Alfonsoo

What should I make of all the chaos in the world?

14 posts in this topic

I try to stay away from social media and the news but inevitably I receive some information about corruption, environment, powerful people manipulating from behind the scenes, etc. Basically 1984 on steroids. 

And I cant help but think if I should even try to do anything. I would like to know how a high consciousness would respond to this world situation if even respond at all.

Edited by Alfonsoo

For me, I keep in mind that all this in my consciousness is just a dream. Everything happening, and everyone in it, are all a dream I'm dreaming up. Sometimes the dream is beautiful and sometimes it's a nightmare, but still just a dream. It's entertainment. So I just enjoy the show. 

1 hour ago, Sempiternity said:

For me, I keep in mind that all this in my consciousness is just a dream. Everything happening, and everyone in it, are all a dream I'm dreaming up. Sometimes the dream is beautiful and sometimes it's a nightmare, but still just a dream. It's entertainment. So I just enjoy the show. 

I guess, you could take it like that

@Alfonsoo I don't blame you for keeping away from social media. I've long since given up putting the world to rights, if the large scale isn't your thing, then I'd suggest doing small acts of kindness in your local community. Help out if you can, do a bit of volunteering, smile more, talk to your neighbours, make friends with lonely people, feed the birds, pick up litter. Start a meditation group. Whatever your loving consciousness feels is needed. 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

28 minutes ago, snowyowl said:

@Alfonsoo I don't blame you for keeping away from social media. I've long since given up putting the world to rights, if the large scale isn't your thing, then I'd suggest doing small acts of kindness in your local community. Help out if you can, do a bit of volunteering, smile more, talk to your neighbours, make friends with lonely people, feed the birds, pick up litter. Start a meditation group. Whatever your loving consciousness feels is needed. 

but I feel like there’s nothing to be done against the big “evil” in the world. On top of that i feel like it’s just distracting me from spiritual work. So i’ve got mixed feelings

Stuff is ever more likely to break and something new is ever more likely to be born.

Learn gardening.

Build resilience on multiple fronts.

Best to eliminate any chaos in your inner world, as that's in your control.

I've singled out the environment as the biggest issue and have done a whole bunch of stuff, investing in renewables, etc. The fossil fuel lobby is my nemesis. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. But if peace is needed, question that same 'I' and let it vanish.

All of the chaos is a direct reflection of the state of our collective human psyche. Go within yourself, feel your own suffering and unrest with being, and you will find why there is so much chaos.

Edited by Consilience

23 hours ago, Alfonsoo said:

but I feel like there’s nothing to be done against the big “evil” in the world. On top of that i feel like it’s just distracting me from spiritual work. So i’ve got mixed feelings

Then simply focus on your spiritual work. Perhaps try looking at why you have mixed feelings? Could be some social indoctrination which you have internalised that we should be fighting evil. But training yourself to be peaceful, equanimous, unconditionally happy is just as useful. What is your spiritual work, if you don't mind me asking? 

@snowyowl Well i’m not that advance yet. Currently 15 minutes a day of meditation (i’m gradually cranking that up), inquiry, gradually reducing social media and all that and idk if it counts but reading from leo’s list. I’ve been practicing detaching but i’ve found growth is slow it’s that. I’m thinking about journaling.

How much chaos it there really? Yes, the situation in the US is tense, but so far we still have food chains, running water, electricity, etc. Without wanting to downplay the severity of the attack on the Capitol, even that - an actual attempted coup - only resulted in 5 deaths and so far more widespread violence hasn't occurred. For a nation dealing with massive economic, health and social issues, that is extremely bloodless when we look at similar situations in history.

I undestand that our 24/7 media cycle, smartphones etc have made it seem like the world is a constant state of bad news, but if you take a step back and look at the actual situations critically you would see that things perhaps aren't so bad as your mind is projecting them to be.

Also, let's not forget that there can be no growth without first a doing away with the old patterns that weren't serving us. While it might be tempting to think that the world ~5 years ago was more "stable", you have to remember that everything we're seeing today is just a result of the negative trends that were already happening during this time. It can be hard to see right now but everything going on is actually for the best right now, since it'll force societies out of their sleep and really make the positive reforms that will lead to a more humane, conscious, democratic society.

Think of how most Americans are now on board with government stimulus ($2000 each, imagine trying to pass that 5 years ago!) Think about how many more people are now involved in democratic activity and are taking an active interest in their communities. Think about how close we are to getting healthcare in America. Think about how many people want life to be less focused on work and more focused on communities and hobbies thanks to all the people working from home. There is a lot of bad, yes, but there's positive things coming out of this. We just have to go through this period of tension first, and then we'll see all the massive benefits.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

On 1/11/2021 at 7:44 AM, Apparition of Jack said:

There is a lot of bad, yes, but there's positive things coming out of this.

Here's an excerpt from an article I was reading on Townhall:

During these last five days in Florida, a state governed by the pro-freedom party, I went anywhere I wanted. First and foremost, I could eat both inside and outside restaurants. At one of them, when I stood up to take photos of people dining, a patron who recognized me walked over and said, "I assume you're just taking pictures of people eating in a restaurant." That's exactly what I was doing. I even took my two grandchildren to a bowling alley, which was filled with people enjoying themselves playing myriad arcade games as well as bowling.

The last time I felt I was leaving a free society and entering an unfree one was when I visited the communist countries of Eastern Europe. As a graduate student majoring in communism, during the Cold War, I would travel through the countries known as Soviet satellites: Poland, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. In the middle of my trips, I would stop in Austria to breathe free air.

Never did I imagine I would ever experience anything analogous in America, the Land of the Free, the land of the Statue of Liberty, and of the Liberty Bell. But I did yesterday when leaving Florida and returning to California.

There is no question that America is becoming if it hasn't already become, two countries: one that values liberty, from small businesses being allowed to operate to people being allowed to say what they believe, and one that has contempt for liberty, from eating in restaurants to free speech.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Don

Me on the road less traveled.

I think that avoiding is not enough. You should build something your own to make your mind busy with it 

On 11/01/2021 at 2:54 AM, Alfonsoo said:

@snowyowl Well i’m not that advance yet. Currently 15 minutes a day of meditation (i’m gradually cranking that up), inquiry, gradually reducing social media and all that and idk if it counts but reading from leo’s list. I’ve been practicing detaching but i’ve found growth is slow it’s that. I’m thinking about journaling.

Sounds awesome to me :) so what's the problem? You've got a steady practice, making progress. Sure, the world is awash with chaos, always has been, we all do our bit to help. 

Edited by snowyowl