BipolarGrowth

How can we be sure that consciousness is not generated by the brain?

36 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I’ve spent years studying nonduality and doing consciousness work. At this point I have to admit that I’m biased toward consciousness generating the brain as well as everything else, but how can we at all be certain that this is the case? Is this not just a belief? Any changes in consciousness seem to be heavily correlated with changes in brain activity. Why is this the case? 

Notice you are assuming conciousness has to be "generated". Who said anything has to be "generated"? Why can't everything just be as it is? 

Nothing is generated, but it seems to me that states constantly change. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@BipolarGrowth You aren't sure ! Saying the brain doesn't create consciousness is equivalent to saying that gravity doesn't exist, despite the fact you can clearly see what happens when you drop your pen or know what will happen if you jump out of a window. 

This is causality you're asking about. Ask yourself how cause and effect its determined. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Someone here how do You know you have a brain?  Have experienced a brain before?  I haven't...and I used to be a die in the wool student of neuroscience...i rejected it as conceptual BS.

2 hours ago, Ramu said:

@Someone here how do You know you have a brain?  Have experienced a brain before?  I haven't...and I used to be a die in the wool student of neuroscience...i rejected it as conceptual BS.

Are you sure you should tag me here? because based on what I said here I think this question should be directed towards OP. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

9 hours ago, allislove said:

ray-pocket-flashlight-14144265.jpg

How can we be sure that light is not generated by the wall? 

Turn inward.

Light comes from your own ❤️?

The human brain is a transmitter for Consciousness. Do you see the evolution? What will the brain of the next species be capable of? We have arrived at hypercognition. What will be next? How hubric to think that we are it.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

11 hours ago, PopoyeSailor said:

If brain creates consciousness, then the senses of the body must also be limited by the brain itself. Then, why is it that People who have a NDE(Near Death Experience) sometimes accurately describe events that had happened far away from their body when they flatlined on the hospital table. How come Yogis able to to Parakaya Pravesha(Entering into another body through Pranic airs). How come people read other's minds that are far away? During a kundalini awakening, a youtuber described seeing through walls. How do you explain various reincarnation stories of children, being born with wound marks on their body, with the memory of dying because of traumatic injury at the wound mark area in their previous life? Which when verified, turns out to be true.

Also CIA has released documents of experiments that they conducted which clearly talks about these phenomena. In those reports it was observed and concluded to be real by scientists as well.

@PopoyeSailor

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-near-death-experiences-reveal-about-the-brain/

This covers the materialist view/partial explanation of NDEs.

You’re thinking on the right track for providing something we can work with to potentially disprove the idea of the brain generating consciousness. So far, no one else in this thread has brought up anything but theory about consciousness which I’m well aware of and have experienced what they describe firsthand. None of that solves anything. This line of inquiry could. Have you seen any verified accounts of any of these events happening when brain activity is completely gone? 

If consciousness is generated by the brain, this does not mean that modern-day materialists are at all correct about the full capabilities of the human system and brain. I have personal experiences of telepathy, the teleportation of small objects, potential alteration of space and time, and quite a few other things 99%+ of materialists or scientists would claim are completely impossible. Even many spiritual people doubt the legitimacy of such experiences. With the reincarnation example, if we’re trying to explain this within the brain generating consciousness paradigm, all we need is a link existing between brains. This could certainly be possible. How exactly? Idk. We already know that time and space do not exist from the perspective of light. We also know quantum particles can interact with each other instantly across vast distances. It’s within the realm of possibility that brains can access reality in a similar way. Of course this is all speculation. I never claimed to be able to explain how the brain does any of this. I don’t think any single human being or even group of human beings knows exactly how the brain works when firing on all cylinders. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

5 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Light comes from your own ❤️?

?

It's not just the brain, the whole nervous system is part of the consciousness system (brain is connected to hands by the nerves).  I don't buy into this belief that 'brains don't exist' - rather, physical matter (brain etc) and consciousness are a mutually arising dual pair. But it's all a story created by the brain/consciousness pair, when the primal unity (being) splits itself up. 

Of course you shouldn't believe me either, because this is my story, I'm using these words in my own way.  There's no argument, as long as we're all authentic to our own direct experience :) 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

On 21/01/2021 at 10:32 AM, Nahm said:

“Brains of conscious” just feels off and sounds backwards.  

I agree, borderline 6 Letter word R word.

Why must it be one or the other?

You are non dual. 

The brain creates consciousness as consciousness creates the brain. 

Reality is a strange loop. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:21 PM, BipolarGrowth said:

I’ve spent years studying nonduality and doing consciousness work. At this point I have to admit that I’m biased toward consciousness generating the brain as well as everything else, but how can we at all be certain that this is the case? Is this not just a belief? Any changes in consciousness seem to be heavily correlated with changes in brain activity. Why is this the case? 

Stop bullshitting and do the work.  You can become directly conscious of what is true.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.