Gneh Onebar

Adeptus Psychonautica about Connor Murphy and Actualized

196 posts in this topic

"Connor Murphy is a YouTuber famous for making videos where he takes his shirt off, but recently he has dipped into the world of psychedelics, and has now reinvented himself as a spiritual guru. Connor now claims to be God (as in the Christian god, as well as ALL other gods) and has a definitive understanding of how the universe works, along with a plan for evolving humanity into a race of enlightened super-beings. Most of this he has picked up from his idol, Leo Gura at Actualized.org, who strangely doesn't seem too happy about Connor parroting his own ideology back at him. Needless to say I think Connor Murphy has taken a little bit too much, and should probably chill a bit with psychedelics."

Why do even expierenced Psychonauts have a 'problem' with being God? ;) 

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

6 hours ago, Gneh Onebar said:

Most of this he has picked up from his idol, Leo Gura at Actualized.org, who strangely doesn't seem too happy about Connor parroting his own ideology back at him.

Interesting framing.

So if I supported Connor Murphy, I would be a monster enabling a false god. And if I say that he's going down the road of Zen devilry, then it is "strange" and I'm also to blame for creating him. Even though I have an entire video explaining the dangers of Zen devilry.

Heads I win, tails you lose.

My teachings are not an ideology and being God is not an ideology. I have no idea what Connor Murphy is doing and I have never endorsed whatever he's doing. Until a few weeks ago, I had no idea he even watches me. And just cause he watches a few of my videos means nor says nothing. You have no idea who else he might be following, what books he might be reading, etc.

It's also not a good idea to judge Connor's psychological state too much. He's clearly going through a spiritual process, which he is recording live, so of course it will not look stable or "proper" the way that people expect.

Keep in mind, if Eckhart Tolle live-streamed his awakening as it happened, everyone would be saying that Tolle has lost his mind and needs professional help. There's no reason why Connor cannot stabilize and become a solid teacher some years down the road once he gets some of the Zen devilry out of his system.

Nobody is born as a solid spiritual master. You become a master by going through decades of trail and error and spiritual mistakes.

Judging Connor's process is not very wise. Let the man go through whatever he needs to go through. Connor is recording the actual process of waking up. It's a brutal process. I experience similar pushback from people when I release raw, unedited videos of my process. Any deviation from propriety is ridiculed and judged. People expect you to be like Eckhart Tolle or Sadhguru, all happy and calm. Which is a joke.

Which is why I have no interest any more in releasing raw, honest footage of my own process. People will just ridicule it and not understand. People don't want raw honesty, they want fake spiritual perfection.

As far as the theatrics, gimmickry, and business schemes that Connor engages in -- none of that aligns with my teachings.

Also, I should say, this Adeptus guy is strawmanning the shit out of my spiritual realizations. I have never claimed to be any kind of messiah nor have I ever claimed that I can heal all of mankind through miracles. His portrayal of my insights is basically slander.

Everything I said in my spiritual videos is still true:

• I am God (but so are you)
  • I have been more conscious than most spiritual teachers or gurus
  • Psychic abilities are real
  • Healing is real and possible, although of course it is not a power the ego controls and it will not magically heal the whole world. When I spoke about these powers I clearly said this is still something I'm exploring and struggling to develop.

These claims are not so crazy. Any serious spiritual practitioner understands that claims #1, #3, and #4 are obviously correct. They might dispute claim #2, but, oh well, that's just a common spiritual dispute that every spiritual person has at some point.

I have not backtracked on any "psychic superpower nonsense" because siddhis are not nonsense -- they are a well-known aspect of spiritual work which has existed among serious spiritual practitioners since the dawn of time. What's nonsense is Adeptus' absurd strawmanning of a guy who mentions siddhis. That is coming from a place of arrogance,  ignorance, and closedmindedness. I have in fact NEVER claimed to have supernatural powers. But I know people who do and I know they can be developed by certain people (not even necessarily me). My work and teachings have NEVER been about supernatural powers or showing off in the manner of Connor Murphy.

Adeptus misunderstand what happened with me. It's not that I backed off of anything I said. It's simply that when I said those things I discovered states of consciousness that virtually no human has ever accessed and I said things in a raw fashion as part of showing people the raw work that I was in the middle of doing. But when I show raw work like that, people now expect me to be unhinged forever, but of course, in fact I'm very well grounded and they are shocked when they see me come back the next week or month and record very grounded videos, taking this to mean that I'm contradicting myself when in fact I've just integrated the raw realizations from before -- as you're supposed to do.

