Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striving for more

Adaptogens - Experiences ?

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if reishi mushrooms are a nootropic and improve cognition. 

I've heard rumours they are "lucky mushrooms" - could they make people more lucky? : )))

I've tried lions mane tablets but I didn't really like the effect. It was either neutral or negative. 

Edited by Striving for more

I've tried a few for anxiety sleep and fatigue

Ashwaghanda - pretty good, works on gaba receptors, calming

Rhodiola Rosea - Made me irritable and angry also a bit anxious, not for me

Lions Mane - Pretty good but i think it messes with my sleep ( a lot of supps mess with my sleep)

Probably a couple of others

Not sure if i've tried Reishi

I still have some Cordyceps at home which i haven't tried yet

They are good, although I seem to respond pretty good to adaptogens. 

Ashwagandha does wonders for my sleep and feels very tranquil, lion's mane I've found good for creativity if you have a good source and can help with brain fog, Rhodiola is quite effective for wiping away fatigue and L-theanine is easily my favourite; absolutely calms you down fast whilst enhancing cognition nicely at the same time. Personally I wouldn't bother with reishi or cordyceps unless you just want a purely physical boost but I'd recommend saving cash on that stuff. 

Things I've tried during my noots experiments year with the intent of reducing brain fog.

Rhodiola Rosea 500mg - Increases overall physical energy, reduces overthinking, improves mood. Sometimes makes me irritable. Improves memory a bit. Helps with brain fog but doesn't have a significant effect.

Astragalus 500mg - the best I've ever tried. Cuts through brain fog and allergies like antihistaminics but better. When I take it I can feel a sudden clarity in my thoughts and it's easier to pay attention to the environment.

Bacopa 300mg - Reduces anxiety a lot, reduces motivation to the point of depression and anhedonia. Improves memory by a lot. I really don't recommend this supplement if you already struggle with motivation/energy. It'll suck the life out of you. Only take it if you have severe memory impairments. I MEAN it.

Ashwagandha 150mg - reduces anxiety but makes me intensely apathetic and unmotivated. I don't think I need it to be honest.

Panax Ginseng - Little boost in energy. Not sure if placebo. The first adaptogen I tried.

The thing with adaptogens is that you can take them everyday and they become stronger the longer you use them. Even if you read somewhere on the internet than you should take breaks - don't.

My personal favorites are ashwagandha and rhodiola rosea.