Rilles

Trump Supporters Storming The Capitol! - MAGA Coup Mega-Thread

1,050 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Anderz said:

CNN wrote that 48 Democrats and 1 Republican in the House support impeachment. And 12 Democrats in the Senate.

But it requires a supermajority for impeachment.

No. Impeachment occurs in the House and only requires a simple majority. If articles of impeachment pass, a trial occurs in the senate and conviction requires a 2/3 majority. If convicted, the president is removed from office. 

House Democrats could impeach Trump again somewhat easily, yet there is very little chance of the senate convicting him. To get 17 Senators to convict, Trump would need to do something that is outrageous even for him. Something like Trump leading the mob carrying an AK47 and shooting a senator and a police officer. And it would need to be unambiguously on video. That's how complicit republicans are at this time. 

13 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

If convicted, the president is removed from office. 

But how long does that whole process take?

Can it be done within a week or two?

And what do you think Trump will do during those two weeks where he sees that he's being kicked out? He will go into hardcore attack mode. He will take off the gloves. He will fill his entire cabinet with fascist goons and loyalists and they will fight it as though they were fighting a real coup attempt. Is that worth it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Not at all.

All that would do is kick him out of the White House.

He would not be charged with any serious crime or face prison time.

To put him in prison requires a long ass legal trail that will last years, and you need a hard crime like tax fraud.

The current Justice Department rule is: You literally cannot charge an active President with ANY crime!

Trump could shoot someone in the White House and he would not be chargable.

It's the dumbest thing ever thought up by mankind.

That's what I'm saying. If the Democrates control the House and the Senate, and enough Republicans are pissed, that if they could intact the 25th amendment and kick him out, then immediately charge him with all the crimes he committed, while he no longer has the immunity of the presidency. Do it before he tries the Self-Pardon bullshit. He'd have nothing to save him then.

Then hold him without bail, like they do with most high risk high criminals. That way he can't flee to another country or walk free and hold up everything in the courts for years. 

Or is it that all crimes he did under the presidency is immune forever, and he is only able to be charged with crimes after the presidency ends? 

5 minutes ago, Sempiternity said:

immediately charge him with all the crimes he committed, while he no longer has the immunity of the presidency. Do it before he tries the Self-Pardon bullshit. He'd have nothing to save him then.

Then hold him without bail, like they do with most high risk high criminals. That way he can't flee to another country or walk free and hold up everything in the courts for years. 

Dude, that will take YEARS of legal battle.

No court is just gonna allow a US President to sit in jail awaiting a lengthy and complex trial.

You gonna lock him in jail for some angry tweets?

Or is it that all crimes he did under the presidency is immune forever, and he is only able to be charged with crimes after the presidency ends? 

No. He can be charged after he leaves. For example, he can still be charged for the Mueller probe crimes.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

No court is just gonna allow a US President to sit in jail awaiting a lengthy trial.

Maybe this is the big question then. If he is able to be charged, but has the ability to walk free and hold up everything for the rest of his day, while he plays golf, it would be the same as not charging him at all, he'd still have no consequences for any of this. So if the country wants any justice at all, some judge is going to have to have the balls to have him arrested without bail, have him waiting in a holding cell till trail and sentencing. 

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

But how long does that whole process take?

Can it be done within a week or two?

And what do you think Trump will do during those two weeks where he sees that he's being kicked out? He will go into hardcore attack mode. He will take off the gloves.

There isn't enough time during his tenure. To move it through that fast, 17 republican senators would have needed to commit today to convict Trump. 

I think most lawmakers want to run out the clock and hope Trump fades away. I don't think they want to incite Trump and MAGA.

My understanding is that it's technically possible to start impeachment proceedings now and continue after he leaves office. Yet I seriously doubt there is appetite for that, even centrist Dems want to avoid that. They could impeach after Trump leaves office, yet those are bad optics for Dems, distracts from legislation they want to pass and there is no way the senate would convict him. I don't see any upside for Dems.

My prediction is that the most to come out of this for the next two weeks is restraining Trump so he doesn't have any more rallies and doesn't incite another riot. Plus, a heavily secured inauguration. I don't see any more action than that. Once he leaves office, I predict there will be trials over his finances - mostly at the state level. At the federal level, I think Garland's justice department is going to focus on repairing damage and trying to plug up holes so this doesn't happen again, rather than trying to convict high level Trumpers. Garland is about as non-partisan as it gets for a judge.  

I would bet against Trump spending any time in jail. I see years of court battles and a bunch of plea bargins. Perhaps some type of home-restraint ankle bracelet and probation. Yet, I don't know much about law, just a hunch.

1 hour ago, Sempiternity said:

some judge is going to have to have the balls to have him arrested without bail, have him waiting in a holding cell till trail and sentencing.

Keep dreaming.

seems like we have no recourse against all the shit trump has done. if it all comes down to some tax fraud trial in NY then we really can only focus on the future and look to limit presidential privileges and focus on the loop holes trump exposed. surely a biden justice department will have the balls to do some investigations and see what they can charge him with. not sure there is anything or how it would go in the courts. 

Edited by Lyubov

Probably that’s why he ran for president. Now he has protection for all the bad things he had done. 
It sucks... 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Here's how the MAGA cult can cost you your life:

I feel as though a vote of censure against Trump by congress is neither too little nor too much. It could strike the right balance.

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Here's how the MAGA cult can cost you your life:

That door was barricaded by security. You can clearly see she was shot as she was trying to climb through to other side. They likely considered that as the last defensive position before reaching the congress members and aids trapped inside the chamber. They shot her as she was the first invader coming in the chamber. They probably assumed anyone breaching the last line of defense was most likely armed, and had to defend themselves, the Senators, and any other innocent life in the chamber.

Hopefully 35-yr-old Ashli Babbitt becomes a face of MAGA for what happened yesterday. A young woman who got brainwashed into a cult, and convinced to give her life for that cult leader. 

Another good take:

Are the people doing this the same people who believe that the world is ran by a communist jewish pedophile cult? And believe in chemtrails, 5g and agenda 21 and all the david icke and Alex Jones crap?

If that is the case, Trump is not the only who is responsible for this civil strife. This has been a long time coming and it's all due to the avalanche of right wing propaganda that has been circulating the internet since it's inception. People don't know what to believe anymore, and a lot of normal everyday people have been radicalized by these kind of ideas and are complicit in this coup. This is bigger than just this one event.

Edited by Lionhead

A good chunk of people believe Antifa did this. That’s how sorry we are as a country.

55 minutes ago, Sempiternity said:

Hopefully 35-yr-old Ashli Babbitt becomes a face of MAGA for what happened yesterday. A young woman who got brainwashed into a cult, and convinced to give her life for that cult leader. 

Why do we have to handle her with kid gloves? It sounds like all personal responsibility of hers for the situation she put herself in is being taken away. I think she was a potentially violent radical willing to destroy the democratic process which keeps our country from becoming some form of authoritarian ethnocentric regime. If this was a Muslim people many would say they were a terrorist. I’m tired of MAGA lunatics being painted as some some misguided gullible bunch that otherwise would be benevolent. These are dangerous radicals.

Edited by Lyubov

Apparently a police officer that got hit in the head by one of the rioters yesterday has been pronounced dead after being taken off life support.