Danioover9000

Should education teach self-defense?

48 posts in this topic

Nah man I am super triggered because of that China 1984 BS

I wish I was yellow and be like: -'' Oh that's their system who am I to judge''

Edited by Arcangelo
Yellow

I mislike that the martial arts programs would not service kids in special education, increasing the disparity between these kids and the kids in general education. You'd barely see students who are physically and mentally capable ( with some extra help) get serviced, even if they are lagging behind just a little. No, they'd largely be dumped in with the physically disabled populations, and those populations maybe feel that much worse for not being able to participate.

You can to an extent create programs specifically for kids in special education, yet that is a tricky road to follow. What I am saying is to consider all parts of the education system, not just general education.

Otherwise, yeah, it's a good idea.

@Talinn

On 12/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, Talinn said:

I mislike that the martial arts programs would not service kids in special education, increasing the disparity between these kids and the kids in general education. You'd barely see students who are physically and mentally capable ( with some extra help) get serviced, even if they are lagging behind just a little. No, they'd largely be dumped in with the physically disabled populations, and those populations maybe feel that much worse for not being able to participate.

You can to an extent create programs specifically for kids in special education, yet that is a tricky road to follow. What I am saying is to consider all parts of the education system, not just general education.

Yes, change is not only complex, but long term adjusting within the systems is needed.

@Talinn

On 12/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, Talinn said:

The below video might also be useful for lectures in school:

This is a great video on karate, as a complete self defense system before America, modern competitions and fake martial arts teachers watered it down:

Also, to silence the people who debate MMA vs self defense, or MMA vs JKD:

https://youtu.be/FEK0iGeofvQ

They taught self-defence at my school in year 10.

Really informative stuff; how to defend against a knife, how to stop someone from attacking you whilst giving yourself time to run away. 

@Mada_

On 07/01/2021 at 8:37 AM, Mada_ said:

They taught self-defence at my school in year 10.

Really informative stuff; how to defend against a knife, how to stop someone from attacking you whilst giving yourself time to run away. 

It's good that the education you were at did teach you some self defense. I wish cureent education programs teach some eelf defense while helping develop body awareness as well.