GroovyGuru

Is there a point to spirituality/psychedelics aside from desire for truth?

14 posts in this topic

I feel like I’m in too deep and have learned too much to simply turn my back on spiritual teachings. I find them interesting to learn about, as I do many other things (reading/learning about psychedelics included). 

If I’m honest though, the true genuine desire for truth just isn’t there at the moment. Nor has it really ever been in my young life. I mostly study these things because I simply find them interesting to learn about and think about. 

In fact, at this moment in time I find stories and discussions about “truth” and things like complete ego annihilation to be incredibly terrifying. Especially stories about really extreme psychedelic trips. I find them as scary as I do fascinating. 

The “truth”, although undoubtedly the most interesting topic of discussion I’ve ever discovered, seems painful and unpleasant when I hear about it. Is it possible this genuine desire for truth will one day emerge (I’m only 22). Should I stick to it, as in continue reading, watching videos, meditating, journaling and doing everything else I’ve been doing? I simply don’t have the life experience and courage to take this path seriously, although I feel as though I SHOULD, at least eventually. 

I think I would feel extreme guilt if I lived my whole life without ever really pursuing spirituality hard. I’ve just learned too much already. That said, I do sometimes feel as though it would have been better if I was completely ignorant of this subject

52 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

That said, I do sometimes feel as though it would have been better if I was completely ignorant of this subject

why?

Another point to spirituality would be to find true happiness and peace from within, independent of external condition.

@PurpleTree Well, I guess I don’t truly think that. But I feel confused with my life. I feel I have this pressure now to constantly be improving and learning and to waste no time drinking beer with friends or playing video games or whatever. I’ve just become super serious about life, which is perhaps a good thing. But now my standards are so high. I’m becoming more isolated and lonelier because my friends engage in too many low consciousness activities. I don’t like my job because it’s dull and uninspiring, and now I’m often stressing about what direction to go in life because a regular, high paying corporate job is no longer acceptable. 

I guess I’m wondering if going down this path is even worth it if I’m not even that serious about it. I’m serious about learning, because I’m genuinely curious and interested in dozens and dozens of aspects of reality and life. I just don’t have the courage to pursue this stuff deeply because I’m afraid I’m gonna have some profound experience that changes me before I’ve even experienced some basic things in life like accumulating some money or having some dating success, for example.

It’s like what I value most and want most out of life is wisdom, but I’m also actually afraid of it. 

@GroovyGuru Just do the work now, face the fear when it's head on. You're going to have to face it at some point. This week I got covid-19 and I had every symptom in the book. I was in unbearable suffering, but if I thought about that before getting covid-19 I would have been too scared to even leave the house. 

7 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

I feel like I’m in too deep and have learned too much to simply turn my back on spiritual teachings. I find them interesting to learn about, as I do many other things (reading/learning about psychedelics included). 

If I’m honest though, the true genuine desire for truth just isn’t there at the moment. Nor has it really ever been in my young life. I mostly study these things because I simply find them interesting to learn about and think about. 

In fact, at this moment in time I find stories and discussions about “truth” and things like complete ego annihilation to be incredibly terrifying. Especially stories about really extreme psychedelic trips. I find them as scary as I do fascinating. 

The “truth”, although undoubtedly the most interesting topic of discussion I’ve ever discovered, seems painful and unpleasant when I hear about it. Is it possible this genuine desire for truth will one day emerge (I’m only 22). Should I stick to it, as in continue reading, watching videos, meditating, journaling and doing everything else I’ve been doing? I simply don’t have the life experience and courage to take this path seriously, although I feel as though I SHOULD, at least eventually. 

I think I would feel extreme guilt if I lived my whole life without ever really pursuing spirituality hard. I’ve just learned too much already. That said, I do sometimes feel as though it would have been better if I was completely ignorant of this subject

There's not really a choice in the matter...the seeking either continues spiritually or materially. The trick is seeing for yourself there's nothing to find, no one to find it and that wholeness is already the case. But that requires first hand witnessing ? ❤

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Yeah it is possible. You can realize something that awakens the desire to know the truth. So I'd say stick to it.

On 24/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, GroovyGuru said:

I’ve just learned too much already. That said, I do sometimes feel as though it would have been better if I was completely ignorant of this subject

If your finding spirituality isint having a positive effect on your life then don't continue it. But just be careful. There is real spirituality and false spirituality. Really, true spirituality is not something that can be learned. It's not information that goes in your head. It's a transformation of your entire being. 

To your original question, regarding the benefits of spirituality...real spirituality that is ...

Yes. You become perfect. Everything becomes perfect. All of your suffering ceases to exist. You realise you are absolutely immortal (actually). And basically all of life answered and fulfilled. 

Edited by Aaron p

Well, if you’re only 22, then the core problem is this: finding a lifestyle which gets you a meaningful way of being engaged with the world and earning money, while allowing you to get enjoyment out of your work. It doesn’t mean that a corporate route is out of the question, some people are happy there and live a spiritual life besides. 

Spirituality is not something you are going to “solve”, it is a long process of maturing and gaining wisdom. And I wouldn’t take the whole thing of living humbly too literally either... money allows you to do things, travel, get involved in projects. Acquire skills, do things with your life, don’t get stuck at the minimum. Just be aware where you put your time and effort, and don’t allow circumstances to stick you into some time and energy sucking dark hole. 

Now is a good time to become a well-rounded person... take up an art or learn to play music, develop yourself, have some fun. There will be plenty of later years to be serious. 

Edited by Bodhitree

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

Is there a point to spirituality/psychedelics aside from desire for truth? uh yeah... literally 90% of the people that get into this stuff is to resolve some form of suffering 

On 12/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, GroovyGuru said:

The “truth”, although undoubtedly the most interesting topic of discussion I’ve ever discovered

That IS the love of truth. That is the desire for truth.

You just need to cultivate and feed that impulse like stoking a coal into a roaring fire.

Love of truth is a bitter-sweet thing. Don't expect it be like candy. Truth requires a mature palate. You can develop your palate by pursuing truth gradually until you come to appreciate it more and more.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You can recontextualize it and view Spirituality as seeking Love. I find that this recontextualization can offer a healthier outlook and path.

Glory to Israel

@GroovyGuru When I started spiritual practice, I did it to relieve my suffering. And relieve my suffering it did. Afterwards, it was just about growing to my full potential, and exploring the best in life, which for me is found in spirituality.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie