Value

Talent vs Practice?

9 posts in this topic

Well, what are your thoughts? Just a fun topic to discuss.

@Value Talent comes through practice. If someone is talented, it simply means they practiced at a young age. Nobody is born talented.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@AlphaAbundance I agree that people can naturally be better at certain skills, but only practice will reveal it. I doubt someone can be talented without practice.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise If you mean, talented as in complete mastery, than of course

However, if you mean talented as in talent then

• Being naturally conventionally smart ----> Talent at mathematics, logic, reasoning
  • Being naturally confident ----> Talent at socializing
  • Being tall -----> Talent at basketball
  • Being shy ---> Talent at getting no bitches

I could go on all-day

Just concede :P

Edited by AlphaAbundance

2 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@How to be wise If you mean, talented as in complete mastery, than of course

However, if you mean talented as in talent then

• Being naturally conventionally smart ----> Talent at mathematics, logic, reasoning
  • Being naturally confident ----> Talent at socializing
  • Being tall -----> Talent at basketball
  • Being shy ---> Talent at getting no bitches

I could go on all-day

Just concede 

I can object to no.1 and 3. If you don’t practice mathematics, you won’t be good at it no matter how smart you were born. Similarly if you don’t practice basketball, you won’t be good at it even if you were the tallest man on Earth.

Depends on how much the talented person works. If he doesn't put in any effort then hard work will beat him most of the time. But I'm not sure if it can be categorized like that, since there are different degrees of talent and hard / smart work.

I'd say smart work with the right mindset beats both.

Talent = an "artificial" concept.  Doesn't exist naturally.  Its intended definition is something like: A relatively high aptitude for attaining a given goal when compared to peers trained under comparable conditions; this aptitude may or may not appear immediately.

So, really, you have to define what you mean by talent as it's a vague term.  Different cognitive preferences may approach learning in different ways.  Some cognitive stacks may lend themselves faster starts and slower ends; some may be more suited to slow starts but unrivalled mastery.  E.g. extraverted sensing dominant types are, typically, faster at getting things right straight away (like they have faster response times), but they soon reach their potential.

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.