erik8lrl

The Nature of Order: An Essay on the Art of Building and the Nature of the Universe

24 posts in this topic

This collection of work by Christopher Alexander is basically an application of the ultimate truth in making art. The principles in this work are describing the non-dual and self-similar nature of existence. Using these principles that existence/god/nature uses in creating things, the things you create will intensify the wholeness/love of existence. It is a very practical collection of work with a step-by-step process that anyone can use to create more love/self-similarity in existence. The work goes into architecture, art, science, and beyond into spirituality/consciousness. Christopher is far ahead of his time. I think this work will benefit anyone who is doing creative work/art. I highly recommend it. 

There is also a documentary about Christopher and his philosophy here:

The Nature of Order.jpg

15 Fundamental Properties.jpg

This looks extremely interesting! Have you read the books? I see they are almost 200€ altogether :o 
Couldn't find a digital version, would have loved to get it as a kindle version.

@peanutspathtotruth Yes, I have. They are life-changing for me. Well worth the price. You might also find them at libraries depends on where you live. The books themselves are beautiful works of art that just make you want to keep reading. The texture of the cover and the pages are all created with love and care. 

Edited by erik8lrl

Here is a quote from the book I love:

"Relatedness.

"I"

1. It is personal.
        2. There is only one of it
        3. It is suffused with relatedness

All great art hinges on the formation of I in things

I experience nature as if everything in me and without me is made of the same stuff.

It connects me to god, and connects me to me.

What it touches is beyond reason and before reason. It may be a connection to some realm, where I no longer am, and where I shall always be. "

Edited by erik8lrl

1 hour ago, erik8lrl said:

Here is a quote from the book I love:

"Relatedness.

"I"

1. It is personal.
        2. There is only one of it
        3. It is suffused with relatedness

All great art hinges on the formation of I in things

I experience nature as if everything in me and without me is made of the same stuff.

It connects me to god, and connects me to me.

What it touches is beyond reason and before reason. It may be a connection to some realm, where I no longer am, and where I shall always be. "

Amazing ?

Very interesting. Might have to buy it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Is this book all about art or something more like spirituality, living etc? 

@erik8lrl could you share a little more of what you read so I can get a general idea of what this book is about. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

This post deepened my understanding of what turquoise is, thanks.

Funny how spiral dynamics naturally calibrate your understanding, it's literally like if you had a machine learning app in your brain.

Edited by Michal__

@Preety_India The work goes into many different subjects and fields. The central ideas are so fundamental that they can be applied to anything.

It is a set of philosophy on life and existence, 

An academic piece on art, science, and spirituality,

A generative process of creating love/self-similar things(life),

A set of design principles that create life and beauty, 

A method of observation and a system of thinking or experiencing existence,

A detailed architecture manuscript for building a holistic structure,

A spiritual piece about the ultimate truth and how to apply it in life... 

He is really trying to convey the ultimate truth by observing all levels of abstraction in existence.

You can apply all the principles in this work to create a wholesome life and intensify love. Life is an art.  

Edited by erik8lrl

Documentary can be found here, just watched it, makes me want to read his books.

The most fundamental idea from this work is the idea of wholeness and centers. Centers create wholeness, and centers themselves are made of more centers, and each center has a degree of wholeness based on the wholeness/structure of centers that it is made of. It is a self-similar infinite strange loop/framework.  So when describing a thing, you no longer think of it as something separate from the whole, like a "part". But instead, think of them as centers within centers that generate wholeness/love/self-similarity. For example, you are a center within the whole of existence, and you consist of many many centers on different levels of abstraction that all generate wholeness to some degree. The degree of wholeness you have can directly affect the degree of the wholeness of the entire existence. By intensifying the wholeness/love of the centers you have, you will also intensify the wholeness of existence as a whole. By adopting this system of thinking, you naturally start to observe existence as a center of the whole instead of separate from it. Thus embody the ultimate truth in your moment-to-moment existence and create more wholeness within the whole, whether creating art or just living life.     

1 hour ago, erik8lrl said:

@Preety_India The work goes into many different subjects and fields. The central ideas are so fundamental that they can be applied to anything.

It is a set of philosophy on life and existence, 

An academic piece on art, science, and spirituality,

A generative process of creating love/self-similar things(life),

A set of design principles that create life and beauty, 

A method of observation and a system of thinking or experiencing existence,

A detailed architecture manuscript for building a holistic structure,

A spiritual piece about the ultimate truth and how to apply it in life... 

He is really trying to convey the ultimate truth by observing all levels of abstraction in existence.

You can apply all the principles in this work to create a wholesome life and intensify love. Life is an art.  

You just made me excited to buy these books! Do you know where I can get them online?