Sam Barker

How/where would you suggest starting with yoga?

28 posts in this topic

As well as doing meditation every day, I want to start feeling fit and healthy. Do you recommend any youtube channel/videos I can check out to get started?

Cheers

Does any particular type of yoga interest you? For a general hatha yoga channel I use Yoga with Adriene https://www.youtube.com/c/yogawithadriene but of course there's many others. To be fit and healthy I'd also recommended aerobic exercise for a cardio vascular workout. Plus check out a healthy diet. Good luck! 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

@snowyowl To be honest, I don't much about yoga or it's subcategegories. I've just heard it's really good for you. Thanks for the link, I will try her out now!

Channel “Yoga with Adriene” is really great in my opinion also. You could start with 30 day challenge. 

She has really good vibe ??

I recommend for starters to go to a studio and learn from a teacher directly for a few months. Not online videos.

That's what I did, and I think it was a good decision because at the studio you can talk to others, check what gear they have, hear reviews. Also, the teacher can correct your newbie errors, they won't do it after your first class unless your errors are critical, haha, but after some time will tell you how to improve. You can ask them how to do some position as a male, as the popular female YT yoga teachers don't mention advice for men often.

@Alsu i'm just getting started with Headspace, but I don't have enough experience yet to give feedback. Also Actualized channel, and I'm starting to read The Mind Illuminated (ok that's a book, does it count?). 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

@Girzo I have decided to learn Kriya yoga. I stumbled upon Leo's video "The Importance of Real Yoga" and learnt about Yoga's original purpose in ancient practices (to reach enlightenment). I bought the book about Kriya he recommended in his book list.

The journey continues...

@Sam Barker You won't feel fit and healthy from doing Kriya Yoga, hah. I do both Kriya and Iyengar Hatha Yoga and I can tell you, Kriya is a good addon to a meditation practice, but not a replacement for exercise.

The arguments against "western physical yoga" are exaggerated. It's still the same classic postions, they work regardless whether you do them for the right reason of getting Enlightened or for the reason of getting a nice looking round ass.

@Sam Barker I would also recommend Yoga with Adrienne. She is great with beginners. I would recommend doing her 30 day yoga series "Breath" that she released this month (free on her YT channel). The series combines meditation with several forms of introductory yoga.

3 hours ago, Sam Barker said:

@Girzo I have decided to learn Kriya yoga. I stumbled upon Leo's video "The Importance of Real Yoga" and learnt about Yoga's original purpose in ancient practices (to reach enlightenment). I bought the book about Kriya he recommended in his book list.

The book on Leo's booklist is true to original Kriya yoga. The author put in immense effort to get it right. There is a kriya yoga megathread on the forum. There was a lot of discussion related to the Kriya book you will be using. 

Traditional Kriya yoga is a great hybrid between breath and meditation. It isn't what most people think as "yoga" because it doesn't have many asanas (movements and postures). It can increase wellness and raise consciousness, yet it won't do much to increase health via movement. 

If you resonate with kriya breathing practices, you might want to try breathwork - which I consider a form of kriya. 

@Sam Barker I personally use Yogi Approved for basic Flow, Yin, and vinyasa yoga. There are also some great Ashtanga yoga studios online which is great for getting in shape. Doing the Warrior flows will get you in shape, and there are lots of more fitness based and fun yoga practices on it too https://www.yogiapproved.com/

I've done some Kyra and Kundalini from books, Sadhguru and my ex girlfriend who is a Kundalini master.

I personally prefer Qigong at Holden Qigong online classes. Qigong is similar to yoga, and it's ancient roots in Dao yin are very similar... but different. try two weeks free no credit card.  Love the feeling of my chi flowing and developing a healthy biofield. and my spine is getting way healither. I found yoga was good, but didn't address the spine anywhere near what Qigong does. and my tinnitus is going down.  https://www.holdenqigong.com/

Qigong means energy work, but it also helps to strengthen and stretch the whole body. 

Lee is great ahah

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Forestluv Thank you for the information. I will check that thread out and Adrienne's 30 day yoga series. I also found a Youtube channel called "Yoga with Tim", have you heard of it?

59 minutes ago, Sam Barker said:

@Forestluv Thank you for the information. I will check that thread out and Adrienne's 30 day yoga series. I also found a Youtube channel called "Yoga with Tim", have you heard of it?

Yes, I’ve also done Yoga with Tim. He is oriented toward the physical nature of yoga, such as posture alignment. His videos range from novice to intermediate. He is good to for exercise, stretching and balance. Yet he isn’t an Orange level fitness guy. He is solid Green. 

Adrienne’s videos are at a beginner level and broader. She adds in meditation, breathing, spirituality, emotions etc. She is at Green-Yellow. I’m a member on her premium channel and she can go into some spiritual realms. 

On 1/17/2021 at 0:21 PM, Sam Barker said:

As well as doing meditation every day, I want to start feeling fit and healthy. Do you recommend any youtube channel/videos I can check out to get started?

Cheers

Sing unabashedly, and learn to do so properly. In full attention to the stomach breath, the resonator (diaphragm), the registers of vibration (chest, throat, head) there is no singer, no yoga practitioner, just a vibration you are being, just a beaming of chakras. Throw a guitar or maybe piano in there and you’ll wonder what ever happened to ‘you’. What was I “unifying” again? And every song ever sung sings through you, for the very first time. An indistinguishable vibration of presence, expression of love. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

28 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Sing unabashedly, and learn to do so properly. In full attention to the stomach breath, the resonator (diaphragm), the registers of vibration (chest, throat, head) there is no singer, no yoga practitioner, just a vibration you are being, just a beaming of chakras. Throw a guitar or maybe piano in there and you’ll wonder what ever happened to ‘you’. What was I “unifying” again? And every song ever sung sings through you, for the very first time. An indistinguishable vibration of presence, expression of love. 

:x

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

May I vibrate as black thing since I don't believe in this anymore?

Black thing.Truth,because that is what I really am.

With enlightenment life and beleif in life ends so what expression of Love exactly we are talking about when there is literally zero need for any appearance.

Keep em lost in illusion in this new found spiritual way.

Edited by zeroISinfinity