Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrick Lynam

Is "I dont know shit" a good mantra

6 posts in this topic

Becoming more humble, useful mantra? It seems like understanding reality it such a huge undertaking. Really wanting to get some permanent growth in this area. 

You can use anything as a mantra. You can sing "nooooodles" until it becomes completely meaningless. And then maybe you'll actually find out that you don't know shit.

I don't think you'll get to not-knowing by trying to trick yourself into it with this "I don't know shit"-mantra, because then you're gonna get  hung up on the meaning of the words of this mantra.

But try it, I don't know what works for you.

It could work but be aware that is also a paradox. Because you know that you don't know shit. It's like the zen talk about how a devotee asked the master: I've freed myself from all desires except one. How can one free himself of the desire of desiring not to desire?

I think it's better if you deeply acknowledge that you don't know shit rather than repeating meaningless words

It might be worthwhile to spend some time writing down all the ways in which you don’t know shit. I wouldn’t use it as a mantra though, I would advise something more conducive to the path. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

Whether or not you realize it, or even acknowledge it, you don't know shit. Knowledge is fool's gold. Directly realize reality, free from conceptualization, or don't.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.