The thing to understand is this: When I show a video of a raw awakening or a post-retreat debrief, I'm not in a fully grounded state (of course), and this is shown to the viewer specifically to give you a taste of what this work feels like because otherwise the viewer gets the false impression that this work is always grounded and that I am some stoic, emotionless, autistic robot. Out of 300+ of my grounded videos, Adeptus cherrypicks 2 raw live awakening videos and a pre-retreat and post-retreat video that came after an intense 30 straight days of 5-MeO-DMT, to demonize my entire teaching and build his biased narrative. Watch the other 300+ videos for context. And if you dare, let's see how your first video will look after 30 straight days of 5-MeO-DMT breakthroughs. I'll bet you'll be a bit emotional and glowing with insight. I sacrificed myself for the sake of psychedelic science and this is the shit I get from my fellow psychonaut? Not only do I get shit from non-psychonauts about this non-stop, now I have to deal with shit from psychonauts too?

Adeptus, if you read this, please stop with your whiteknight routine. I know you mean well, but you're getting carried away with your good-guy act and you are unwittingly slandering my work. My work is more grounded than your rants, so please spare me the outrage. Connor Murphy is his own man and I am not responsible for whatever zany shit he decides to do. I will however email Connor and try to have a talk with him about the dangers of presenting these ideas to the public so that awakening, psychedelics, and "I am God" are not mis-perceived by the public. I very much care about that. Whether he will even listen to me is questionable. I am not his daddy and to frame me that way is irresponsible in and of itself. This guy is a total stranger to me. He's not any kind of formal student of mine. What you're doing is akin to someone watching your YouTube videos about psychedelics, taking a massive dose of 1000ug LSD, jumping out the window, killing himself, and then people blaming you for it because, hey, Adeptus told him that psychedelics are good, despite all the warnings you issued. That's exactly what you're doing to me in the name of playing a whiteknight with your moral outrage. Excuse me, but who died and made you the Pope of psychedelics? Just because someone has a different process than you with psychedelics that you disagree with does not make you right nor does it give you the moral high ground to judge them for it. You don't like me enjoying 5-MeO-DMT in a bathtub? You think that's dangerous? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. You have no clue of my actual situation when I did that.

Psychedelics are dangerous. Spiritual work is dangerous. I've always said that. In the hands of a fool psychedelics and/or spiritual work can get you killed. But the Truth is the Truth regardless. The Truth is, psychedelics can show you that you are God. And it doesn't matter how many people get killed, the Truth will always remain the Truth.

Also: Connor Murphy was NOT banned from the forum. Some of his posts were so self-promotional (promoting donations to his Patreon account) that our good Mods were right to moderate some of it. He is still free to post here and he has not contacted me personally for advice. If he did, I would gladly offer it. But I would never presume to go around telling another teacher or YouTuber how to run his business. I didn't give Connor advice because I didn't feel he would be receptive to it.

All of the above is so obvious that I hardly feel it needs to be stated. I have never felt a need to state it until now, but now I'm forced to state it because clearly people like Adeptus got some really wrong ideas about my teachings and how spiritual development works and now I feel I have to publicly correct this slander and strawmanning. It's bad enough that my work is slandered by all sorts of ignorant noobs, materialists, and religious fundamentalists -- I expect that -- but when my work is slandered by a fellow psychonaut who should have a deep understanding of the trickeries of this work -- that leaves me disappointed. Since day one of my teachings I have always spoken out about the dangers and traps of psychedelics, spiritual work, ideology, cults, and self-deception. I have always steered people away from irresponsible use of psychedelics and Zen devilry.

The bottom line is this: give a man some room to spiritually develop without breathing down his neck and telling him everything he's doing wrong. That is, if you're truly compassionate and care about his development. But if you want to create sensational YouTube rant videos, I guess that's another matter. But if you care about truth, be careful how your mind constructs convenient narratives to explain away stuff like what's going on with Connor Murphy. The bottom line is that you have no idea what he's going through and what the right process is for him.

If you, Adeptus, ever want to correct the record, I'm more than happy to explain all this publicly with you. My work is grounded and it will always remain grounded and I will always condemn teachings and teachers which are ungrounded.

But of course, there truly is no ground ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I love this guy but despite all his psychedelic adventures it seems he hasn´t realized yet he is literally God

@Javfly33 he doesn't know shit.  He calls out these teachings and Leo as delusional BS at the 13 minute mark...for someone who claims to have experience with psychedelics its surprising to me.  The guy is still in realism obviously.

As for Connor he has probably had some legit awakenings from what I can tell.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Nobody is born as a solid spiritual master.

