Matt23

Shunyamurti... cult?... probs: Reviews

165 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yannick said:

Nope but I would give Sadhguru as the spiritual heavy weight champion the benefit of the doubt if I had to ?

Same ??

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If anything we're in the Dumass Yuga.

All these fucking yugas are imaginary. Wake up!

I wonder how you, or him, or me, or any of us would know for sure about whether something like that is or isn't true, though. 

Instead of trying to make the right decision, make your decisions right.

1 hour ago, Nightwise said:

I wonder how you, or him, or me, or any of us would know for sure about whether something like that is or isn't true, though. 

Because when you have the awakening where self/other collapses- your consciousness expands so much that other people are no different than the thoughts you are having now.   When you think of a unicorn obviously you can tell it is only in your mind.  It's the same feeling with this it is just with everything...the mind expands to include everything else....right now the state of consciousness is purposely lower so that there is an apparent separation between self and other.   It will really freak you out when it happens but there will be no denying it or escaping it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

2 hours ago, Nightwise said:

You can know for sure that time is imaginary.

I see no direct experience of any simplistic yuga model. The whole idea of four simple cycles of time which keep repeating forever is very childish to begin with. Human evolution is way more complex than that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can know for sure that time is imaginary.

I see no direct experience of any simplistic yuga model. The whole idea of four simple cycles of time which keep repeating forever is very childish to begin with. Human evolution is way more complex than that.

I actually would like to believe you're right. I've been following Shunyamurti for some time and I throughout a very dark period I encountered in the summer of 2020 his apocalyptical prophecies weren't particularly helpful in order to ease my anxiety and the distress I was in; Quite the contrary...

I used to find it very difficult to detach from the his viewpoint even though I could intellectually discern that what he was saying was simply a perspective which he may have been wrong about. Fortunately over the past number of months I've found myself being able to get more distance from this anxiety that he provoked about us being in the 'end of times' when he was talking about it, being more open to the fact that this is simply a perspective and not all spiritual teachers align with his ideas.

I still listen to his teachings. I enjoy listening to him from time to time. But some things that he is saying I'm taking with a grain of salt now, not allowing myself to be emotionally dragged along by it.

Edited by Nightwise

Instead of trying to make the right decision, make your decisions right.

Worrying about the end of the world is silly. The whole point of awakening is to not give a fuck about such things. If the world ends, it ends. No point thinking about it.

BTW, human civilization is more peaceful and better than ever. There has never been a better time to be alive. Don't let Shunya bullshit your with his stories.

I asked him when human civilization was better. He said in the ancient times. I told him 40% of the ancient Roman population were slaves. He just handwaved my objection away. That little fact didn't fit his worldview so well.

Human civilization is better than ever and it ain't going anywhere. So buckle in and enjoy the ride.

I'm the reincarnation of an ancient Roman. Yes Roman life was difficult. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

He has some good wisdom about trauma and love. 

I always thought the yugas thing was silly. Seems like he is worried about us collectively dreaming up the end to civilization. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

Much of what I see Shunya teach on YouTube is honestly just a propagation of belief systems. The very way he teaches, again at least from all that I’ve come across in exchange with him over both YouTube, livestream satsang, and email is really just taught as beliefs. Which is funny because with his mouth he says the thing that would sound “spiritually correct” by saying things like “this is not a belief” or “don’t believe anything” or “we don’t have beliefs” and all this. In yet, all this, whether it’s understood or not is just a preacher preaching beliefs (regardless of whether or not he genuinely has experience directly the things he speaks of or not - and much of what he speaks of he downright has not experienced). He tends to put also out a lot of conspiracy theories that, I imagine, if he were challenged, he would just play this defense of calling out for “egoic delusion” or “oh you that’s just a reflection of your own beliefs” and all this. 

Any time a spiritual teacher tells you they don’t have beliefs, RUN. I’ve spiritual teacher I’ve met worth their salt including people like Peter Ralston have openly said “of course I still have beliefs”. The difference is their disposition towards beliefs. Shunya, as far as I’m concerned lacks integrity in this area. He says one thing with his and does something else his with his actions. This creates problems as it’s a performative contradiction. Or, to be blunt, it’s lying. 

Even regarding the Yugas, which, personally, I’m open to that possibility, many different masters of yoga say different things regarding which period we’re in and call out delusion for those don’t see it the way they do which is rather odd, to say the least.

