Elshaddai

Is it truly wise and good to bring children into existence?

45 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Life is like 5% suffering, max. The rest 95% you're free to make it however you want.

If that's the case for you, great, but it's not the case for everyone.

14 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

If that's the case for you, great, but it's not the case for everyone.

It's the case for 95% of humans. The remaining 5% may be suffering more, I'll give you that.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

8 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Anti-natalism is ironically enough survival-based thinking

Spot on

32 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

It's the case for 95% of humans. The remaining 5% may be suffering more, I'll give you that.

No it's not the case for 95% of humans. But let's agree to disagree.

@Blackhawk What do you mean by suffering? Most people have decent health and live decent lives for most of their lives. If someone is suffering more than they're supposed to, it's most likely that they're suffering from delusions, in which case enlightenment exists to free them from that suffering. Don't draw false conclusions from a few examples.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

13 hours ago, No Self said:

Wait, you're using commonsense? Get outta here!

But that's exactly what I said - IMO - Only reproduce if you have the finances, intelligence and overall circumstances to provide for your children.

EDIT: Even tho, I know a narcissistic couple who just popped 2 daughters into existance, even tho they have the money it will be a psychological hell for their kids. I imagine growing up with just one parent with NPD, but with 2.. it's just pure hell.

Edited by meow_meow

5 hours ago, meow_meow said:

But that's exactly what I said - IMO - Only reproduce if you have the finances, intelligence and overall circumstances to provide for your children.

EDIT: Even tho, I know a narcissistic couple who just popped 2 daughters into existance, even tho they have the money it will be a psychological hell for their kids. I imagine growing up with just one parent with NPD, but with 2.. it's just pure hell.

Sadly, due to Dunning-Kruger, the end result is that the most incompetent and narcissistic people will gleefully pump out new life, while the more thoughtful will abstain. It takes intelligence to recognise a lack of intelligence.

it may be true what you say but you can never know what the human your gonna bring into this life will be like, maybe he/she will have a wonderful life full of success and ups and downs, it'll be hell of a ride

we will die someday and the pain of life will end as well but all the stuff in between, you can't deny anyone from it

if you have a nice life and can take care of a baby properly, it'll be fun to have one and the baby will have fun too 

@Elshaddai the interesting thing about Anti-Natalism is that it's almost impossible to argue against. Just by looking at very basic arguments on the wikipedia page you can see why.

Look at Anti-Natalism, it's very tricky to argue against (as a Natalist for example) if you're willing to be honest beyond cultural conditioning and concede that they have a point. It's similar to how it's very difficult to argue against a vegetarian. 

That utilitarian analysis of benefit vs suffering, its very streamlined. Perhaps it looks that way from axiomatic systems of perception that are invisible to my recognition, but are nonetheless there as a part of me, or they are at least present for formulating things in a convincing way. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

5:00-6:10 Makes good sense. 

People should heal from their childhood trauma and toxic shame before bringing someone into a shame based world. Passing on trauma from generation to generation. 

Edited by Ethan1

my future husband will decide about that lol, its too complex for me lol 

I’ve found family, having kids, to be the single most fulling aspect of experience possible. Much more so than enlightenment, which is who I am either way. An inexplicably mystical groundhogs day of love, joy, laughter, learning, self discovery and togetherness. Bliss. Nowhere I can turn, nowhere I can go, which is not radiant visceral love. Infinite L??P. 

“I mean what's the point of it all right?”.

Nothing like a kid to make you realize how full of shit you are. ?

Inspect those who avoid and can not tolerate such interaction. Contemplate this, child. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I don't think so. At least I don't plan to have children. When you get right down to it life pretty much sucks. Who am I to make someone else have to go through it? For that matter what gave my parents the right to decide that for me. I have been told there is an old catch phrase "life sucks then you die." It is pretty much on the mark.

Edited by Jake Johnson

I forgot this quote. I love this quote too:

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."
- R.D. Laing

21 hours ago, Jake Johnson said:

I don't think so. At least I don't plan to have children. When you get right down to it life pretty much sucks. Who am I to make someone else have to go through it? For that matter what gave my parents the right to decide that for me. I have been told there is an old catch phrase "life sucks then you die." It is pretty much on the mark.

How do you know that they would make that same conclusion? This is not a one-way street.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

12 minutes ago, Jake Johnson said:

Whatever they wouldn't decide their existance for themselves.

If they had the chance to decide, how do you know what they would choose?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 hours ago, dflores321 said:

It's absolutely beautiful to have children :)  I'm only 20 so I dont plan on having any soon. 

But imagine every day seeing this piece of consciousness growing bigger and bigger, smarter and smarter. And passing on your knowledge to it. 

Must be great. 

Notice how you are only seeing it from your perspective as a parent.