Husseinisdoingfine

Is art being dumbed down? I feel as if a monkey can understand modern ''''''art''''''

32 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Rilles said:

You could even make a case that its harder than classical since you have to improvise everything on the spot, not a miss a note, and not sound like shit. ;) Not to mention the super advanced chords and chord progressions that are rarely found in classical music. Very angular music. 

@Rilles Jazz is something magical, definitely. Very interesting and idiosyncratic musical character. 

From my perspective, classical music is more difficult. There's some pieces that are just completely beyond comprehension in terms of complexity. 

Edited by Tim R

"Love is all that I can give to you ❤ Love is more than just a game for two!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JErVP6xLZwg 

8 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Rilles Jazz is something magical, definitely. Very interesting and idiosyncratic musical character. 

From my perspective, classical music is more difficult. There's some pieces that are just completely beyond comprehension in terms of complexity. 

Agreed! Im not a daily jazz listener by any stretch of the imagination to but to say its "noise" when youre a guru and not a musician is hilariously out of touch.

How strange it is to be anything at all

art cannot be limited by standards, it is foremost an expression of consciousness, therefore must be unlimited and free

11 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Greeting forum.

So when browsing this forum I notice someone posted a music video, this was a modern tech song but it was this:

@Husseinisdoingfine Yes the song I posted on the stage green mega thread 😂

I don't like it that much, but it came up on my YouTube autoplay. And when I heard the lyrics I just instantly thought depressed stage green, so I posted. 

Also, Osho doesn't know shit about jazz it seems

It is a scientifically proven fact that today's pop music is generally all alike, compared to, say, 30 years ago. The simple reason is that pop music is a product with an intended purpose, and the optimal solution has been refined into a generic formula.

Why do most bicycles since the 1880s look exactly the same? Or most smartphones since the original iPhone?

Heavy music expressing dark emotion offends some. Deeply emotional music makes others uncomfortable. Non-synth music lacks an 'edgy' vibe. Sophisticated instrumentals can require appreciation. Non-sexual lyrical content bores people. Songs that are too long fail to provide instant gratification. Etc., etc. Everything with real character gets weeded out of the mainstream.

So we end up with a generic formula, to be repeated from here to eternity. But at least it doesn't offend anyone.

In my last 15 years of working with music and game art ..... I've just seen way too many beginner folk that were either lazy or untalented go and settle for some sloppy and unrefined style just because they cant perform better and hide behind "this is the way I express myself" , or "there is no quality in art, its all expression" types of quotes. They do not want to do the work, but want to get the same level of credit and do it faster. Its not that there is something wrong with the mindset behind the quotes, its that many use it to hide their lack of skill.

I would say there is such a thing such as a "conspiracy theory" version of art, or a "pseudo science" version of it for the lack of better words. Its just way too abstract and open kind of an discipline for one to be able to really put his finger on the funky stuff.

Btw pop is template based music, you just fill the template with catchy stuff and you are done. Its like cooking brownies with pre-made store mix and calling yourself a cook.

Most musicians with composing experience of 1-3 months could make a pop song worthy of world fame on the spot without even trying, They will just need to have the connections in the industry and the name to make it popular. The quality would still be the same. It is designed in a way that it acts as a pleasant virus for the mind, its invasive. It pop-ular, because it is designed to be invasive. 

Ever tried to get rid of a catchy refrain looping in your head, yeah, not an easy thing to do, that is by design xD

Speaking of apophenia, this is an interesting video. xD

Edited by Yog

Art doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing, computationally complex, or even particularily soulful. The absence of those very things can itself be a form of art. In my opinion, art merely exists to evoke an reaction or pique your interest in some way, and it certainly looks like the examples provided here lived up to that :P.

For all you art elitists out there, try to step out of the formal frame of contemporary society: the obsession with status and statistics, of turning entertainment into a virtue; that the music you're consuming must be a product of raw techical talent, unbridled virtuosity, carefully thought-out and theoretically rigorous compositions; that everything has to be deliberate and purposeful, that it has to improve your IQ somehow, that it has to be socially impactful and decent. Loosen up a little :D

Edited by Carl-Richard

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.