The_Child_aka_Baby_Yoda_(Star_Wars).jpg

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

8 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

I love this guy but despite all his psychedelic adventures it seems he hasn´t realized yet he is literally God

Huh? That’s exactly what’s he’s saying

4 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

for someone who claims to have experience with psychedelics its surprising to me.

Well the guy has indeed a lot of experience with psycedelics... and that's the reason why I don't understand, why claiming to be god (in an abolute sense) is such a big problem. Martin Ball also says, that in the end everything is god.

@Gneh Onebar Does the realization that he is god make him feel special? If so, it isn't a realization.

5 minutes ago, Moksha said:

@Gneh Onebar Does the realization that he is god make him feel special? If so, it isn't a realization.

Not sure about that (haven't seen a lot of his content), but I don't think so.

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Interesting framing.

So if I supported Connor Murphy, I would be a monster enabling a false god. And if I say that he's going down the road of Zen devilry, then it is "strange" and I'm also to blame.

Heads I win, tails you lose.

My teachings are not an ideology and being God is not an ideology. I have no idea what Connor Murphy is doing and I have never endorsed whatever he's doing.

It's also not a good idea to judge Connor's psychological state too much. He's clearly going through a spiritual process, which he is recording live, so of course it will not look stable or "proper" the way that people expect.

Keep in mind, if Eckhart Tolle live-streamed his awakening as it happened, everyone would be saying that Tolle has lost his mind and needs professional help. There's no reason why Connor cannot stabilize and become a solid teacher some years down the road once he gets some of the Zen devilry out of his system.

Nobody is born as a solid spiritual master. You become a master by going through decades of trail and error and spiritual mistakes.

Judging Connor's process is not very wise. Let the man go through whatever he needs to go through. Connor is recording the actual process of waking up. It's a brutal process. I experience similar pushback from people when I release raw, unedited videos of my process. Any deviation from propriety is ridiculed and judged. People expect you to be like Eckhart Tolle or Sadhguru, all happy and calm. Which is a joke.

Which is why I have no interest any more in releasing raw, honest footage of my own process. People will just ridicule it and not understand. People don't want raw honesty, they want fake spiritual perfection.

As far as the theatrics, gimmickry, and business schemes that Connor engages in -- none of that aligns with my teachings.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

20 minutes ago, Display_Name said:

Huh? That’s exactly what’s he’s saying

When does he says it? 

Just 3:15 Look what he says in that minute mark. Doesn´t sound as God to me.

36 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

True! However I like the raw material. ;) 

38 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

People expect you to be like Eckhart Tolle or Sadhguru, all happy and calm. Which is a joke.

I don't feel Tolle, Sadhguru, or Mooji are a joke. 

Edited by Moksha

1 minute ago, Moksha said:

he's saying the expectation to be happy and calm is a joke

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

1 minute ago, Moksha said:

I think he meant that some teachers may portray awakening as always and only a happy and calm process.  Awakening can in some cases really destabilize someone (because  of course the "someone" is completely removed or seen to never have been there in the first place haha) so its not all roses.  I'm not saying these teachers do portray it that way, i have not really listened to any of them much.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

5 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

I think he meant that some teachers may portray awakening as always and only a happy and calm process.  Awakening can in some cases really destabilize someone (because  of course the "someone" is completely removed or seen to never have been there in the first place haha) so its not all roses.  I'm not saying these teachers do portray it that way, i have not really listened to any of them much.

@Inliytened1 Honestly I was going to do a topic today about that. I had some no-self states where "I" would be totally at peace and yet the ego (basically my mouth) will start like going crazy. Like saying this like "Well i guess this means Im not alive ...haha!. Well let me go to the kitchen and get a knife!" And several "disturbing" reactions of the ego. It NEVER happened anything bad. Because deep down the ego is always in survival mode so it won´t hurt itself unless something has really been damaged. But this kind of reactions are so disturbing its hard to believe. The irony is that meanwhile the ego is trying to produce fear or whatever, "I" am completely gone and untouchable. LOL!.

The first time it happened to me was on Mdma and then I rationalize it thinking it was just because Mdma nulls your fear receptors (amigdala) and that was why I wasn´t experiencing fear while my ego was saying "disturbing things".

But then it has happened my sober so I´m way past the rationalizing it xD

7 minutes ago, Pookie said:

Maybe Islam can somewhat explain this. According to it, associating Allah's attributes with someone else (committing shirk) is the worst sin of all. I guess I can somewhat see where it's coming from. 

Hmmm... I get what you mean.

@Javfly33 ? i had some pretty bad ego backlash myself....  It took me  weeks before i could even function properly.   Of course i could have also just went and lived in a cave and meditated 24/7 and bliss out rather than going back to my job and society....;)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.