7thLetter

*POLL* Are you going to take a COVID-19 Vaccine?

*POLL*   225 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to take a COVID-19 Vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don’t know

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

89 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Consept said:

Really and truly if we're talking cold hard facts, the vaccine is very unlikely to be dangerous, if you look at all the trials that have been done, you do research, talk or listen to experts who have worked on the vaccines, it would be very hard to make an assertion that this is dangerous. The claim that its been rushed is not really valid as with previous vaccines most of the time to develop is just red tape and bureaucracy. 

This isnt to gaslight anyone with fears about it, but you really have to accept this is a fear born of ignorance on the subject. I get why there is distrust in the government but if we take all the history out of it and just look at is this vaccine going to be a net negative or positive youd have to say it will be a positive. Everyone that has been against measures like lockdown and masks, ultimately just want to be able to do what they want to do, thats fine but dont dress up selfishness as anything more than that.    

Have you made a thorough review of the entire process that each company is making to test the drug?  What about the manufacturing process of all of the sources? About a dozen or so drugs get pulled off the market per year because the risk they have outweighs the benefit.  Much of our lives we are living on faith because it would take too much time to investigate everything.  

When driving a car, we assume the car company was thorough during manufacturing, when hoping on a plane we are trusting boeing, we just the mechanics that maintain the plane, we trust the pilot didn't get wasted the previous night.  

You dont know for sure the vaccine is safe, but you believe its safe because you trust the source.  You are choosing to believe them over a conspiracy theorist or an anti-vax person.  If you were intellectually honest you could comfortably say that.  Being a medical doctor is not enough because they mostly trust the companies that sell them the drugs.  Even if you were in the industry that makes cancer drugs or something that is not directly related to the covid vaccine you are putting faith in your colleagues which is better than someone you dont know.  But still you are just appealing to hearsay or authority.

Personally I dont care enough to investigate nor do I want to spend 10 years of my life in the industry to know enough.. I have more important things in my life that I want to do but I am honest enough to admit my own powerlessness in all of this.  In both my lack of knowledge from direct experience and ultimately the lack of choice I may have in vaccinating myself.  

27 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

I need to see how it affects people with autoimmune and inflammatory diseases first,

As I said, I'll be one of the first to take the vaccine I suppose, since I'm in healthcare .

I also have MS which is autoimmune so I'll let ya know how it affects me, if at all. 

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Leo Gura

Some of my friends are quite afraid of it, thinking it is some kind of brainwash or something like that. So I told them I would take it first and if I die or go crazy then they will know. :D

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

My contact with people is so little I have not had it as much of a concern right now. I realize that we need to get most of the population to take it though. 

I am going to wait a bit, but I work from home and pick up groceries etc. 

Edited by Average Investor

While I don't like the idea of a government who I don't trust making everybody take a vaccine, I'm also more than ready for this shit to be over with. So if taking the vaccine is what it takes then most likely that's what I'll end up doing.

I think one factor that makes people hesitate, at least in my area, is that there have been relatively few deaths here and infection rates are mostly pretty low. Because of that most people around here don't see the virus itself as a serious problem, all they see are frustrating safety measures and governments infringing on their freedom (lots of libertarians around my neck of the woods) and that stuff is what they're really reacting to when they react against the vaccine.

People who are young and healthy are probably in the best condition to be unaffected by side effects anyway (if side effects even exist). And we'll also be among the last to have the option to receive the vaccine since the elderly and immune-compromised will be the highest priority. So by the time we have an opportunity to take it, enough other people will have already taken it that we'll be well aware of any potential issues that might come up.

Of course there's always the possibility of unknown long term side effects, but that's true of literally everything in life. Most common unhealthy habits (smoking, drinking, unhealthy diet, ect) surely cause thousands of times more side effects than any vaccine ever could but obviously that hasn't convinced most people to stop doing those things!

2 hours ago, Tanz said:

You dont know for sure the vaccine is safe, but you believe its safe because you trust the source.  You are choosing to believe them over a conspiracy theorist or an anti-vax person.  If you were intellectually honest you could comfortably say that.

