Surrender to thoughts

18 posts in this topic

If I surrender to thoughts, that doesn’t mean I stop having internal conversation? It’s ironic because I’m surrendered but there are thoughts that don’t surrender. A conversation occurs and it is thought. Internal debate. Surrender, what is it really? Can you really surrender? Seeking advice.

It depends what you mean by “surrender” to thoughts. To me, that suggests letting go of trying to stop thoughts. 

I would consider what the intention and goal is. Is the intention to calm the mind and reduce thoughts? Is the intention to have thoughts be more harmonious? Is the intention to have greater detached awareness of thinking? Is the intention to have thinking be more in the background of awareness?

10 minutes ago, 73809 said:

If I surrender to thoughts, that doesn’t mean I stop having internal conversation? It’s ironic because I’m surrendered but there are thoughts that don’t surrender. 

If I surrender to the dog barking outside, does the dog stop barking? 

1 hour ago, 73809 said:

If I surrender to thoughts, that doesn’t mean I stop having internal conversation? It’s ironic because I’m surrendered but there are thoughts that don’t surrender. A conversation occurs and it is thought. Internal debate. Surrender, what is it really? Can you really surrender? Seeking advice.

When you stop identifying with these thoughts and giving them energy and attention, they die down drastically.

But it's not the thoughts that really need to die down.... it's the recognition there is no one thinking them, they just arise and are either identified with and given energy or not. ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I think, thoughts without emotions are compleeeeetely ok. If the thoughts notice that they dont´t strike any emotion, they piss off. Because.. what´s the point? I´d say all that unwanted thoughts, they come for your emotions. Thought without emotions are ok, emotions without thoughts are great. But this mix together: thoughts AND emotions is a poison. 

What does it mean to surrender? As in, surrender to what is. 

Surrender the attachment to your thoughts. They are not you.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@73809

You want to start with observing your thoughts. That's because at this point, your thoughts are deeply unconscious and automatic. So you have to bring awareness to that.

Eventually, your mind will start to silence. You'll think a lot less and when you do think, it will feel more intentional.

@73809 Don't surrender TO thoughts. Surrender thoughts. Big difference.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@73809 there is no you. No one is there to do it.

Take a look at your mind. No one is there thinking thoughts and separate from them. It's fucked up how the mind works. The truth is "you" can't do anything. Cuz there isn't any "you" in the middle of it all. 

When we say "surrender to xyz".. The assumption is there is a "you" that "should" or "can" do the surrender.. Which ofcourse there isn't. Surrendering to thoughts vs resistance is itself a thought. 

You can take a look at your mind and verify what I'm talking about. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

22 minutes ago, 73809 said:

What does it mean to surrender? As in, surrender to what is. 

If there is a surrender to what is, it doesn’t matter if thoughts arise or not since thoughts are what is just like bird chirps are what is.

To me, it seems like there is a desire to reduce the frequency, intensity and impact of thinking. That seems reasonable, especially if over-thinking is causing distress to the mind and body. 

I’ve found it helpful to be aware of my desires. If my mind won’t shut up and it‘s causing me serious distress - I’m going to have a desire to reduce that impact. Once I acknowledge that, I can start setting genuine intentions and developing practices that relax the mind and the frequency/intensity/impact of thinking. This allows things like letting go and law of attraction. 

Recently, I realized I was way too immersed into conceptualization and thoughts. There was a desire to reduce the intensity and re-balance my mind/body/spirit. A desire to give my thinking mind a break and experience reality in a new way in which emotions, intuition, sensations and thoughts are more aligned and in harmony. I only want to stop thinking when it’s unpleasant. When thoughts are dancing with creativity, emotions, energetics - I love it. 

2 hours ago, Forestluv said:

I only want to stop thinking when it’s unpleasant. When thoughts are dancing with creativity, emotions, energetics - I love it. 

Nothing other than conditioned thinking judges thoughts as pleasant or unpleasant.

There already isn't an I thinking thoughts.

When this is recognized or seen deeply, so called positive and negative thoughts and emotions are equal.

This is the liberation ❤

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

11 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Nothing other than conditioned thinking judges thoughts as pleasant or unpleasant.

When this is recognized or seen deeply, so called positive and negative thoughts and emotions are equal.

This is the liberation ❤

Sure, that’s one way to relate. I was referring to another way of relating. 

There’s ZERO surrendering that needs to occur, just sinking into awareness and a heightening of awareness the is. All preconceptions about surrendering is what you need to get rid of, be aware, be only the awareness, and your transmutation shall begin. Better yet don’t try to get rid of anything, just be aware and become more aware through only awarensss.

Edited by Origins

3 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Sure, that’s one way to relate. I was referring to another way of relating. 

Call it anything...but

Only a habitual identification with a conditioned thought was referring to another way of relating.

That's what occurred whether or not another conditioned thought agrees or not. ❤

Edited by VeganAwake

12 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Call it anything...but

Only a habitual identification with a conditioned thought was referring to another way of relating.

That's what occurred whether or not another conditioned thought agrees or not. 

Sure, that is a great point. As well, a position declared as a position is not another position. Yet all positions within that position are within that position. There is a balance between attention and awareness. Yet of course, this itself is a position and can be dismissed as such. 

12 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

This assumes that a habitual identification with a conditioned thought was referring to another way of relating. This is true within it’s truth. The term “only” restricts within that truth - which of course is true within it’s truth. Yet hyper attention on this internal truth comes at the expense of awareness peripheral to that truth. 

@Leo Gura How do you deal with reading victim mentality comments from users,  without regressing mentally and emotionally to the same place as them?

14 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

This is the liberation ❤

11 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Call it anything...but

That's what occurred whether or not another conditioned thought agrees or not. ❤

Good ones, I like 'em very much.

Surrender = two sides becoming one.

One dominates, and the other submits.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey