Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bubba66

Life Coaching for High School and College Students

6 posts in this topic

What are some examples of quality life coaching resources online, specific to the adolescents and college age range? I am interested in the actual practice of coaching as it is applied in person or by phone/skype, and would find YouTube or web recommendations useful.

More specifically, I would love to know if there is a high quality resource with Coaching Case Studies, which are pretty much summarized scenarios based off of real coaching practice, that I can reliably study and learn from. There are some inauthentic case studies out there used as marketing tools. I am not interested in that sort of thing. 

My purpose in asking is to help me understand the utility and practical application of "coaching", and further define the difference between coaching and therapy in my own mind. Coaching is going to be one tool I use in my life's work, and I have decided to turn to this forum for help in investigating it further. Currently, I am reading some of the books on the book list, which do seem helpful but a little outdated. Any book suggestions would be awesome as well.

I understand that there are coaching programs out there that would readily provide this information and training. I am not looking for information behind any sort of pay wall at this time. I don't discount the value of these programs, but I also do not intend to spend $9000 on IPEC training right now.

Hey there. 

Seems we both became interested in pursuing coaching for our life purpose at nearly the same time  

In the couple weeks I did research I luckily discovered some great resources.

Some are paid though.

evercoach (from Mindvalley)

- this one has amazing free guides to coaching and the business of coaching

- also offers two books which come with courses (personally bought them recently, didn’t get a chance to look into it)

- do offer some free courses there

- also videos on their TYchannel

Eben Pagan and James Mel offer coach training and there’s some free stuff from his Virtual Coach Program and more.

Podcast wise:

1 Insight by Rich Litvin

iPec Podcast maybe (One Idea Away)

Other sources. 

Leo’s page somewhere on actualized.org where he writes a little about the difference between Coaching, Consulting and Therapy. In case you didn’t stumble upon it already.

And some of Leo’s Life Coaching Threads on the forum.

3 hours ago, Bubba66 said:

but a little outdated

Care to expand on the “outdated” part? I’m curious. 

Got two of those bools already.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

14 hours ago, Bubba66 said:

a high quality resource with Coaching Case Studies

You expect a lot for nothing. Good luck with that.

That kinda thing is what coach training programs are for.

Coach training for someone who's in high school or college is not really appropriate. People that young lack the wisdom and life experience to coach others. Of course you can learn coaching at any age, but it's gonna be hard to get people to take you seriously.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura hypothetically if people were to take you seriously, Is an honest a pure intention to help others grow enough to be successful coaching at a young age or do you need that baseline life experience?

Edited by VictorB02

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

@peqkno thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for in throwing a line out here! Great suggestions. What I mean by outdated may just be insecurity about a publication date older than 5 years; some academic PTSD about using good quality resources I am sure. 

@Leo Gura I probably was not clear, but I aim to research coaching the demographic of adolescents and college-aged people; not necessarily coach training geared for this population. This age range is ripe for discovering wisdom that can be gained through proper introspection, grounded in evidence-based psychology (I assume most coaching practice is evidence based, right?) 

My life purpose is born out of a passion for improving the lives of people who feel lost in public education. I became a nurse so that people take my credential seriously and trust my sources; and so that I know professional tact on some level. This purpose requires more than “improved guidance counseling”; it requires a systematic approach to coaching and mentoring young people who want more out of life. 

I am not a cheapskate btw, I am interested in iPEC’s training. I value learning things with discipline and structure. I am preparing by studying up and saving up.

I was that kid who wanted more out of life when I started college four years ago; and thats right when I found Actualized.org. Pretty good fortune there; but personal development could become a standard, not left up to chance. 

Type into google MaxTornow.com

There is a free video about the thing you might be looking for.

Yes, it is a sales video but I think this guy is at least legit. Maybe it´s helpful.

Btw I personally don´t care about this coaching thing at all and have no experience with it. This guy just came to mind.