Ingit

Need suggestions, My first day of Gym ever

25 posts in this topic

@Michal__ No idea who Mike Thurston is to be honest. But its a good video and he says exactly what I'm basically saying, which is that it really depends on the individual.

Just putting this out there, I've been working out for 9 (almost 10 years) now and I studied as a personal trainer once so I hold some pretty strong opinions. I am open to new ideas and other ways of doing things though obviously

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@Michal__ No idea who Mike Thurston is to be honest. But its a good video and he says exactly what I'm basically saying, which is that it really depends on the individual.

Just putting this out there, I've been working out for 9 (almost 10 years) now and I studied as a personal trainer once so I hold some pretty strong opinions. I am open to new ideas and other ways of doing things though obviously

I've been training for ~7 years naturally, achieved most of my goals.

So I guess we're on the same page skill wise, except with opposing views. 

Do you know Jeff Nippard's channel ? If you do what do you think about his training style?

27 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

4 minutes ago, Michal__ said:

Do you know Jeff Nippard's channel ? If you do what do you think about his training style?

Heard of him once but haven't watched his videos so I can't really give an opinion

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

If I would boil down some of my limited gym experience:

1) Develop motivation and a vision. Get stoked. Imagine your own desire for exercise benefits. Get passionate about whatever you're into: build, physique, strength, athleticism (whatever). Get interested in related topics, like diet, exercise, and recovery. There are tons of resources on articles, websites, Youtube, books, magazines, and academic literature. Exercise is an immense field of knowledge. 

2) Slow and steady wins the race.

a) Take a few months to lean into your limits. Injuries can set a person back a long way. Start off gradual--gradually build up. To start, any resistance at all should trigger significant development. To start, the most significant adaptation is neurological adaptation--your muscles are already stronger than you can normally use; but heavy weights will trigger the nerves to interact with all your muscle fibres. Within a few months,  you may gain ~10 pounds--mostly glycogen storage and water in the muscle, that will makes the muscles look fuller. 

b) If you get an injury--actively study about healing that kind of injury. For example, say a person hurts their lower back: shooting pain from hell for months. That injury might set them back for a whole year--at least. Or, the person might discover that shooting lower back pain is likely reference pain from an atrophied gluteus medius--a fix that might take just a few weeks to actively recover.

3) Progressive Overload is the name-of-the-game. Gradually, the goal is to add weight (lbs) or numbers of repetitions to each exercise. Progressive overload is the #1 driver of development and progress. 

a) Be objective about progressive overload. At a bare minimum, use a notebook to record your exercises, the weights you use, the numbers of sets, and the numbers of repetitions.

b) A cell phone app can make objective progressive overload simple. I have scoured quite a few hours for free apps--and there are some. Personally, I use a simple and highly intuitive app called "Strong". The app costs ~$50.00 CND per year. I have made far more progress in ~1 year of objective overload to meet or beat last time, than I made in several years of training 'as hard as I could' without objective measurement.

c) Don't overlook the topic of proper Recovery, including (i) the appropriate use of failure during exercise (i.e., failing during an exercise because it is impossible, and not just difficult, to lift any more), (ii) Rest days (may vary), (iii) De-load Weeks (supports progressive overload in the long-term), (iv) nutrition, and (v) sleep.

4) The meat and potatoes are: deadlift, squat, bench press, row, shoulder press, and pull-up. Everything else is gravy. 

5) periodically watch YouTube videos on proper form. Make notes about "prompts" (things to remember during the exercise) in your notebook / workout app, for future weeks.

Edited by RobertZ

15 hours ago, RobertZ said:

If I would boil down some of my limited gym experience:

1) Develop motivation and a vision. Get stoked. Imagine your own desire for exercise benefits. Get passionate about whatever you're into: build, physique, strength, athleticism (whatever). Get interested in related topics, like diet, exercise, and recovery. There are tons of resources on articles, websites, Youtube, books, magazines, and academic literature. Exercise is an immense field of knowledge. 

2) Slow and steady wins the race.

a) Take a few months to lean into your limits. Injuries can set a person back a long way. Start off gradual--gradually build up. To start, any resistance at all should trigger significant development. To start, the most significant adaptation is neurological adaptation--your muscles are already stronger than you can normally use; but heavy weights will trigger the nerves to interact with all your muscle fibres. Within a few months,  you may gain ~10 pounds--mostly glycogen storage and water in the muscle, that will makes the muscles look fuller. 

b) If you get an injury--actively study about healing that kind of injury. For example, say a person hurts their lower back: shooting pain from hell for months. That injury might set them back for a whole year--at least. Or, the person might discover that shooting lower back pain is likely reference pain from an atrophied gluteus medius--a fix that might take just a few weeks to actively recover.

3) Progressive Overload is the name-of-the-game. Gradually, the goal is to add weight (lbs) or numbers of repetitions to each exercise. Progressive overload is the #1 driver of development and progress. 

a) Be objective about progressive overload. At a bare minimum, use a notebook to record your exercises, the weights you use, the numbers of sets, and the numbers of repetitions.

b) A cell phone app can make objective progressive overload simple. I have scoured quite a few hours for free apps--and there are some. Personally, I use a simple and highly intuitive app called "Strong". The app costs ~$50.00 CND per year. I have made far more progress in ~1 year of objective overload to meet or beat last time, than I made in several years of training 'as hard as I could' without objective measurement.

c) Don't overlook the topic of proper Recovery, including (i) the appropriate use of failure during exercise (i.e., failing during an exercise because it is impossible, and not just difficult, to lift any more), (ii) Rest days (may vary), (iii) De-load Weeks (supports progressive overload in the long-term), (iv) nutrition, and (v) sleep.

4) The meat and potatoes are: deadlift, squat, bench press, row, shoulder press, and pull-up. Everything else is gravy. 

5) periodically watch YouTube videos on proper form. Make notes about "prompts" (things to remember during the exercise) in your notebook / workout app, for future weeks.

Thank you... i will take points into consideration

?IngitScooby ?