r0ckyreed

Blood Clot During Meditation?

9 posts in this topic

Is it possible to get a blood clot after sitting completely still for one hour?

I am a little nervous about sitting completely still for an hour due to a risk of thrombosis or blood clots. Throughout my life, especially on long trips, my parents would always tell me to move my butt around to prevent blood clots. Do you think it is also wise to do this during meditation. I don’t move from discomfort, I move out of the fear of getting a blood clot. 

But the thing is, I am not sure if it is possible to get a blood clot after one hour of hard core still sitting. I have heard of monks sitting still for long periods, but typically sitting still for a long period of time is a recipe for blood clots?

So for my example, I have sat in a car for 10+ hours while adjusting, moving, and getting out (using the bathroom on road), but I have never sat completely still for one hour. Could this cause a blood clot?

What do you all know about this?

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

@r0ckyreed I can assure you with one hundred percent certainty that this question should be asked to your GP.

There's literally dozens of risk factors that increase the chance of having blood clots. New agey armchair wizards on this forum don't know your medical history...

Please ask your GP...

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Unless you have some medical condition you shouldn't worry about that. Besides, sitting 1hr in the same posture hurts. Your body isn't stupid.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour is not enough to give you blood clots. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@r0ckyreed do you have any medical condition? Do you take blood thinners or any history in the family has blood cloths?

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

3 hours ago, James123 said:

@r0ckyreed do you have any medical condition? Do you take blood thinners or any history in the family has blood cloths?

Good point. I should have mentioned my health. Health wise, I would say I am above average in physical fitness. My family is more obese now, but I am 6ft and weigh 145 and I run 3-6 miles no problem. I was highly involved in cross country, tennis and band when I was back in high school (4 years ago).

No family history and I don’t take any blood thinners. My resting heart rate (this morning) is 47 bpm (resting heart rate is usually around from 45 bpm - 55 bpm)

@FredFred @Rilles Thank you!

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

@r0ckyreed good. If you are still worried about blood cloths, I would suggest you to stretch for 15-20 minutes before and after meditation. You should be fine. But if you are still worried ask your doctor to make sure. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

@r0ckyreed  Well there are two sides to your problem. A concrete rational and scientific one and an emotional. 

https://www.stoptheclot.org/the_basics/how_common_dvt/#:~:text=The cumulative chance of developing,older people to develop DVT.

The above link has statistics on this and the organization where these come from is quite reliable. The cumulative chance of blood clot over a lifetime is 2-5% and it is including very unhealthy and unfit people which you are not. Therefore you do not stand at a very great risk of a blood clot. The only risk is your low bpm but even that can not be considered as risk because there is no concrete evidence I can find to show this.

However we have to pay attention to the emotional problem at hand because if you say you were moving around for 10+ hours and this belief was planted in you as a child then this belief has penetrated to your core . It would be a really good opportunity for you to learn and experience the dissociation between rational and emotional thinking, how emotions effect your rational thinking and how fear makes you overcompensate for a low or non existent risk, What you have in your mind now is a belief that if you sit for a long time without moving then you will get a clot, which is a very scary thing. This kind of belief which is threatening to your very life is very hard to overcome due the strong fear this causes you. So you can start to train to get rid of this fear by simply not moving at all for the however long time you meditate. And the above statistics should give your rational mind the confidence to start training the sub conscious mind.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, James123 said:

@r0ckyreed good. If you are still worried about blood cloths, I would suggest you to stretch for 15-20 minutes before and after meditation. You should be fine. But if you are still worried ask your doctor to make sure. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, Kamran Khan said:

@r0ckyreed  Well there are two sides to your problem. A concrete rational and scientific one and an emotional. 

https://www.stoptheclot.org/the_basics/how_common_dvt/#:~:text=The cumulative chance of developing,older people to develop DVT.

The above link has statistics on this and the organization where these come from is quite reliable. The cumulative chance of blood clot over a lifetime is 2-5% and it is including very unhealthy and unfit people which you are not. Therefore you do not stand at a very great risk of a blood clot. The only risk is your low bpm but even that can not be considered as risk because there is no concrete evidence I can find to show this.

However we have to pay attention to the emotional problem at hand because if you say you were moving around for 10+ hours and this belief was planted in you as a child then this belief has penetrated to your core . It would be a really good opportunity for you to learn and experience the dissociation between rational and emotional thinking, how emotions effect your rational thinking and how fear makes you overcompensate for a low or non existent risk, What you have in your mind now is a belief that if you sit for a long time without moving then you will get a clot, which is a very scary thing. This kind of belief which is threatening to your very life is very hard to overcome due the strong fear this causes you. So you can start to train to get rid of this fear by simply not moving at all for the however long time you meditate. And the above statistics should give your rational mind the confidence to start training the sub conscious mind.

Thanks guys! I have been meditating for one hour without moving my lower body! I have had to adjust and straighten my back a lot during my 1 hour meditations because my posture kept changing during my sit. But I managed to do it! Thanks guys!! Merry Christmas! ? ❤️