Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xxxx

Brain

10 posts in this topic

What is the brain capable of? 

To my knowledge, the brain is a part of the whole we call mind. So, we could call brain as the human expression of the mind. 

Can we realise the infinite, ultimate capacity of the mind through the brain, albeit the human limits?

Can one ‘train’ it to have a permanently meta perspective? Can we become the infinite mind in this human existence at all? 

30 minutes ago, xxxx said:

Can one ‘train’ it to have a permanently meta perspective?

Meta is relative. In a sense, you're always meta in some regard.

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

Meta is relative. In a sense, you're always meta in some regard.

Could you explain this further? 

Is there something like an ultimate meta, and if yes, can we reach it in this human life? And how can our brain achieve that? 

@xxxx Point to brain. Can you find it in your direct experience? 

Remember the the old adage of "You are not the body and you are not the mind" 

I hope I've answered your question appropriately? I wasn't 100% sure what you were asking. ?

Edited by Jonty

@xxxx The mind isn’t located in the brain. It’s actually located in the entire body. Every cell has a mind. The reason why we associate the mind with the brain is because the brain has the most cells. That’s it. The entire body is the mind. 

This is one of the most interesting things I learnt from the book ‘Conversations with God.’

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

14 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

This is one of the most interesting things I learnt from the book ‘Conversations with God.’

I still remember the crude example he used to illustrate the point, too!

But the mind must be even more than that since it remains to some degree even after the death of the body.

Using art as an example, the brain must be capable of connecting with infinity, but by definition it is itself finite, having a limited number of neurons.

Edited by No Self

4 hours ago, No Self said:

I still remember the crude example he used to illustrate the point, too!

But the mind must be even more than that since it remains to some degree even after the death of the body.

Using art as an example, the brain must be capable of connecting with infinity, but by definition it is itself finite, having a limited number of neurons.

You're forgetting the third part. We humans are three part beings, as God said. Body, mind and soul. The soul is not inside the body as most people think. It’s actually everywhere. All of reality is your soul. So there are no such things as ‘individual souls.’ There is only one soul.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Jonty @How to be wise @No Self

Thank you for your answers. 

I understand the imaginary aspect of this, but my question is :

We have a nervous system, that consists of the brain, which is the principal organ of the body - where sensations, both internal and external are processed and that determines the existence of the person. The nervous system is a complex network of sensory cells, that employs many chemical messengers to make sense of this highly complex system of smell, hearing, vision, etc. Our existence is a result of our relationship with the brain, and its extraordinarily complex electrochemical processes - capable of receiving thousands of signals per second; a small example: our vocal cords that produce sound are modified by the lips and the tongue to create speech are controlled by the brain - if it were not for this, we wouldn’t even be able to talk, or do any other thing, for that matter. 

It’s due to the brain that we can do all the calculating, thinking, dreaming, communication, expressing, memory, emotions such as happiness, annoyance through the limbic system, etc. 

So, to what extent can we ‘train’ this extraordinary entity, that while being imaginary, is very real — to achieve high states of consciousness permanently? It is impossible to ‘experience’ reality / imagination / consciousness / feeling (whatever we call it) without the brain, in this human form. 

Can we alter the synapses and our neuronal networks, and if yes, what is the highest capacity?

How can we do it?

What are the limits?

While going through daily life, to what extent can we be totally meta (also, what is the ultimate meta that a human can experience) - and how can this state be achieved? 

Then, can we be the God-head in this human form - and does this require highest levels of brain functioning or brain death?

We are here to ‘experience’ this, right? What is the epitome of the utility of the brain? 

@Leo Gura Help, maybe? 

Thank you

Edited by xxxx

19 minutes ago, xxxx said:

We are here to ‘experience’ this, right? What is the epitome of the utility of the brain? 

I see what you are asking.

One area that I have researched extensively is near-death experiences. People not only continue to live without the body, but often report 360-degree vision, psychic communication without vocalisations, seeing a much larger colour spectrum than we know on Earth, feeling no discomfort standing in front of a light much brighter than the sun, rapidly processing vast quantities of information and so forth.

The implication is that our sense organs and the brain are actually an enormous suppression and limitation compared to the soul's natural state, by design, whilst still enabling a range of experiences.

The ambition of living the most Godlike life, like Jesus and other masters, is surely the highest purpose. But focusing directly on the brain could be very limiting, as it is just another body part by comparison. Integrating spiritual insights into your practical life will naturally result in a more peaceful, inspired and profound mental state, but this is merely a byproduct of knowing and being your true Self.

Rupert Spira says that if spirituality were a 12-chapter book, awakening would happen at the end of chapter 1 and the remaining 11 chapters would be all about aligning our lives with what has been discovered.

@xxxx

2 hours ago, xxxx said:

So, to what extent can we ‘train’ this extraordinary entity, that while being imaginary, is very real

Real imagination? ;) 

Leo did a brilliant video in which he discussed how to "flatten" ideas and concepts. It's called "Grasping The Illusory Nature Of Thoughts" It could really benefit your inquiry. ?

Edited by Jonty