Husseinisdoingfine

How to meditate for those with long legs?

15 posts in this topic

I feeling rather ballsey and decided to up my meditation time to three hours, and I couldn't do it as my legs hurted too much. I'm looking for an article or video maybe on how for us with longer than average length legs on how to sit. I currently do a burmese position but I don't think I'm doing it right.

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Try Balasana with your hands to the front.

Also, I dont think my legs are that high, I still get the hurt tho. 

I think if you breath in some way then your leg wont hurt at all. What way? Idk, depends on you. Gotta find it yourself. I remember my legs hurting like hell, but then I breathed in some particular way and it's like all the blood just flew back in. 

there are no positions to do meditation. IF you can't meditate standing up, walking around, talking with people, or playing a sport, how can you expect to meditate sitting down closing your eyes. Just sit anywhere, lie the fuck down, positions don't matter. Every basketball player has different play styles forms of shooting, if not they are impostors pretending to be something else, so stop caring about positions and just do it! 

closedness or the opening of your eyes does not dictate whether one can do meditation. Nor is sitting down or standing up. 

You can meditate in full lotus position or while shitting in the toilet, what matters is how mindful you are of the present moment.

Don't sit longer than 1 hour for a single session.

and Quality over quantity. You might be better with only 2 hours/day.

don't really recommend back support. pain is a part of meditation. your tolerance will increase as you practice but it shouldn't be unbearable. That said back support is for worms.

Edited by AdamDiC

back support, legs on the ground, maybe on a couch

the only purpose of the lotus position is to keep you from falling asleep, but back when it was created people were more flexible

try to be not too relaxed, nor too agitated, that is the perfect position for you

Edited by Michal__

i always just sat upright in a chair.

I also always preffered shorter 45-60 min quality sessions vs longer ones.

would recommend sofa, you can use sofa  if you are really want to go deeper, and if you do not have such sofa like this, alternative you can buy zafu cushion and  use one thin pillow below the leg which get numb!

16075831533835811473137168632486.jpg

I have long legs so I don't sit on the floor much, I sit on a chair with a pillow for back support. 

Or a chair that's heavy/big like the one above. 

(It's not necessary to sit in lotus position especially if you don't want, many people sit on a chair.) 

Create your own life system. 

Preety preety

And then my dear, you can take a bath in suds. 

If you don't have problems with dullness, you can even meditate laying down

A middle ground is just sitting in a chair 

"A couple of glasses of red wine a night slows my brain down and lets me get into the 'vegetative' state suitable for TV viewing. Combined with SSRI it works well in letting me achieve a 'normal' life."   

-- Random Redditor

I too sit in the burmanese position, and I've got long legs, if that matters much I have no idea, I've never had any other legs than these ones xD

I'm quite sensitive to the "pivot" angle between upper body and legs and when that angle gets closer towards a perpendicular angle my joints start aching quite a lot some time after sitting for an hour+. Experimenting with the angle significantly eases the pressure on the joints and at the same time reduces the muscular effort needed to keep the upper body vertical. Finding the right angle completely removed the ache for me.

Scribbled an image to better visualize what I mean. The wedge is a meditation cushion or other contraption that offer good support for the butt and thighs.

meditationposition.jpg

Edited by Eph75

@AdamDiC I don't believe in the pain is meditation dogma... It's only painful because you are so alseep for so long you haven't taken proper care of your body and when you sit you notice just the tip.

It's just turtles all the way down.