Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strangeloop

Do I need a certificate to start coaching people?

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it's manageable to coach people without a certificate? For free for example. I only tried 1on1 coaching once and it was hard to do. So I'm sure I will get a certificate, but the question begs, from who? From who do I get a certificate? And what I would even be coaching about? The best skill I have (and it's not even that good as of now) is beatbox. I could train beatbox, but I'm more interested in self-help teachings. I feel like it's more valuable than beatbox. Can I like to connect the two? But if I say that I'm a beatbox coach and then we have a coaching call I teach self-help it wouldn't be what the client expected or even wanted.

@Strangeloop right on! Yeah, coaching people is hard to do without some semblance of theoretical and practical study. Human beings are very complicated. But here are a few steps for you to consider:

1) keep trying 1/1 coaching, but READ Leo’s list of Coaching books on the book list. There are 5 or 6 there that are crucial reads. 

2) google some “Life coaching programs“ and figure out your price range. iPEC has a great reputation and is what Leo went with, but it is pricey. Nothing wrong with a cheaper option, but check those reviews first so you dont waste your time.

3) treat your coaching practice as sincerely as a Doctor does. That means, get your priorities straight with each and every conversation. Are you sure coaching is for you? We often underestimate how hard it is to develop REAL listening skills. 

4) get some coaching yourself. Hard to sell something you have never bought yourself, right?

5) great! After all that, consider your specialty. You could actually make your purpose about GROUP COACHING in the recording studio setting; or coach bands for a living. And interestinf possibility there for you, but you can take that and run with it Im sure! Best of luck my friend. 

Edited by Bubba66

@Bubba66 it's an awesome reply bro! I loved it! I really see your suggestion about coaching groups like a band of beatboxers and getting on stage with them come true.