retardedhorse1

Concentration Vs Mindfullness Meditation?

5 posts in this topic

Hey,

so ive been doing all of leos meditations for the past 2 months or so.

While ive had some great experiences, letting your attention wander wherever it wants can be  kinda confusing at times and letting go can sometimes be quite a struggle.

This kind of meditation seems pretty different from the "classical" ones where you focus specifically on one thing like your breath, a sound etc etc.

The second seems more like an concentration meditation to me, even tho they are both regarded as mindfullness medidation.

So im a little confused here.

Where exactly is the difference and why does leo pretty much ignore the second type? (from what i can tell at least)

It sounds to me like the first technique you mentioned was the do-nothing technique; that would not be mindfulness meditation then. Mindfulness meditation often involves the focussing of attention on things happening in ones present experience, mostly being the breath, bodily sensations and sounds, but can also involve paying attention to ones emotions and where they lay in the body and mind, as well as ones own thoughts. The only time I know of where you wouldn't be using concentration on one specific aspect of experience in mindfulness meditation would be when you simply be aware of all those things I mentioned at once, but you are still manipulating where your attention is being put, so if there's no amount of concentration being used, then it's not mindfulness meditation.

Ahh okay, ive mainly been doing his latest guided meditation "the next level of meditation", where he emphasizes to not manipulate anything.

Hm, i just did some meditation by focusing on a specific sound and it was awesome.

@retardedhorse1 The first one is the do-nothing technique. This is where you allow your mind to wander wherever it wants to go, but don't manipulate it, just watch it. 

The second one is named something like "active detachment." This is where you have thoughts pop up, notice them, and let them go.

The third is mindfulness meditation. This is where your focus on awareness. All of your sensory perception and thoughts. Focus on the medium in which they all converge.

Edited by comp13

Do nothing is dropping all voluntary control of mind and awareness.

Concentration meditation is concentrating on a phenomena.

Mindfulness meditation is making distinctions in phenomena.