes ago, Bodhitree said:

@animani i agree when you have been doing something this long without results, it’s time to take a break. You might want to try grounding activities like walking in nature or gardening during the day. But it’s also the case that relaxing can be very tricky, if you do a certain activity with the goal of becoming relaxed you might find it difficult to reach that state. When breathing doesn’t relax me in the evening, I often try listening to the sound of rainfall on YouTube. 

You say that you suffer from “anxiety, brainfog, fatigue, and very unstable generally”. This could be due to a range of issues from mental health-related to medication-related to cardiovascular fitness. A change in lifestyle might do you good, like eating healthily, engaging in a challenging program to achieve greater physical fitness, reducing medication if you can. Just a general tip if you don’t do these things already.

Thank you.

Yeah I'm having all that in mind. The fatigue is most likely because I've been pushing myself too hard for a long period.

This guy is a kriya yogi and knows breathing. His method of breathing to reach deep states of meditation has worked well for me,and I've tried various methods over the years. If you get the chance check out 4th Phase - Tranquil Breath:.  It's worth getting.

As far as yogic breathing(pranayama) goes, fill the belly first with the breath expanding the diaphram,and then up into the chest. So in one smoothe motion, breathe into the belly until it is expanded then on up into the chest. Breathing out,the chest drops first and then the belly draws in as you  continue to exhale to completion. As you'll see in the vids. the exhale should be longer than the inhale, (say a 4 count inhalation, and a 6 or 7 count exhalation), this induces the heartrate resonance variability. In the 4th phase training above it goes into more detail of how and why it works and he adds info on how to do the bandhas(body locks) which really kick in the "bliss" phase of the breathing.

3 hours ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

This guy is a kriya yogi and knows breathing. His method of breathing to reach deep states of meditation has worked well for me,and I've tried various methods over the years. If you get the chance check out 4th Phase - Tranquil Breath:.  It's worth getting.

As far as yogic breathing(pranayama) goes, fill the belly first with the breath expanding the diaphram,and then up into the chest. So in one smoothe motion, breathe into the belly until it is expanded then on up into the chest. Breathing out,the chest drops first and then the belly draws in as you  continue to exhale to completion. As you'll see in the vids. the exhale should be longer than the inhale, (say a 4 count inhalation, and a 6 or 7 count exhalation), this induces the heartrate resonance variability. In the 4th phase training above it goes into more detail of how and why it works and he adds info on how to do the bandhas(body locks) which really kick in the "bliss" phase of the breathing.

When I've been doing intense yogic breath I've first filled my belly and then filled my chest, naturally for me the belly sinks in as soon as I breathe into the chest. Not really sure if I'm breathing into the chest in the right way. And on the outbreath I've just relaxed and therefore the outbreath is shorter than the inbreath. Maybe this affects my breathing negatively. 

Haven't watched the videos yet though, thank you.