This is the key part of what you said, yes to some extent it is faith in that you are trusting experts in virology and disease and medicine to tell you what the best thing is in this instance. Also yes they may not be right in all aspects, they may not understand holistically how to solve illnesses, as in they may not be aware of how diet and stress can affect someone. However vaccines have a long history, not all good of course, but for the most part theyve potentially saved millions of lives both from death and also from debilitating illnesses, this is well documented. So this process of developing vaccines has historically done a lot of good, with very minimal but some bad happening. Overall its a net positive, especially when you consider something like 500,000 people worldwide yearly were either paralysed or died from polio and now its next to zero (im aware its not just the vaccine that caused this, but modern medicine as a whole). 

So if it comes to trusting what professional scientists and medical people who have studied for years to understand vaccines and how to improve on them, and know all the ins and outs of the negatives and positives and who are willing to do thorough testing, backed up by an organisation which in theory does not let ineffective or dangerous vaccines through, backed up by a history which shows quite clearly the positive effect that has happened due to vaccines, or trusting my aunt who posts memes about how dangerous vaccines are on facebook that she got from other facebook people, none of whom have read a science book in their life, then i would probably make an educated guess and go with the professionals. 

Imagine you were stranded on an island and you had a survival expert and a conspiracy theorist who had no survival experience but was always undermining the expert, who would you listen for your best chance of survival? 

2 hours ago, Keyhole said:

It's not truth.

Any of you wanna be in my spot?  All this self preservation talk is nonsense unless you're living it.  Really.  I have a talent I could be honing in on - I have a desire to live - I'm only in my early 30's.  By all means, walk the walk.  Let's see what you have to say when it is you and you're having to take a look at your health in a different way, and you do have to question if putting something like this into your body will harm it.

I need to see how it affects people with autoimmune and inflammatory diseases first, and my contact with the outside world is practically zero.

I have ulcerative colitis which is quite a serious auto immune disease and i still feel that way. Selfish doesnt have to be taken as an insult its more of an observation, as in if i care more about my condition and my survival over others then yeah the technical definition is that its selfish, if i put others first over my own survival then that would be selfless, as im not acting from the 'self'. There maybe a good reason to be selfish but it still is what it is, its definitely not selfless. Realistically we all have moments of being selfish and selfless, its not cut and dry.

Most people will end up taking the vaccine because they cant fly or go to certain events without one, which of course is also a selfish intention, but it will ultimately help others which is more of a side effect for the person with this intention. 

Edited by Consept

21 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I will sit and watch other people take it first. Then see if they complain about anything 

Then I will go and get it. 

I'm taking the vaccine, as I've had to deal with a serious illness in the past that nearly killed me. When my immune system acclimated to that illness, and I received the necessary vaccines, I became more resilient to that type of illness, and soon reached full immunity against that. Never again will I underestimate illness, so when I see people with the same cognitive thinking above, the 'Send all my soldiers first except me' mentality, they need to vaccinate for mind viruses as well.

Only enlightened, awake, and conscious people Judge others......  Not !!!!!

Today I've been going through a bunch of videos on YouTube about Covid and the vaccine and I can barely find any positive comments - it's mostly people against the vaccine. What is going on? Are the majority of people actually against the vaccine, or does it just seem that way because those people are more vocal about it online?

1 hour ago, Keyhole said:

So what happens if you guys get really sick?  Do you have plans in place in order to deal with that?

The county I live in has now turned purple due to the rise in covid cases.

Where I work more and more of our patients now have covid then ever before.

I say, bring on the vaccine. I'm sick of this shit! If I get sick I'll deal with it.

Edited by Ananta

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

7 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

What county are you working in and what has been going on there?

I'm in Northern Ohio and absolutely nothing is going on, as far as I know, but we are in the purple. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Screenshot_20201206-205736_Chrome.jpg

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

3 hours ago, Keyhole said:

@Consept @Ananta Then you both need to be especially careful.  Is it currently active, your condition (Concept)?  I know Anna's is in remission atm.
Mine is running rampant right now.  If it was in remission, I would consider.  

