Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pilgrim

Head vs. Heart: High-Demand Skill vs. Passion Project?

3 posts in this topic

I am about to dive into the "digital nomad" kind of work and life and am confronted with a problem: My rational part of the brain is feeling some fear and need for security and wants to do something that is somewhat "safe" to earn me some money.. I am thinking about UX design. I found a good online training for 8 months and then work as a freelancer in that field. The skill is in demand and I know I will find some online job opportunity with that.. be it a remote job or a freelance opportunity. I find UX design somewhat interesting, but it's not that it's my heart's desire to do this... but my only other option would be digital marketing; specifically copywriting and social media management and I certainly prefer UX design over these skills. 

My true interest however lies in psychology and art. And I am building an online project on Instagram connected to that. I am curating content about attachment theory, limiting beliefs and inner child work and explaining it with my own artistic illustrations through story telling. This is definitely where my passion lies and I also want to do more trainings in the field of psychology and become a therapist. Ideally I would attract an audience over Instagram and my website and be able to do 1-1 consultations over skype and zoom. This approach seems less "safe" to me regarding financial success, but I am just much more interested in that topic. 

Can you help me decide what to do? Should I do both? Or concentrate only on my heart's desire? I think I am somewhat talented in both, UX design also has to do a lot with psychology, you need to be able to understand the perspective of your audience very well and understand their needs and where they are coming from.. my background in marketing is for sure helpful with that, but my passion is for sure to work as a therapist. I am really twisted about this.. and considering to do both.. but I wonder if that's just fear speaking? And fear is as we all know a bad adviser. Or is it a reasonable consideration to learn a skill in high-demand and additionally to work on my passion project without pressure and see where that leads me? 

Really would appreciate some input, thank you ??♥️

Edited by Pilgrim

You don't need to know what you want to do. And alright I will expand on what I mean. Otherwise people don't like it ? Who you really are has already become what you wanna do and be and have. All you gotta do is relax into that. Infinite Intelligence already is that. 

It sounds like the skills you have with UX will improve your online psychology/therapy visions. I literally just posted something somewhat similar. Switching to just being a waitress for a year (rather than a teacher which takes up all my time) has given me time to think and work on my goals. I have to keep reminding myself to stop rushing it because it’s making me crazy. I feel like I have to find the solution and define my career RIGHT NOW. Lol. You got this!