Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caveman

Jogging in urban jungle

9 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on jogging in the city, in relation to air pollution?

Living in a european capital but with not as much traffic as many other places.

I check the Air Index and go very early in the morning before rush hour, mostly by the river bank and parks but still passing some street too.

Gyms are no go for me, regardless of pandemic.

It's quite bad. Wouldn't advice. You're also jogging on concrete all the time then and your shoes probably screw your knees. 

Get yourself some nice place in the park and do a workout there. There's no need for jogging to get your heart rate up - plenty to do with the same effect.

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

If jogging is not an option, buy a skipping rope, a pair of 1kg dumbbells and TRX and you don't need a gym. 

Then perform 60 minute workout divided into

• 10 min warmup 
  • 10 minute rope skipping
  • 20 minute shadow boxing 
  • 20 minute TRX training

You can find videos on all on Youtube :)

Good luck!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I personally don't like it because you need to pay attention to traffic, people, etc. but since you're going early in the morning I can see how it may even be pleasant. It's also a good strategy to make a quick tour of a new place you're visiting. But hey, it is surely better than not working out. I think you're already doing the best you can.

I just found out that a large study on air pollution in European Cities was published a couple of days ago, if you want to check it out: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(20)30272-2/fulltext

Here you can look up your city ranking: https://isglobalranking.org/

Running always feels worth it to me, no matter the air or weather. 

@fridjonk you are jogging in world's cleanest environment bro, you are not entitled to comment ?

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@fridjonk you are jogging in world's cleanest environment bro, you are not entitled to comment ?

Sorry, I forget sometimes. ?

You'd be surprised how much pollution can form here in the capital actually. It registered over danger limits a couple of times last year since there's so much traffic crammed into a small city. Running here in the city and on our farm is such a hugely noticeable difference, but I don't let that stop me from running nonetheless. ;) 

Yeah much better to find a park near you and do the skipping rope.

Thanks for the tips and links guys. I'll try the skipping rope/park/TRX solution eventually.

Running is just such a creative meditation for me though, that's why I'd hate to give it up. From the study linked it seems that my area is not one of the too jacked ones. Maybe I'll run fewer times but outside of town, but who knows if even that makes much of a difference.

Man what are we doing. This shit triggers me. :(