Preety_India

Is it good to live like a hermit?

31 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sempiternity said:

I used to be a bigtime performer. I traveled across the country and played stadiums and major festivals. I was used to playing to crowds of 30K+ every weekend. Had thousands of friends, and dated alot. About 3 years ago I gave it all up. Retired from performing, let go of all my friends and communities, and became celibate. All to dedicate myself to spiritual path. Within those 3 years, I barely see anyone. I have one friend I hang out with regularly. And I see my parents about once a month. I get food and supplies delivered. So mostly I am fully removed from society. And I'm the happiest I've ever been. Heck, I have so little desire for companionship, I don't even want a pet. I have zero drama in my life. I don't have to navigate other people's issues, needs, traumas, egos, projections, etc. I do what I want, when I want and no one has any control over me whatsoever. I figure I will do this for the rest of my days. So to anyone considering the hermit life, know it can work and is wonderful.  

You're not a hermit if you have a friend who you are hanging with regularly. Just saying. Couldn't stop myself from saying it.

“There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

17 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

@Preety_India I didn't know you're introvert, I thought you're the opposite.

I'm an introvert too, and a involuntary hermit for life.

No one can be a happy hermit for life.

Maybe you only need to cut down on the social stuff, not eliminate it completely.

Me three,,,, I’m guessing most of the journalers here are primarily introverts. Do y’all think most extroverts are uncomfortable with solitude and sharing bits of their inner world. 
In regards to being a hermit the phrase - be in the world but not of it- came to mind. I think it’s healthy to have the capacity for becoming free of other people. Being free inside ones inner world,

Having sovereignty over ones inner world = inner silence and peace.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

44 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

You're not a hermit if you have a friend who you are hanging with regularly. Just saying. Couldn't stop myself from saying it.

Whatever dude.

When it comes to introverts and extroverts, I found a distinction somewhere that they are different in the way in which they become energized. Everyone needs solitude to process their experience. Introverts become energized when they spend time alone, while they spend energy in social situations. This is because we are much more sensitive, and pick up on stimuli very easily. Extroverts have this cycle inverted: they recharge in social situations and spend energy in solitude.

So, is it possible for a generic human to become a hermit? Probably not, but you are not a generic human, so if you feel attraction towards spending your time this way, then by all means do. I generally tend to stay away from social media and don't have many friends in person. I find most relationships very unsatisfactory simply because they are very superficial. I've had enough self-censorship for a lifetime already.

It's not like you will become a real hermit, you still need money and work, so there will always be social contact. The upside of such a lifestyle is that you can't afford to let yourself be dependent upon the validation of other people, so no running from yourself (for better or worse) :). Nobody to blame for your difficult emotions, nobody to talk shit to, nobody to vent to. Just you and yourself :).

Of course, as it can be sometimes seen in people here, spiritual practices in solitude can quickly deteriorate into delusions of grandeur, so be careful :).

The true heresy is hearsay.

@Sempiternity Awesome stuff. Glad it's working out well for you. Mind if ask about the cost of such a lifestyle? I presume you have enough supply to live off well for the rest of your days, anyway. Also, do you have a yen for gardening? I use to go out into the woods every spring and bring back stacks upon stacks of wild garlic. 

Let's get this life purpose going!

www.vladimirhlocky.com

🪐

No, it's not good to live like a hermit.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

@Preety_India Lol it was a joke!! The joke was that I just make a blanket absolutist statement with no explanation whatsoever, everyone waits for an explanation but then it turns out to be blind conditioning.

On a serious note, it could be what you want. This applies to Indians specifically - we need a break from our society because we are totally enmeshed in it. Our society doesn't see people as individuals, there is no individualism in our society. You cannot be an individual and have people around at the same time initially. So, you may very well need a good long break from people and find yourself before you come back into the real world!

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

1 hour ago, SirVladimir said:

@Parththakkar12 You had me in the first half, not gonna lie xD Thank you for shredding my initial projection to pieces.

:D :D :D Yaaaayyyy!!!! You understand my sense of humor!!!