Vision

Journaling - Paper or Digital?

12 posts in this topic

I’ve been doing all my written self-reflection digitally. But after hearing that handwriting with a pen helps you remember and connect much more with what you’re writing than with a keyboard, I’m considering switching to handwriting. 

Apparently it’s because when you’re handwriting, you’re making a lot more fine muscular movements than the movements you make when simply pressing buttons on a keyboard, which better immerses your thoughts into the writing.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you use to journal?

I have heard the same things about handwriting that you mentioned. I journal a lot; have been doing it for more than 5 years now. Mostly, I do it digitally, especially if I am journaling to keep a record of my practices.

However, when it comes to actual practices that involve writing, for example, morning pages (ref. The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron) or sentence completion exercises (ref. The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem, Nathaniel Branden) I prefer to hand-write on paper.

I've just starting with journalling 

Got the very same question but finally got to watch leo's video on it and since then i am using OneNote application

I'd rather handwrite for some parts of my journal (parts regarding thoughts, meditations, visualizations..) but seems it's handy to get it all in one with this application.

Will report..

You can get an iPad and do both; they have a really effective technology that converts written text to computer text. 

I vastly prefer handwriting to typing. Buuut like anything, it's not entirely black and white. For me, I handwrite because my inner artist will draw small pictograms alongside my wording for emphasis. (Not to mention, I have a bunch of gel pens and a sketch notebook, which makes the act of writing a pleasure in itself.) However, the disadvantage of handwriting is that it is a slow process. Typing is lightning fast comparatively, which in turn increases you chances of getting everything that you thought down without forgetting much detail. Sometimes I have a million insights at once and by the time I've written a couple of them down, I already forgot the rest.

Cheers!

15 hours ago, Vision said:

What are your thoughts on this? What do you use to journal?

A paper journal for the emotional stuff. 

An electronic journal for the other practical stuff.

Try to search through handwriting through dozens of pages. Or link one thing you wrote a year ago with another thing now for reference. Not practical. 

I'm sure ypuve heard people pn this forum mention using OneNote. I recommend the same. 

I do unstructured journaling/contemplation/ideation in physical journals and then structure and polish it in digital

So basically use 2 methods, but my main go to journal sanctuary where everything is stored is digital

Sometimes I also contemplate just in a head and then jot down the results in digital later. It really stretches your mind imaginative powers and capacity, visualization and conceptualization is getting a work out too

It's way easier and more efficient I found, though, when you can have a journal with you. It kinda deloads your working memory so you can focus more brainpower on getting new insights rather than having to hold stuff in your memory

I like to write on paper for more personal, emotional stuff, as I find it way more expressive.

Short little insights (which can be expanded on, depending on the specific insight), I quickly capture on my phone to not forget them. When I'm on my computer, I transfer the insights to OneNote, where I've created a couple of categories. Maybe they get polished. Sometimes I leave them raw as they are. Same goes for practical stuff, as well as 'work-in-progress-texts' (for example an issue I've been contemplating for weeks or months).

I do both.

My daily journaling is done by hand but my studies and notes I log into my commonplace book are all digital. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Paper journal is great for recording your contemplation progress.
When I have to physically clear space for writing, my mind naturally calms down.
I also find it helpful to write my thoughts with a calligraphy pen so that I slow down and focus even more.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2