Barbara

Thoughts on dropping out of college

38 posts in this topic

@Kalki Avatar Hey, congrats to you! 
Having a financially comfortable position before LP is one way, yes, but I feel like I can totally do my LP now and figure that out later. But that's only because I'm in a position that I can actually afford to figure it out later. So that would work for me. And I know that there's nothing wrong with not pursuing your lp, but why wouldn't you do it when that's what you want?

I know people that were in a very similar situation than yours. One of them had 1 year and a half left and completed it with no regret, while still on that year and a half thought about his LP and then completely changed career. 

You probably will not regret taking a few more months of college to graduate. You'll be satisfied with it when you get it, even if you don't care so much about it. Also a degree might help you looking for a job if your LP will require you to save some money with regular 9 to 5 job, and we law there are plenty out there. A degree might also be in your scenario a safe net to come back to if you'll have some sort of financial crises or if you find that you need to change LP again.

I wish you the best.

In Portugal, you can do everything with law basically. It gives you a lot a lot of opportunities. From finance, to RH, to law departments ofc, to administrative positions, you name it. @Etherial Cat @Corpus But that's if you want to be hired from a company or employer. I'm not interested in that tho. I promised myself to not sign a work contract next years. 

16 hours ago, Etherial Cat said:

law degree comes off as handy for the rest of your life. It's a beautiful subject which gives you the resources to protect yourself in various situation and leverage the power of the state to do so if necessary. The knowledge is frankly quite valuable. Whether it is to fill your taxes, fight off with the administration, surveilling remotely the functioning of your state or just crafting a contract with a customer, being a full stack jurist comes off as handy in daily life. 

That is true and I don't regret it. It's a skill that I've learned, but 4 years to learn how to fill my taxes is too much :P
Thank you for the time!
Best wishes for both

16 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Yeah, but obviously, just because it has a name doesn't mean it's bad.

It just means it's a fallacy and I want to ground myself in that so I don't make the mistake of falling for it. 

16 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Unless you're suffering, you can think of it as a challenge and an opportunity to grow. Right now, you're experiencing lack of motivation, and this may occur to you while you're pursuing your LP, so you better be prepared. You may benefit from training now with your dummy degree. You can develop and sculpt your motivation and discipline for 7 whole months. That ought to make you more prepared to face any challenges that may come up later.

Yes, I've got the same approach. It's a challenge, but I kinda like that part. Helps me to know myself better. 
Warm regards

If I were in your position I would finish it. You're almost there!

If you already know your purpose it's gonna be there in 7 months but you won't get the opportunity to finish your degree again. You're 21, 7 months is like nothing if you plan to live 70+ years

@docs20 Well, that is true. Ain't gonna regret finishing it. Thanks for that! Best wishes to you too 

It feels like by reading your posts that inside you have a strong urge to drop out. Personally, I would recommend completing your degree, but sometimes there comes a decision which you have a gut feeling about. In such cases, you know what decision you have to make, but you can't justify it. Now only you know what position are you in and thus can make the best decision. So I would suggest that if you're unclear, give yourself time, as much time as is possible. Our minds have a magical tendency to sort things out with time. And go with your gut feeling

@Sahil Asthana I do feel the urge to quit.. But yes, time is magical. Many thanks!

@d0ornokey  I appreciate so much that you shared! I do understand what you saying. I feel that other people's reaction is the biggest crippling fear for me in all of this, since everyone around me thinks that there's no other way than college. But then again, I start thinking I'm only staying for the sake of others and that only makes me wanna quit more.

I'm really glad it turned out great for you. Thank you for taking the time. I wish you all the best

@Barbara

As much as I dislike the current university system, I would probably advise you to finish the degree. With an added disclaimer that I cannot truly possibly know what's best for you.

I personally dropped out of college with less than a year to go. I wouldn't say I regret it, because regrets are basically worthless as far as I can tell. I'm very happy with who I've become, despite college. And who can really say if things would be any better had I finished?

But, in hindsight, if i look at it objectively, "in a vacuum" so to speak, I think the smart play would have been to finish. Even if you don't plan on practicing law, having a law degree is a very powerful asset in this modern world.

That being said, you'll be fine either way.

Things have a way of working out.

=]  <3

Hey so kind! Thank you. 

Could I ask you what did you do after? If it’s very personal please be comfortable with refusing to answer :) 

I actually feel the that. That I’ll be fine either way. 

Appreciate your words, 

Warm regards 

My brother is going with cinema after he started studying psychology + was about to go into law. 
My advice is stop thinking just be, follow god’s will and meditate to get inspiration will help Much love ❤️ Namaste Sista ?? 

11 hours ago, Barbara said:

Hey so kind! Thank you. 

Could I ask you what did you do after? If it’s very personal please be comfortable with refusing to answer :) 

I actually feel the that. That I’ll be fine either way. 

Appreciate your words, 

Warm regards 

After leaving university, I traveled a lot. I went to Australia, the Philippines, Belize, and then road-tripped around the USA for 2 years. Now I work for a small company that sells private jets.

=]  <3