fridjonk

Anyone into Calisthenics here?

29 posts in this topic

I've just started training calisthenics about 2 weeks ago and I'm interested to see if anyone here is into it. 

My goals are handstand pushup, muscle-ups, L-sit, superman pushups, and planche/planche push-up. I'm also working on my flexibility such as reaching a full split. 

Since I've just started I'm noticing rapid improvements and it feels amazing. xD

• What are your goals? 
  • Are you close to achieving them?
Edited by fridjonk

I love calisthenics as a part of my outdoor workout routines. Great way to get more mobility and strength into your joints and to strengthen skin collagen tissues. I still can't do muscle-ups although I can do about 12 handstand pushups, I think MU is 90% about the technique over the bar, the rest is either pull or push. 

No particular goals besides being active on daily basis ^_^

You should document your journey through videos on your journal, maybe add an occasional Aurora in background ;)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Hey. I want to get into it in the future. But first i'm going to at least finish the Xero program from athlean x. 

I was training to hold a handstand in the past. I could sometimes do it for 30 sec without a wall but i do feel that the shorter one is the more advantage he has in this. I am able to do 1 very slow and crappy muscle up. I guess i would like in some years to be able to do muscle ups with ease, handstands that i can hold for a long time and a flag. But these are somewhat long term goals. 

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

I still can't do muscle-ups although I can do about 12 handstand pushups

That's impressive, man! You could easily get the muscle-up if you'd practice the technique. Although it's just for show really, it won't really progress you any further, unless you do weighted MU's, which is my further goal. My main goal for this and next month is to get the handstand for at least 30 sec without a wall, best is 12 sec so far. 

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

You should document your journey through videos on your journal, maybe add an occasional Aurora in background ;)

I'll definitely write my progress down in my fitness journal, I'll think about shooting vids if I'm up for it. You really love those auroras, don't you. xD

@BlackMaze Yeah building the foundational strength is really important for proper form. I'd never have started off with calisthenics without having been in great shape already. From what I've seen in progression videos, you'd easily be able to do the flag and handstand pushups within 12 months, especially since you're already in good shape. 

4 hours ago, BlackMaze said:

but i do feel that the shorter one is the more advantage he has in this.

That seems to be the case for the planche and front lever, but we won't let that stop us. ;) 

I'm 184cm, 86kg, and have longer arms and legs than the average person so it will definitely be a little more of a challenge. I'm really focusing on my core work and flexibility so I can control my midsection better.

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk i can at least do the easy flag the one you hug the pole. I can also do handstand pushups but only with a wall. I wouldn't say i'm in good shape xD the last workout totally destroyed me and i can barely walk for the second day now. I used to be in great shape 10 years ago but after that i practically dropped it until now. I have the same height but i'm currently struggling to gain some weight. 

I also like those pushups without legs not sure how they are called but for now it seems impossible. All the handstand variations are also very impressive. I need to get at least a pullup bar but i don't want to damage the door frames. 

2 hours ago, fridjonk said:

You really love those auroras, don't you.

:ph34r:

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I used to do it, I didnt grow a lot of muscle but it was pretty fun. Let me know if you ever are able to do a front-lever and I´ll send you a medal Lol.

1 hour ago, BlackMaze said:

I also like those pushups without legs not sure how they are called

Planche pushups? 

1 hour ago, BlackMaze said:

I need to get at least a pullup bar but i don't want to damage the door frames. 

I've been using mine for about 8 months and with extra weights as well, I've not noticed any damage to the frame other than the wall becoming a little black from the rubber that holds it in place. Definitely worth it. :) 

32 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

I used to do it, I didnt grow a lot of muscle but it was pretty fun.

Yeah, you really need to work on weight training as well if you want to gain muscle with it, or at least weighted pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc, and eating at a calorie surplus. 

5 hours ago, fridjonk said:

Yeah, you really need to work on weight training as well if you want to gain muscle with it, or at least weighted pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc, and eating at a calorie surplus. 

Honestly, it depends. I grew quite some muscle, but I'm also a bit overweight and not nearly as advanced as you are, maybe also because of the excess weight. I'm doing calisthenics for a while now (not consistently though) and started with 0 pullups and a few unclean pushups. Now doing 5-6 pullups and 4-5 ring dips, which is not much, but I'd say I got quite muscular for this level. As long as you're in the 5-10 reps range, you progressively overload muscles and go to your maximum(!!!), you can build muscle. But nutrition is key here as well of course.

I'm into calisthenics as well, though I do exercise on lower sets and reps than normal. Not too interested in muscle size, but mostly muscle strength and function. I've applied some tips from the videos below to my workout, which can also be beneficial for muscle size as well:

and

Yes, calisthenics is awesome and very challenging. I like to balance it with yoga, because sometimes I am getting the chills that calisthenics revolves a lot around ego, due to the impressiveness and uniqueness of the exercises at hand (mostly HSPU, Muscle Up, Front & Back Lever, Planche, Flag, Pistols etc.). It easily extracts reactions from others watching you do this exercises. Calisthenics may be a huge ego trap, as you can see from the people obsessing over it as the end all be all of human movement.

Also, calisthenics feels (for me) very one-dimensional if you are working on it for a long time. Gotta mix things up.

@Danioover9000 Awesome! 

4 hours ago, Batman said:

because sometimes I am getting the chills that calisthenics revolves a lot around ego

Only if you let it. ;) 

I personally do it because normal fitness had become extremely boring and repetitive. And it forces you to work on flexibility and joint mobility, both very healthy things to have. 

Calisthenics is a fun way to spice things up. 

Edited by fridjonk

I love calisthenics and thats my go to form of exercise. I like gymnastics rings and ive been doing them outside in the snow over the past week its a great way to get some fresh air.

@andyjohnsonman Cool! I'll be getting myself some rings when I advance a little further. There is a playground close to me that has them as well, really fun to use. 

I lift weights, but rotate excersises on purpose to avoid the biological law of accommodation (for example swap bench for dips, then pause dip, then pause bench and repeat.  That way I can make progress without plateaus & the excersises carryover to each other)

So I train calisthenics as a part of my current program. 

My current calisthenics goals are to get 40 reps dip / 60 to 70 kg extra weight for 1 rep. 10 reps handstand against the wall.

The handstand goal is probably easier to achieve & I hope to get it within ~2 months. 

I think I could get the dip goal within ~4 months.

Honestly, most of my calisthenics excersises are pretty weak, I just list the excersises that I'm good at, since I mostly care about weights.

Currently I'm at 45 kg x 3 on dips, and 3 handstand push-ups. I'm gonna do greasing the groove on the handstands & the technique I described above for dips.

Edited by Michal__

5 hours ago, Michal__ said:

My current calisthenics goals are to get 40 reps dip / 60 to 70 kg extra weight for 1 rep

Sounds like you have quadriceps instead of triceps ;)

Good luck with your goals. 

42 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

Sounds like you have quadriceps instead of triceps ;)

Good luck with your goals. 

Thanks. 

Btw once you get a bit more used to the movements try this technique with weighted calisthenics, you will be amazed by how fast you can gain strength.

I'm working to getting back to training seriously after a shoulder injury that I yet have to understand and properly treat. I was inactive for almost a year after a couple of years training in the gym. 

I want to try something more "natural", that I can do anywhere, that combines play, strength training, flexibility, skill development, maybe even grace & balance (like dance). That's what I find most rewarding. Calisthenics certainly ticks a lot of these boxes. Hill sprinting sounds fun too. I'm also getting involved with hatha yoga, and would like to learn a martial art in the future as well, like muay thai.

I'm trying to figure out a way to practice various disciplines that I enjoy and that work together in harmony to make me more complete kinesthetically. I'll need to find a balance between breadth and depth, it's going to be tricky. Just wanted to share my athletic goals.