Anna can't due to her job, but you should be waiting as well, dude.  Taking yourself into account is not always selfish.
I suppose my situation is different in that I am pretty much never around others.

So what happens if you guys get really sick?  Do you have plans in place in order to deal with that?

Its not been bad as im on infleximab atm so ive only had one flare up in the last 3 years or so, before that it was pretty bad. Yeah i get you, i will ask the docs before getting and do my own research as to whether it could affect my condition, obviously if it could i wont get it. In theory in the UK, im considered a vulnerable person so as long as it doesnt have some negative side effects i should really get it as im highly likely to contract covid if i come in contact with someone with it. 

If i get sick ive got a line to the department at the hospital and ill go in and get some treatment if need be. It really can be a horrible disease but i think theyve got decent meds atm. 

I fully understand being cautious if its fully active, look into whether it could have side effects for you or if anyone with a similar condition has had a trial. The other thing to be aware of is that if it is active it may make it easier for you to contract covid or flu, i get flu really easily. So it could actually be a good idea, providing it doesnt affect your condition, to get it just to protect yourself. 

Edited by Consept

On 2020/12/6 at 3:49 PM, Leo Gura said:

Exactly the kind of whiny entitlement I was talking about.

Thanks for proving my point.

There are many ways to take care of yourself and stop the spread of the virus. Taking a vaccine is not a necessary path.

On 12/6/2020 at 0:11 PM, Leo Gura said:

For all you spiritual types, the idea of sitting around and waiting for tens of millions of other people to take the vaccine out of some silly fears isn't a very good sign of your leadership or collective responsibility. Your tiny bit of fear, blown way out of all proportion, will costs thousands of lives.

Think of it like this, when you grandparents were called to go fight and die in WWII, they did it. Yet when you are asked to take a virtually harmless vaccine to save the lives of thousands, you fear it like a bullet to the head and act like a selfish jackass.

Indeed, how entitled and pussified stage Green has become. This whole topic should go into the stage Green cringe compilation thread.

Where is the conscious leadership? I see very little.

My mom is a medical doctor. She and her medical community think that it is too dangerous, that it isn't tested enough. They won't take it, let alone give it to their patients. This is what my mom thinks, who researches this stuff round the clock for a living.

But you, sir, want to 'be the Hero who sacrifices yourself for the greater good'. You know what? Go ahead and do it! Ignore the doctors, ignore the fact that it isn't tested and that it is a free-for-all for the pharma companies. The pharma companies will thank you so much for your sacrifice! They will send you flowers, in fact, for 'being the Hero that sacrificed yourself for the community'. They will eulogize you to no end, they really will turn you into a martyr. Bill Gates will be proud. ;)

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

People in the 3rd world would do anything to get it. But here we are in the west refusing to get vaccinated....

I guess we deserve this. 

8 hours ago, ted73104 said:

There are many ways to take care of yourself and stop the spread of the virus. Taking a vaccine is not a necessary path.

What ways do you speak of? Without the vaccine and even with some measures in place quite a lot of people have died, what do you think everyone has got wrong?

1 hour ago, Parththakkar12 said:

My mom is a medical doctor. She and her medical community think that it is too dangerous, that it isn't tested enough. They won't take it, let alone give it to their patients. This is what my mom thinks, who researches this stuff round the clock for a living.

But you, sir, want to 'be the Hero who sacrifices yourself for the greater good'. You know what? Go ahead and do it! Ignore the doctors, ignore the fact that it isn't tested and that it is a free-for-all for the pharma companies. The pharma companies will thank you so much for your sacrifice! They will send you flowers, in fact, for 'being the Hero that sacrificed yourself for the community'. They will eulogize you to no end, they really will turn you into a martyr. Bill Gates will be proud. ;)

Respect to your mum, but are there any specific studies you can point to that say this is dangerous? 

1 hour ago, Parththakkar12 said:

The pharma companies will thank you so much for your sacrifice! They will send you flowers,

So, everyone who gets vaccinated will die?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16