Rilles

Benefits From Body Awareness Meditation?

14 posts in this topic

Im famiiar with regular old meditation but I feel like its too "in my head". Im planning to embark on a journey to discover my body through body scanning for about a year, like a daily experiment. Is anyone very familiar with this particular type of meditation? What are the benefits? Thanks.  

Dont look at me! Look inside!

If you have the booklist read the book about physiology. It's a great read. 

Everytime you practice this you get more grounded. Tolle says that feeling the inner body is very important. I have some experience practicing this and i would say the most important thing is to practice this as often as possible all the time. 

10 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

If you have the booklist read the book about physiology. It's a great read. 

Everytime you practice this you get more grounded. Tolle says that feeling the inner body is very important. I have some experience practicing this and i would say the most important thing is to practice this as often as possible all the time. 

Thats what I like to hear! Awesome! I will definitely check out the book! Thanks, man!

I think you can start by trying to being aware of each breath of yours during the whole day, then moving to being aware of blinking and after that your heart beat. Learning conscious sleep could also help.

....That said. I haven't actually done any of those lol. But through intuition I know it is possible and helpful. I'll be practicing to do it too.

:) it's one of the best books i ever read! But reading it just one time is not enough. I need to reread it. 

10 minutes ago, Swarnim said:

I think you can start by trying to being aware of each breath of yours during the whole day, then moving to being aware of blinking and after that your heart beat. Learning conscious sleep could also help.

Nah, Im looking for getting back into my body. My awareness of my body is very spotty, Im numb all over. Thanks though.

15 hours ago, Rilles said:

Nah, Im looking for getting back into my body. My awareness of my body is very spotty, Im numb all over. Thanks though.

If you are looking to get back into your body, I don’t think body scans are the best thing, maybe some kind of yoga? You need to connect awareness with body, rather than observing body, which will create more separation. 

From my my limited experience, body scans made my awareness feel distinct from the body, unless there is a nondualistic way of body scanning,

Go to a local 10 day Vipassana retreat where you learn the body scanning technique.

5 hours ago, Spaceofawareness said:

If you are looking to get back into your body, I don’t think body scans are the best thing, maybe some kind of yoga? You need to connect awareness with body, rather than observing body, which will create more separation. 

Yep, there is some truth to that. Awareness of the body is cool, but in order to discover it deeply, you need to delve into it, rather than just observe it.

What are the benefits of opening the body? For once, you find yourself fearlessly on the Ground. You own your body, you care for it, you love it, and so you also love all of your darkness and pain, and also the darkness and pain of all of humanity. You start healing stuff that you had no idea was there. You finally fucking face the pain of life. You start realizing that the body is a direct connection to the wisdom of the Ground, you basically become psychic. And perhaps most importantly, since you now know your body, know your pain, know your vulnerability, you can stand compassionately in the face of other people displaying these traits. You become a safe haven.

But the road goes through hell (and heaven)... :D 

Here is a something I wrote about entering the body:

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

8 hours ago, Spaceofawareness said:

From my my limited experience, body scans made my awareness feel distinct from the body, unless there is a nondualistic way of body scanning,

Yeah... I want the full monty... Maybe I'll look into some yoga.

2 hours ago, okulele said:

Yep, there is some truth to that. Awareness of the body is cool, but in order to discover it deeply, you need to delve into it, rather than just observe it.

What are the benefits of opening the body? For once, you find yourself fearlessly on the Ground. You own your body, you care for it, you love it, and so you also love all of your darkness and pain, and also the darkness and pain of all of humanity. You start healing stuff that you had no idea was there. You finally fucking face the pain of life. You start realizing that the body is a direct connection to the wisdom of the Ground, you basically become psychic. And perhaps most importantly, since you now know your body, know your pain, know your vulnerability, you can stand compassionately in the face of other people displaying these traits. You become a safe haven.

But the road goes through hell (and heaven)... :D 

Here is a something I wrote about entering the body:

Sounds like what Im looking for! Thanks!

its super important bro

over time the distinction between normal meditation and body awareness lessens

the perception of the body is mind after all so how is that different than thoughts?

the sensations, feelings, etc..., is no different than a thought in a your head.