StateOfMind

How is/was your transition from Stage Green to Yellow?

55 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, andyjohnsonman said:

But then you could easily fall into Qanon conspiracies you def need discernment. 

From my own perspective, the discernment that manifests as this is Stage is through that curiosity being directed as to why people hold problematic worldviews. At lower stages this would manifest as simply judging and demonizing , but by Yellow this is supplanted by the desire to contextualize (rather than just judge) other perspectives.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

8 hours ago, andyjohnsonman said:

But then you could easily fall into Qanon conspiracies you def need discernment.

No... xD 

Qanon is about demonization, the kind of curiosity Im talking about takes tremendous love and openmindedness. For example Qanon might say Hillary Clinton is evil, what Im talking about instead is actually seeing her as a human being and learning about her strengths and faults instead of making a caricature out of her, this can be done with everyone you consider "evil". Demonization and caricatures take you further away from truth, the ego loves to paint people with devil horns because its exciting and self-serving. 

Try it out, think of someone close to you that you really really despise, try to give them an objective and fair shake, not so easy as it seems. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I believe I am currently between orange, green, and yellow, but I have managed to transcend most of the negative aspects of green thinking. The main thing for me was to question everything, detach myself from my own dogma and start seeing in which aspects the people I believe are wrong are actually right. I was aware when this shift began but the weird thing is that I feel a part of me also went back to orange, perhaps because I tried to transcend orange too soon. One change I have noticed recently is my mind practicing detachment to people's negative aspects or opinions. In practice, this means for example letting annoying co-workers' opinions simply go out the other ear without me reacting to them.

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

No... xD 

Qanon is about demonization, the kind of curiosity Im talking about takes tremendous love and openmindedness. For example Qanon might say Hillary Clinton is evil, what Im talking about instead is actually seeing her as a human being and learning about her strengths and faults instead of making a caricature out of her, this can be done with everyone you consider "evil". Demonization and caricatures take you further away from truth, the ego loves to paint people with devil horns because its exciting and self-serving. 

Try it out, think of someone close to you that you really really despise, try to give them an objective and fair shake, not so easy as it seems. 

Yea i've tried this out quite a bit. I like how retrospectively if you do it enough you always catch the egos games out and realise these ppl aren't the construct the mind creates.

What i'm trying to say is you can be non judgemental and open to seeing points of view, but without discernment you could easily get lost and unable to navigate any of the terrain which could get you lost in Qanon. It's this discernment that means you wont get lost in the conspiracy theories - I know in spiritual circles the word judgement is a negative word but I see it as a positive, you need to judge people to understand how they relate to the world and use your mental maps to piece together what they are. The key is not condemning them for any of it with acceptance and understanding.

Edited by andyjohnsonman

Recognizing the story.

Feeling good when uncovering inconsistencies & hypocrisies about oneself that would better be not exposed for a continued good self-image.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

when i started coaching i had i glimpse of yellow, it was best feeling ever....everything felt into place.....

@StateOfMind  

I dont think true yellow can happen without the study of systems theory and self discipline

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

For me, easy ways to test if im moving to yellow...

Am I ok living in solitude? Or do I keep looking for some company?

Green is communal, while yellow is individualistic, but since it is now aware about the complexity of reality, solitude becomes important for mapping out these new waters.

Can I have an open discussion with an extremely ideological person? 

Go to some church or stage blue religious people and tell them that you want to know more about their faith. Hopefully, they will send you to some expert in converting people (the toughest of the nuts). Now let him teach you and spew his bullshit, while you sit there openly listening with curiosity and outmaneuvering any questiom that he might press you on. If you come out of that discussion thinking: "wow I learned a lot here", then you are likely either blue or yellow :D

@StateOfMind Just letting you know that the podcast for my Stage Purple Integration has been posted. Took us a while to get the kinks out of our podcast game, but we got it finally haha. 

GREEN: Prior to 2015 I would read a political or cultural article that had been written by a conservative and find myself agreeing with them in part, but then I would ask "what is their position on marriage equality?" I'd go to their wikipedia page and find their stance on marriage equality was bigotted, actively opposed, or just non-supportive, and then I would say to myself "well, who cares what they have to say about anything". And so I'd just ignore the things they had to say that I kind of agreed with. It was very tribal for me, as a gay man, since I felt a great sense that I didn't "belong" in the society at large and that society wasn't designed for people like me. So I was playing for Team Blue (i.e. Democrats) and was willing to adopt Blue logic, talking points, perspectives, etc, in order to advance the position of the Democratic party.

YELLOW: That changed for me after Obergefell vs Hodges came down in June 2015 ratifying marriage equality throughout the United States of America. And after seeing the White House lit up in the colors of the gay pride flag! The very emotional issues around belonging started to lose salience for me. And so I became comfortable in engaging more thoroughly with the perspectives of conservatives (even social conservatives!) without great regard for their position on marriage equality.

