TheSource

God is infinity...minus one? Or: God cannot end its Beingness(?)

13 posts in this topic

Hello dear community,

Since a long time, I asked myself the question "Why can't god kill itself when it is all powerful and encompasses all infinite possibilities? Shouldn't the possibility of killing itself be possible if everything is possible inside of God?". The answer (at least I think it was the answer?) came during a psychedelic trip where I felt adventurous enough to elaborate on this question. I said to myself: "Let's do it, let's try to end Beingness itself".  I tried to end my own Beingness but it was not possible because following answer was given to me by God: God cannot kill itself because God is Love and ending the existence of God itself would contradict Love. Because Love is the reason why God exists and Love is the reason why it cannot kill itself. Killing itself would mean that all creations of God would die too but this is against Love which wants to maximize itself in form of more forms and more complex beings.

I liked this answer because it ties Love and Being together. Love is the reason of Being and Being cannot be ended because of Love. It's some kind of a self-referential safety mechanism. So far so good but here's the question: If God is infinite and as Leo states: ACTUAL infinity. Why can't God kill itself? I still see that God is infinity, even if it cannot kill itself, but, well, it's infinity - 1 possibility.

You could say: "Gotcha! God is already dead because it's nothing, so it does not matter if it could kill itself or not!"...I mean not exactly that. By killing I mean, stopping Beingness...forever, not temporarily, forever. Eternal blank black/white/whatever void without any conciousness, without any new spawning forms.

The only way out which I see is that Being and Not Being are the same and God will instantly respawn itself because Nothingness always creates God again. But then, why wasn't I able to end my own Beingness during the psychedelic trip?

Could you comment on my statements? Do I have a fallacy somewhere which I don't see? Can God actually end its existence and my realization was not deep enough? Or does the question, "Can God end its Beingness?", make no sense at all?

Trust your instinct. That which is uncreated cannot be destroyed. Do you see? Creation is only relative reality. Ultimate reality is beyond birth and death.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Thanks @Moksha but still, I don't get it. Being is the ulitmate reality, isn't it? And this ultimate reality is infinite, or not? So why does this infinity not include the possibility of ending Beingness? As far as my realization went, I think that Being is that thing that was never born and cannot be destroyed. When I (my human form e.g.) die, I still will be. And being means that I will always be conscious. I can never be unconscious. Is this correct or incorrect?

Edited by TheSource
typo

Hello @neutralempty, could you elaborate a little bit further on that? To whom or what are you referring when you talk about "infinite potential"?

43 minutes ago, TheSource said:

As far as my realization went, I think that Being is that thing that was never born and cannot be destroyed.

This is the instinct I mentioned, and encourage you to trust. Whatever can be created, should not be trusted. Inevitably, it will always be destroyed. Ultimate reality is uncreated, and beyond destruction. It is who You are.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Because Beingness is not a thing, it is no-thing. Stopping something implies you think it is something that ever started, there isn't anything going on, nothing ever started, so nothing to end.
Not a ground beneath your feet, not a cloud in the sky. It is all you, painting a picture of you. A sneaky artist God is. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

6 hours ago, TheSource said:

You could say: "Gotcha! God is already dead because it's nothing, so it does not matter if it could kill itself or not!"...I mean not exactly that. By killing I mean, stopping Beingness...forever, not temporarily, forever. Eternal blank black/white/whatever void without any conciousness, without any new spawning forms.

That would not be death, that would be pure existence.

It can't die or kill itself because it literally has nowhere to go, and death is something it is imagining.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That would not be death, that would be pure existence.

It can't die or kill itself because it literally has nowhere to go, and death is something it is imagining.

What about periods of deep sleep?

It seems there is actually nothing there. There is not even consciousness.

Although I'm probably imagining such a thing as deep sleep. And it's not real. Right.?

There is no why to it, it just IS, being just is , isness just IS, it is prior to any hows or whys 

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

Thanks to all of you, for your answers! Every post was helpful to me. ^_^

I think I got it now. Can you tell me if I am on the right track?

After all what you said here, I made a mistake by creating a duality in my mind (Being vs. not Being). At the end of the day it does not matter if there is Being vs. not Being. God just is what it is. A perfectly symmetrical unity of everything. So, the question "Can God stop its Beingness?" is interesting but nonsensical from a non-dualistic standpoint. Because God is EVERYTHING. In a way it is and is not at the same time as all dualities finally collapse.

@TheSource Yes. God is nonduality, and God dreams duality. Ultimately, it is all one.

Lord of the gods, you are the abode of the universe. Changeless, you are what is and what is not, and beyond the duality of existence and nonexistence. You are the first among the gods, the timeless spirit, the resting place of all beings. You are the knower and the thing which is known. You are the final home; with your infinite form you pervade the cosmos.