He creates a distorted reality bubble assuming we come from a high culture from the past which devolved over the centuries and will culminate in the apocalypse followed by the next Sat Yuga, claiming society was never less unfree than today.

24 minutes ago, yannick said:

a high culture from the past

I would like to know exactly which date this high culture existed in. -1000? Nope. -2000? Nope. -5000? Nope

By all measures today is the best time to be alive since the last 5000 years.

To call the last 5000 years of human evolution a mistake is a huge mistake.

Shunya is wise, but he is not wiser than 5000 years of human evolution.

He can barely maintain his little commune of 20 people. And yet he thinks he knows how to restructure the world.

He has zero enlightened students in his Ashram yet claims that the sangha is chosen to enlighten the world. Speaking of a good old fashion bullshit story..

Have you seen this?
https://www.satyoga.exposed/anonymous6

I just spent a good while reading what's on the website and the account I've linked above. It explains a lot of subtle feelings and cues I have felt but couldn't quite yet understand. I had been diving into his teaching a lot last year, and I still like him, especially his guided meditations. But this is just showing me how much I still got to learn in understanding people.

We all gotta get our money somehow.

Some of us sell an online course. Others of us just straight up ask you for $50k :P

Like I said, even an enlightend master gotta survive. You think running a 100 hectacre commune in the rain forest is cheap? Someone's gotta pay for that shit.

How do you think Shunya acquired 100 hectares of prime rain forest?

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

We all gotta get our money somehow.

Some of us sell an online course. Others of us just straight up ask you for $50k :P

Like I said, even an enlightend master gotta survive. You think running a 100 hectacre commune in the rain forest is cheap? Someone's gotta pay for that shit.

How do you think Shunya acquired 100 hectares of prime rain forest?

Well yes, but do you think "he gotta survive" justifies (in a moral sense) the manipulation, the superiority behavior and the seeming ways in which he tries to pull people out of their lives so they serve him monetarily? So he can have a luxurious lifestyle and keep on milking people? It's not easy to see this kind of behavior for what it is when right in that same person there also shines truth, that's why this is shocking to me. Reading the accounts opens to me the possibility (taking his past into account as well), that this is really a cultish development, even though it might have crept in over the years and now he doesn't even see it.

Embodiment truly seems to be the hardest part, even for advanced sages who don't like to admit there is a lot of shadow work left. 

6 hours ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

which he tries to pull people out of their lives so they serve him monetarily? So he can have a luxurious lifestyle and keep on milking people?

It's much more complex than that.

He is genuinely hoping to help you awaken. But he's gonna live well as he does it ;)

He's not doing what he does "for the money". But money is needed to run a commune.

I stopped listening to Shunyamurti.  I actually read his book “The Transformational Imperative”.   He has created a grand narrative by mixing a lot of different theories including the psychobabble of Lacan.   His system reminds me of Scientology – you have to ascend levels of word salad (called knowledge) in order to reach enlightenment.  Theory keeps you perpetually trapped in the spinning left brain.   I am gravitating to simpler methods.  Being nice to my neighbor is now more valuable to me than studying theories.   Reclaim your power and be your own guru.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Wow so u say that we will be able to travel from one point of the world to the other in one day? How many horses would u need, that is impossible!

Wow so u say that all the information of the world will be available in 1 second? How many pages that book must have, that is impossible!

Wow so u say that the world is going through a mass awakening? How sleep people are, that is impossible!

You would be very very much surprised how fast things are changing and will continue to in the next decades. Not trying to convince anyone or saying any statement, just be aware that it could happen, it's a possibility. At this time in earth there has been an inmense incarnation of very advanced souls. In this forum, for a reason, there is no connection at all with the spiritual realm or with higher conciousneness beings, it seems like is all bullshit and I totally respect it. However if u tapped and connected with them, who have a much spacious understanding, they would directly tell you about all this, if u are really that interested. Yet, there is no need for you to do anything. Everything is going in it's natural procces just relax and enjoy the ride. Time will tell, everyone will be answered that is the best thing.

(Btw, all apocalypse theories were introducied to actually stop the procces of entering a new concious humanity lol. What would be the best way to stop an inevitable mass awakening? Saying that it will came by intense suffering thus creating incredible amounts of fear and anxiety. It's a trap so easy to see, yet most people fall. And as Leo said for any self-actualization or spirituality to flourish you need much peace, otherwise is imposible: survival is no joke.)