Preety_India

How can I stop hibernating?

22 posts in this topic

So this thing has been bugging me for the past few days. It's winter in my place and it gets too cold outside. Once my body detects a temperature drop, I instantly feel my body shutting down. 

All I want to do is just sleep under a heap of blankets or something cozy, drink tea to keep warm or rubbing my hands together. 

I feel very sleepy, tired and it seems like my heart slows down and I just don't get the motivation to do anything physical. Even getting out of bed becomes a chore. Sometimes I feel spaced out as though my whole body is close to a complete shutdown. 

I wish there was a "no work" option during winter. 

How can I stop hibernating? I know humans don't. But it feels a lot like the body shutting down to conserve energy. 

Also I feel a lot more hungry during winter. I feel like eating hot foods. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Keyhole me too lol. xD I'll be able to do cardio only if I had the slightest motivation to get out of bed. The only thing that's motivating me to move my ass is hunger and it takes me on frequent trips to the refrigerator and the microwave. xD

Lol. I live in the north of Europe. This is the worst part of the year. Barely any sunlight. :(

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles  zero sunlight dampens my mood and puts me into automatic depression. 

Sucks I know. 

21 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Lol. I live in the north of Europe. This is the worst part of the year. Barely any sunlight. :(

at least we have good heating and isolation, some places have terrible isolation etc. for winter, even many places in spain for example

also we have some fun activities in winter

maybe try vitamin d3

i also go to saunas often in winter

Edited by PurpleTree

@Preety_India @Keyhole Yep, I'm joining the sleepers' club. I usually tune in to ambient music like HTTYR and let it wash over me. Doing something productive feels like climbing Mt. Everest. I haven't looked into it much tbh. I sort of accepted myself to be a snake. That's what all the spirituality led to. xD 

• Eat chocolate and anything rich of carbohydrates.
  • Exercise mildly.
  • Accept the cold instead of resisting it.
  • Do body awareness scans. Detect if there are any muscle contractions and relax them.
  • Obviously, wear more clothes; two layers of thick socks, something to cover your ears, and wool or leather gloves if required.
  • Check for hypothyroidism.
Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

8 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

at least we have good heating and isolation, some places have terrible isolation etc. for winter, even many places in spain for example

also we have some fun activities in winter

maybe try vitamin d3

i also go to saunas often in winter

True, I've experienced winter in China, terrible insulation, its basically jackets and heating fans inside all day long, the humid cold gets in everywhere. 

Edited by Rilles

Embrace the cold! 

If you give into the "it's so cold" mentality, you'll only feed it and it will feel even colder. 

Try a cold shower with some deep breathing, then go outside and do some activity in the cold. 

This is all a mental game, there's nothing but fear stopping you from getting up right now and jumping into a cold shower.

And the shock of it is the best part! feels amazing. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

@Rilles Yeah but you get the northern lights!  That's a pretty good trade.

@SirVladimir   Oh that's a keeper for sure, that music with the background like that.  I should accept my squirrelish ways.  Some animals hibernate. @Preety_India Which hibernating animal are you?

(Time to make a quiz)

I have never seen the Northern Lights, its on my bucket-list, but they are 10 hours north of where I live. :( 

9 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

This is all a mental game, there's nothing but fear stopping you from getting up right now and jumping into a cold shower.

cold showers are giving me neck pain unfortunately :P so that's stopping me not fear

even cold weather does

otherwise i would do it, i did the wim hof showers and breathing technique for about 10 months it was fun but i stopped because of the neck

@PurpleTree Then it's fear of getting injured. ;) 

Is it just temporary neck pain while exposed to the cold? Or is it permanent?

I also get a stabbing sensation in the neck but it goes away afterward.  

I have to get outside in the cold everyday for a walk, run, ski, skate, etc. Also I drink tea or coffee, but still, I feel the same way a lot of the time. Are you taking vitamin D? Another thing that can help is focus on self care or a creative project. Or a good book can be the best of both worlds, it gets your focus on something else but also gives your body rest if that's what it's asking for. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw  

I'm struggling right now. I had sharp pains in the chest an hour ago and I felt like I was losing consciousness. 

So I tried to place my hands on the bathroom stand to prevent  myself from collapsing. 

The hospital down the block is closed right now and I won't be going there because it's full of Covid patients. Few people in my apartment have already been admitted in the hospital because of Covid, it is gradually spreading in my area so people are scared to go out. I don't see anyone outside my window on the path. 

I'm just trying hard to survive because it's brutal right now. I am feeling sudden blood rushes to my head on the back of my head. This is just the worst time of the year for me.

I can't go out because they have banned anyone from walking around the apartment because of high Covid and a few nearby buildings and stores are sealed with no entry. 

I was told to use the garage area to exit the building in case I needed to get food. I have stocked up food in my basement for next 3 weeks.. 

I am experiencing intermittent consciousness, I feel giddy and doze off and then wake up 2 hous later and I feel better and then again an hour later I begin to feel drowsy and low in energy. And the same cycle continues. 

I'm waking between periods of drowsiness and making food and eating hungrily to conserve energy. 

I also stocked up eggs because eggs make me feel a bit warmer and stronger. 

I'm not keeping well since the last few hours. My extremities are going cold. 

I'll be back later. 

Do you have a low blood pressure? Do you get dizzy when you stand up fast? Do you know your blood pressure? And your resting heart rate?

That would be one explanation, the other that the thyroid struggles to keep your metabolism ignited enough. 

I recall you had very low vitamin D that may be contributing perhaps other nutrients like selenium, iodine, iron are low as well. 

What does your diet look like? 

For an emergency lay down and raise your legs up to allow better blood flow to brain. Make sure to stay well hydrated

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Can you make a normal doctor's appointment, is that a possibility where you live? (Not hospital)

Because it definitely sounds like you should get your blood values checked. I heard that the standard tests for iron deficiency are not accurate (they only warn when you have acute anemia), and you should ask for the more expensive tests.

Then again, you may have actual anemia.

I have winter depression, and it can get pretty bad. However, I bought a daylight-therapy lamp, and have it shine in my face several hours a day. Best thing I ever did. All anxious and sad feelings totally gone! No side effects either. Takes 5 days for it to kick in. I highly recommend getting one. I have a Philips Bright Light.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Do you take any vitamin D supplements?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Take 1 shot of some very strong alcohol and play your favorite song on loudly!