Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Do Republicans actually campaign better than Democrats?

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I've been thinking how some progressives I've heard from including Cenk and Ana from TYT and Forestluv from the Forum, who have said that Republicans are better than Democrats at framing and narrative control and that's why Republicans more often than not beat the Dems. I don't totally understand this though. What do you guys think and if true then why?

If by better you mean worse, yes ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

We have to define campaigning here. What aspect of campaigning? I don't think they are better at framing or narrative control on most issues voters make their minds up on. They are good at muddying the waters and confusing people into apathy. I think they are very competitive at gerrymandering, voter suppression and strategically winning geographic pluralities through these avenues. The entire system itself is set up in such a way where many votes are not counted equally and seats in congress/senate are not allotted equally. Why the fuck should some rural state get 2 senators when it has a small fraction of a population compared to some big state that gets the same amount? 

Edited by Lyubov

@Hardkill Nowadays, it's often not the parties that campaign, but coroporate SuperPACs. Sometimes those PACs finance both sides at the same time to make sute they have some politician enthusiastic to them regardless of who wins.

Yet the corporations tend to finance Republicans more often, as they are more lax on tax regulations and don't push progressive policies that moght hurt the bottom-line. If Republicans hurt corporate profits then it's probably a result of a mistake caused by them being stupid.

So yeah, Republicans campaign better because they don't actually campaign. Big corporations with access to your data do it for them. Republicans also love to undermine voting rights of minorities, so that also helps to keep them in power once they get there.

Republicans have better memes. That’s about it from my perspective. It’s the weaponization of ideas these days. Republicans have a much more abundant arsenal in this arena.

Donald Trump's remarkably successful 2016 campaign emphasised anger and negativity; the very phrase MAGA implies that America is not great - surely an outrageous statement by a leader. The fact that he won is partly a reflection on his large-scale psychological manipulation (including unmoderated misinformation campaigns on social media), partly a reflection on systemic corruption like gerrymandering, but also suggests that he was more clued-in to how 'real' people outside of Obama's forced-optimism culture were feeling. In the latter respect, yes, the campaigning was better.

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If by better you mean worse, yes ;)

lol. I am confused.

18 hours ago, Lyubov said:

We have to define campaigning here. What aspect of campaigning? I don't think they are better at framing or narrative control on most issues voters make their minds up on. They are good at muddying the waters and confusing people into apathy. I think they are very competitive at gerrymandering, voter suppression and strategically winning geographic pluralities through these avenues. The entire system itself is set up in such a way where many votes are not counted equally and seats in congress/senate are not allotted equally. Why the fuck should some rural state get 2 senators when it has a small fraction of a population compared to some big state that gets the same amount? 

I definitely get the idea that republicans constantly use gerrymandering, voter suppression and strategically winning geographic pluralities through these avenues. I also agree that it isn't right that votes are not counted equally and seats in congress/senate are not allotted equally. Though why has Forestluv said that "Dems absolutely suck at framing and narrative control" and why have other progressives like Cenk and Ana from TYT said statements "Democrats HATE their base! Republicans excite their base!", "Democratic leadership and the media just doesn't get it because they don't know how to think like a regular person! They're all such elitists!", "Republicans are better than the Dems at framing and getting there message across to public"

19 hours ago, Girzo said:

@Hardkill Nowadays, it's often not the parties that campaign, but coroporate SuperPACs. Sometimes those PACs finance both sides at the same time to make sute they have some politician enthusiastic to them regardless of who wins.

Yet the corporations tend to finance Republicans more often, as they are more lax on tax regulations and don't push progressive policies that moght hurt the bottom-line. If Republicans hurt corporate profits then it's probably a result of a mistake caused by them being stupid.

So yeah, Republicans campaign better because they don't actually campaign. Big corporations with access to your data do it for them. Republicans also love to undermine voting rights of minorities, so that also helps to keep them in power once they get there.

I thought that Dems usually end up getting a lot more campaign money than Republicans do.

18 hours ago, Hardkill said:

I thought that Dems usually end up getting a lot more campaign money than Republicans do.

They do, and both parties are so to speak "bought". But this particular kind of support, big corporations' money from SuperPACs, Republicans get more. Source: https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/summ.php?cycle=2020&chrt=P&disp=O&type=S

Dems also need more money to win anything, because they have to win by bigger margins, due to the electoral college and other weird solutions in their voting system. 

11 hours ago, Girzo said:

They do, and both parties are so to speak "bought". But this particular kind of support, big corporations' money from SuperPACs, Republicans get more. Source: https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/summ.php?cycle=2020&chrt=P&disp=O&type=S

Dems also need more money to win anything, because they have to win by bigger margins, due to the electoral college and other weird solutions in their voting system. 

So, according to the source and what you're saying, the republicans get a lot more SuperPAC money not just for their party, but also for Against Dems.

Ok, so then why do Justice Democrats keeping saying "Corporate Dems don't know how to fight back against the republicans!", They negotiate too much with Republicans!", " They unilaterally surrender to them!", "Most Democrats are weak and don't have the balls to call it out and be more aggressive like most Republicans are!" "Corporate Democrats are feckless, which is why they usually lose to Republicans in elections and suck at getting new bills pass through Congress or through state legislatures!"?

9 hours ago, Hardkill said:

They negotiate too much with Republicans!

Because they both were paid and lobbied by the same companies with the same agenda. If they don't do that they will lose their campaign budgets in the next elections.

On the other hand, Justice Democrats get most of their money from individual donors, who support them on the base of values they represent, so they have freedom to push for progressive, enivronmental and anti-monopoly policies.

Edited by Girzo