ucan99

Meditation books recommendation

12 posts in this topic

I just saw shinzen young's "science of enlightenment."  It looks like he is a good teacher. I have been meditating for 3 months now. Is there any other book you would recommend me instead of shinzen young's. There is plenty I found whose authors I don'y know about. You can also recommend me good teachers to attend seminars, retreats.

"The Mind Illuminated" by John Yates.

It's a systematic approach towards samatha practice, a practice which cultivates the ability for the mind to concentrate, which is the #1 issue new and long term meditators have. Samatha is essentially a state of mind that is unified, harmonized, stable, tranquil, and at peace with itself AND it is incredibly conducive towards the cultivation and integration of insights of all kinds. All forms of meditation if done rigorously enough will lead to some kind of samatha, but you can have more or less efficient paths. 

Until you can focus you attention like a laser bean, forget about awakening. One of the most powerful ego defense mechanisms is the scattering of attention and the conceptual mirage such scattering supports. This system counteracts this while also providing beautiful, supportive, and even healing states of mind. 

Read: A Million thoughts by om swami

All of your life you have been told that God created you. God come now to tell you this:  You are creating God❤️

Fuck books! HAHAHAHAHA, go do the work :), learning is great, but sometimes we are just burienhg ourselfs in knowledge, so we don´t do the practice.

Sorry for my bad english brother ;)

On 12/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, Consilience said:

"The Mind Illuminated" by John Yates.

It's a systematic approach towards samatha practice, a practice which cultivates the ability for the mind to concentrate, which is the #1 issue new and long term meditators have. Samatha is essentially a state of mind that is unified, harmonized, stable, tranquil, and at peace with itself AND it is incredibly conducive towards the cultivation and integration of insights of all kinds. All forms of meditation if done rigorously enough will lead to some kind of samatha, but you can have more or less efficient paths. 

Until you can focus you attention like a laser bean, forget about awakening. One of the most powerful ego defense mechanisms is the scattering of attention and the conceptual mirage such scattering supports. This system counteracts this while also providing beautiful, supportive, and even healing states of mind. 

This book is one of the main sources Frank Yang recommends as well, it's on my shelf in queue :)

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

This book is one of the main sources Frank Yang recommends as well, it's on my shelf in queue :)

About to start today with it

Need something to start with

Via this forum i read Leo recommended Young's stuff for understanding that "do nothing" concept or labelling (can't remember well...have to say..too much concepts going on).

Any advise ON HOW TO START READING?

Apart from all this material in actualized.org which is PURE GOLD

About to start today with it

Need something to start with

Via this forum i read Leo recommended Young's stuff for understanding that "do nothing" concept or labelling (can't remember well...have to say..too much concepts going on).

Any advise ON HOW TO START READING?

Apart from all this material in actualized.org which is PURE GOLD

Edited by ertopolice

On 25/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, Hardik said:

Read: A Million thoughts by om swami

This is all you need

B8657F91-4905-4362-846E-863984822878.jpeg

Centering Prayer is more a meditation practice than it is a Prayer. It’s a practice which helps one to cultivate non conceptual awareness.

Cynthia Bourgeault claims that the salvation Jesus taught was in fact the perception of nonduality--and she's becoming famous for how she backs up this claim quite reasonably, relying on the Bible, church fathers, and especially the Christian contemplative tradition.The notion of nondual Christianity doesn't originate with her, of course, but she's prominent as one of the more articulate voices making people aware of it today. In this new book, she teaches the basics of Centering Prayer as a way to the perception of noduality. It thus will go a bit deeper theoretically/theologically than the other numerous Centering Prayer books, while still serving as a basic introduction. And in the fascinating third part of the book, she analyzes the Christian mystical classic Cloud of Unknowing , to find in it a model for living with nondual consicousness.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

- The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa:

Very detailed and long book about meditation and mindfulness. It contains virtually anything you can possibly learn about meditation.

- True Meditation by Adyashanti

This book is also excellent but I'd say it's for mainly intermediate meditators who have the basics down and farily good concentration skills already.

Culadasa (John Yates) - A Meditator’s Practice Guide to The Mind Illuminated