SamC

What are your best tips to wake up early in the morning?

20 posts in this topic

As the title. 

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

Having a meaningfull reason to do it is everything

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Put your alarm on the other side of your room so you have to get up to turn it off, then you're up and what ever you do DO NOT go back to bed, remind yourself what you wanna do in life and more importantly what you wanna do today to help you formulate your day. Making a routine is important. 

Try do this everyday and don't give up, even if some attempts are unsuccessful, and if it isn't working then try change things up. 

Edited by Luc1nda

I'm not good at this at the moment at all. But recently I had an amazing run - what helped me was visualizing my complete next day before I went to bed. Also, be okay with not having enough sleep for some nights because you're getting your body used to a new time to wake up. All this is advice to myself as well :P 

Sleep early, seriously.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Sleep early, seriously.

THIS ^^^^^^^

If you get to bed early, and KEEP doing it, you will adjust. This is at least how it was for me.

It would be harder to go to bed an hour earlier and wake up an hour earlier.  Start slow and stick with the plan so your body can adjust to the change.

Go to bed 15 to 30 mins earlier for a week, ensuring you’re not stimulated prior to bedtime... wake up 15/30 earlier.  Work your way up to an hour or more if you need to slowly.

it also helps if you’re tired before you go to bed.  This means getting a lot of sun time during the day walking / running outside for 15/30 mins / exercising.  Essentially getting close to 10,000 steps or more everyday 

Edited by AnthonyR

On 2021-01-20 at 8:48 AM, mmKay said:

Having a meaningfull reason to do it is everything

Roger that.

On 2021-01-20 at 1:09 PM, Luc1nda said:

Put your alarm on the other side of your room so you have to get up to turn it off, then you're up and what ever you do DO NOT go back to bed, remind yourself what you wanna do in life and more importantly what you wanna do today to help you formulate your day. Making a routine is important. 

Try do this everyday and don't give up, even if some attempts are unsuccessful, and if it isn't working then try change things up. 

Thanks, love this.

On 2021-01-20 at 1:15 PM, peanutspathtotruth said:

I'm not good at this at the moment at all. But recently I had an amazing run - what helped me was visualizing my complete next day before I went to bed. Also, be okay with not having enough sleep for some nights because you're getting your body used to a new time to wake up. All this is advice to myself as well :P 

That visualisation thing might be a game changer. What I did before that seemed to work is to write and answer the following questions in a journal

1: what I will do the first thing when I wake B

2: Why I am doing it.

3: What positve emotions I will feel when I have done it

The visualisation might be what I'm looking for, especially if I combine it with other stuff. Thanks a ton for that@peanutspathtotruth

On 2021-01-20 at 1:27 PM, dflores321 said:

Agreed. 

If you can, stay out of your bedroom, leave it for sex and sleep. 

If you cant I'd suggest buying a bed that's easy to put away. In my experience, having a bed in the room I'm doing stuff in causes urges to lay down. 

^this way when you wake up you establish a routine that encourages you not to lay back down. 

And also, I'd suggest activities to promote wakefulness and motivation. 

For example : A cup of coffee/tea an hour after waking, exercise, reading, meditation.

Good stuff

On 2021-01-20 at 6:06 PM, BigDogRaven said:

THIS ^^^^^^^

If you get to bed early, and KEEP doing it, you will adjust. This is at least how it was for me.

Got it.

22 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

It would be harder to go to bed an hour earlier and wake up an hour earlier.  Start slow and stick with the plan so your body can adjust to the change.

Go to bed 15 to 30 mins earlier for a week, ensuring you’re not stimulated prior to bedtime... wake up 15/30 earlier.  Work your way up to an hour or more if you need to slowly.

it also helps if you’re tired before you go to bed.  This means getting a lot of sun time during the day walking / running outside for 15/30 mins / exercising.  Essentially getting close to 10,000 steps or more everyday 

Interesting approach and perspective. Thank you! I might experiment with this in the future(: 

Edited by SamC

Stop using an alarm clock.

I wake up every day at the same hour and never use an alarm clock.

It's easy to build this habit in a week. Here's some tips:

Day 1, 2, 3...: Actually waking up early it's all about the day before. So the day before go to sleep insanely early, give yourself like 10 hours to sleep. Exemple:

Wake up time: 8 am

Go to bed: 10 pm

Maybe you'll actually even use those 10 hours. But it's ok. Let it be. I just recommend you start on a weekend. 

(If you feel it's too early to sleep, just do some relaxation technics like drinking lavender or camomile tea, some stretching, relaxing every member of the body when lied down, detach from every thought while focusing on being relaxed, etc.)

From day 4 and on, you'll realize that you'll need less and less sleep. You'll naturally start sleeping just the amount of sleep your body needs. From here, you can start adjusting. Notice how many hours you've been naturally sleeping (for example 8h) and start going to bed 8 hours before the time you wanna wake up. So if you wanna wake up at 6 am, go to bed at 10 pm :)

Hope it works for you!

7 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Day 1, 2, 3...: Actually waking up early it's all about the day before. So the day before go to sleep insanely early, give yourself like 10 hours to sleep. Exemple:

Maybe you'll actually even use those 10 hours. But it's ok. Let it be. I just recommend you start on a weekend. 

(If you feel it's too early to sleep, just do some relaxation technics like drinking lavender or camomile tea, some stretching, relaxing every member of the body when lied down, detach from every thought while focusing on being relaxed, etc.)

From day 4 and on, you'll realize that you'll need less and less sleep. You'll naturally start sleeping just the amount of sleep your body needs. From here, you can start adjusting. Notice how many hours you've been naturally sleeping (for example 8h) and start going to bed 8 hours before the time you wanna wake up. So if you wanna wake up at 6 am, go to bed at 10 pm :)

Hope it works for you!

This is the optimum I would say, to have a natural rhythm.

But in my own experience I could never do that in 4 days. I meditated through so many nights because I tried to sleep early ?

I think many people's sleeping rhythms are rather fucked up (mine most often is), and maybe yours is a bit more quick to adjust? 

Anyway, good advice :)

40 minutes ago, SamC said:

The visualisation thing might be a game changer. What I did before that seemed to work is to write and answer the following questions in a journal

1: what I will do the first thing when I wake B

2: Why I am doing it.

3: What positve emotions I will feel when I have done it

The visualisation might be what I'm looking for, especially if I combine it with other stuff. Thanks a ton for that @peanutspathtotruth

These questions are really good too! My visualization is really weak but still I found visualizing to be much more profound than thinking. I visualize from first person perspective, works better for me than seeing myself from outside. 

Also, when it comes to productivity, visualizing the day when you start your day is also amazing. These two visualizations do a lot, I think I might put them back into my routine as well :)

Let me know how it works out for you! 

11 minutes ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

This is the optimum I would say, to have a natural rhythm.

But in my own experience I could never do that in 4 days. I meditated through so many nights because I tried to sleep early ?

I think many people's sleeping rhythms are rather fucked up (mine most often is), and maybe yours is a bit more quick to adjust? 

Anyway, good advice :)

These questions are really good too! My visualization is really weak but still I found visualizing to be much more profound than thinking. I visualize from first person perspective, works better for me than seeing myself from outside. 

Also, when it comes to productivity, visualizing the day when you start your day is also amazing. These two visualizations do a lot, I think I might put them back into my routine as well :)

Let me know how it works out for you! 

Rock solid advice thank you. Also another advice is to do a semi long wim Hoff method practice as the first thing. ( I do it in my bed half dead every day lmao)

Not sure if it's optimal to shock the body like what, but it works really well for me.

25 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Hope it works for you!

This is something I have to experiment with. You're so right, one should optimally opt for waking up naturally.

It has been pretty hard for me to get up by myself In the past though. Thanks a ton!!

Edited by SamC

1 minute ago, SamC said:

Also another advice is to do a semi long wim Hoff method practice as the first thing. ( I do it in my bed half dead every day lmao)

Not sure if it's optimal to shock the body like what, but it works really well for me.

I agree, I tried it at some point and it worked really well. The cool thing about it is that you can keep lying ind bed B|, but when as soon as 1-2 rounds and you naturally want to get out of bed :D 

I put my phone at the end of the bed so i have to fit up. I then allow myself 10 minutes to look at my phone - these first 10 minutes are crucial after that Im awake. If i dont keep looking at my phone for those 10 minutes I will easily snooze or fall back to sleep.

I suffer from insomnia these days. If I wake up, I can't sleep. Sometimes wake up at 5am. Or 6am.

Hire a drill sergeant. 

Set a really annoying alarm in the other room that forces you to get up to turn it off. 

Sleep early. 

Drink glass of water by bed side. 

Splash water on face. 

Cause you're a little bitch if you don't...

Haha Just kidding ...?

Experiment if waking up early provides you any tangible value

You can even do one day wake up early, one day do not wake up early multiple times, and directly split-test any difference

If there is no difference then there is ZERO point in waking up early, if you do feel a benefit then there you go. Intrinsic motivation, no need to motivate or psych yourself or do any gimmicks ? 

Edited by AlphaAbundance

Big big annoying alarm. 

4v6smr.gif

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.