Husseinisdoingfine

Why is it that yogi's have beards?

29 posts in this topic

Why is it that every seriously spiritually involved people all have beards? Why is it that those who find the greater truths don't take the time to lather up with shaving cream every morning and drag a sharp steel blade down their face, rinse with hot water, and apply aftershave?

Why do all spiritual new age people have beards? 

Wikipedia: 

The wise old man (also called senex, sage or sophos) is an archetype as described by Carl Jung, as well as a classic literary figure, and may be seen as a stock character.[1] The wise old man can be a profound philosopher distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment.

--

I don't know apart from that. Wouldn't wanna assume but maybe as a way of preserving tradition? 

But they certainly embody the wise old man archetype. 

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Husseinisdoingfine what I love about hair in general is that it's a reminder that you're nature just like how trees grow leaves. 

In a way, it reminds you that you're a human tree. The intelligence that grows your hair grows all things. 

" ..." 

-The Buddha

Cause they are too poor to afford Gillette ;)

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

It's tradition. 

They want to feel natural. 

It's a big deal to them. 

But right now my head is in the clouds with a Capricorn male  currently ruling my heart. The Snake seduces the peacock, embodies Shiva and the Gods bow to it. ... ll ॐ ll.. INTP loner... और तुम नाचते गाते हुए मेरे कदमों में आ गिरेगी... Live a Roman.Die a Roman..... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream 

Preety preety

3 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Why is it that every seriously spiritually involved people all have beards? Why is it that those who find the greater truths don't take the time to lather up with shaving cream every morning and drag a sharp steel blade down their face, rinse with hot water, and apply aftershave?

Why do all spiritual new age people have beards? 

tolle, spira etc. don't have beards

i think indian yogis for example just want to look like indian yogis, that's why the have a beard and those clothes

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Cause they are too poor to afford Gillette ;)

But what about the rich yogis like Sadghuru

P.S. I do want to see Sadghuru in a Gillette commercial

I remember someone asking sadhguru this question and he answered with the question why do you cut your beard? 

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train...

17 minutes ago, acidgoofy said:

I remember someone asking sadhguru this question and he answered with the question why do you cut your beard? 

Not sure if it was Sadhguru (but I think so), that said nature/the divine decides the size of your beard and if you cut it, you interfere. Not that that is bad, just that it is not what nature planned for you.

1 hour ago, Persipnei said:

Not sure if it was Sadhguru (but I think so), that said nature/the divine decides the size of your beard and if you cut it, you interfere. Not that that is bad, just that it is not what nature planned for you.

So he is okay with cutting his nails , piercing his ears , wearing "unnatural" dresses , cutting his hair ,  but he is not okay with cutting his beard because it is unnatural!?

Lol sure. 

or he just wants to look like a guru.

Edited by toocrazytobecrazy

It's because of such quality content I find here that I do not indulge in Netflix nowadays. Is this what people call high conscious entertainment? 

I don't have a general answer, but for me, it is a combination of aesthetics (just naturally like beards) and the fact that I associate it with a lifestyle that is closer to nature. I haven't investigated why that is precisely, but for me it just feels good to have that manifestation of something that is associated with living in the woods.

Edited by Kundalini Cataclysm

19 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

But what about the rich yogis like Sadghuru

He could afford a Gilette but if the audience knew he has money for that they'd start complaining about the price of his courses.

No Sadhguru said he doesn't see a reason to cut his beard when it's completely natural. He also says that once the beard is long enough and doesn't grow as much, your body can preserve the nutrients it'd use to build the hair.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

Honestly, they probably just enjoy how they look/feel with their beard. Theres no real deep reason you can only come up with your own ideas. 

" ..." 

-The Buddha

A lot of projecting is happening here. 

@toocrazytobecrazy

Why do people cut their hair and shave their beards? Because they want to be fashionable and increase their chances of reproduction.
A mystic has no concerns about reproduction, maybe he wants to look "normal" to atract disciples.

So, no need to cut of your hair.

Nails, etc. have practical implications I guess.

Hair is an extension to the nervous system, its like growing roots deeper into the earth, your natural senses become more intimate and in tune with the earth and its energies, you can sense things much sooner, you become more emotionally stable, you absorb sunlight/vitamin D and nutrients more efficiently, you receive cosmic energies in a more balanced and efficient way ect.. there is much information on this.

Ha, what a fun and strangely valuable topic. Enlightened selfless blissful laziness is the short answer, lol! "How does my hair/beard look?, is an egoic concern of vanity. The man of spirit often sports a full beard simply because he does not much care how he looks and he has far better things to do, even if he appears to do nothing, than shave. This naturally gives rise to a long full beard.

It was my practice for just a couple years to cut my hair only once a year, fully shaving head and face each May, and letting a mane of various lengths grow in. My current employer frowns on long-haired-hippie-lion looking people so those days are done. I highly recommend it as an ego fracturing practice. Most of the year you look like somebody who really needs a barber and this is actually useful in realizing you are nobody who really needs a barber ?