As I became more interested in hearing what they had to say and more accepting that I agreed with them on different things (more things than I would have been willing to accept prior to 2015, that's for sure!) I started to feel like I was deprogramming myself from some sort of a "cult" -- the cult of liberal politics, I suppose. I started to become angry at myself, at others, and at the Democratic party for only allowing a limited set of perspectives and voices to be representative of the whole. In fact, since I was so vocal about this discontent of mine, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people I've spoken to over the last few years would describe me as a conservative, as confused, or as both! I "walked away" from the Democratic party as a way of escaping the trap of tribal identification though I never gave any realistic consideration in voting Trump. I became an Independent (along with 40% of all other Americans, as I like to tell people).

TURQUOISE: Something I started struggling with in late 2020, however, is that even though the issues are complicated, multi-layered, and ridiculously nuanced, does anyone really care to hear "my take" on any given situation? Does anyone need to hear Boethius' view on the political calculations behind defunding the police, for example, or his assessment of all of the wonky policy details that would lie behind such an initiative? Probably not. So it's like, how can I appreciate the complexity of these issues (personally) while talking to people who remain committed to seeing the world through a Blue pair of goggles or a Red pair of goggles. It probably requires having some incredibly holistic sense of what my goal is in discussing politics in the first place and then secondly having a realistic sense of how I am situated as a participant in the larger political conversation. With the understanding that most people don't want to hear most of my thoughts on most of the subjects as a humbling tool in helping me get my footing. So it seems to me that I'm leaving Yellow (knowledge elitism) and moving into Turquoise (relational intimacy?) with my current understanding of political conversation.

But maybe that's all just a bunch of ego, who knows....

download.jpg

Edited by Boethius

On 1/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, SamC said:

Letting people develop in their own time and less debating is one thing I've noticed I'm doing less as I've started to move more and more into yellow. This goes hand in hand with giving yourself a break aswell when you notice the same thing withing yourself. 

Also, noticing that people always do their best and can't help themselves when they are being unaware and biased was a huge one for me.

I think this is exactly right.  I didn't go from green to yellow exactly, my life trajectory has been in many different places at once for a variety of reasons, but I now see social justice people as having an emerging awareness and upset abt the inherent unfairness of life but they have not yet developed the skills to deal with it or an understanding of why human life in any kind of hierarchies will be inherently oppressive.

I think I'm solidly in yellow with a few resentments abt some wounds but I don't really want to work on projects myself so I'd like to find like-minded people to collaborate with on big issues.  I could do these things myself but I'd be much more effective with others to pool and share skill sets.  Still I def don't feel like I have that deeply mystical turquoise worldview I've seen in a bunch of videos, nor do I necessarily aspire to that for now. 

On 3/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, Boethius said:

TURQUOISE: Something I started struggling with in late 2020, however, is that even though the issues are complicated, multi-layered, and ridiculously nuanced, does anyone really care to hear "my take" on any given situation? Does anyone need to hear Boethius' view on the political calculations behind defunding the police, for example, or his assessment of all of the wonky policy details that would lie behind such an initiative? Probably not. So it's like, how can I appreciate the complexity of these issues (personally) while talking to people who remain committed to seeing the world through a Blue pair of goggles or a Red pair of goggles. It probably requires having some incredibly holistic sense of what my goal is in discussing politics in the first place and then secondly having a realistic sense of how I am situated as a participant in the larger political conversation. With the understanding that most people don't want to hear most of my thoughts on most of the subjects as a humbling tool in helping me get my footing. So it seems to me that I'm leaving Yellow (knowledge elitism) and moving into Turquoise (relational intimacy?) with my current understanding of political conversation.

I agree with this.  I'm not opposed to hearing other people's views, but I prefer for them more to be analytical and aspiring to be objective rather than XYZ's subjective value system imposed onto the problem.  I like to understand the system dynamics and see how they're playing out, but just to understand and not form a judgment unless I'm in a position to make a change or influence something.

I am honestly very careful about how I influence friends these days.  If they're dealing with really deep personal issues, I try to just lay out the pros-cons of each decision to help them make a better decision for themselves.  I don't feel comfortable offering my opinion, unless specifically asked, bc I may be responsible for having a large impact on their lives and I am not that confident it will be positive or negative.  I didn't sign up for that.

@Elevated Agreed. One of the biggest bottlenecks to moving up is shadow material. Fixing the lower will allow the higher to flow in more naturally. Trying to move up with the lower in shambles is like trying to crawl out of a trench during a bloody war!

On 2021-03-25 at 10:15 PM, Dingo said:

Can I have an open discussion with an extremely ideological person? 

Go to some church or stage blue religious people and tell them that you want to know more about their faith. Hopefully, they will send you to some expert in converting people (the toughest of the nuts). Now let him teach you and spew his bullshit, while you sit there openly listening with curiosity and outmaneuvering any questiom that he might press you on. If you come out of that discussion thinking: "wow I learned a lot here", then you are likely either blue or yellow :D

@Dingo This is so accurate I love it

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"