WonderSeeker

Convincing someone who's unsure

12 posts in this topic

Yesterday a college roommate of mine claimed to have "almost" had an out-of-body experience on mushrooms. Today, I just over-heard him on the phone with a friend talking about how he's "questioning who and what he is" and "is there something beyond the materialism?" and so on. I know this stuff varies from person to person, but what could I say that might spark his interest in doing a meditative/contemplative practice? He seems very curious, but simultaneously scared about it. It's almost like he senses the danger that this could bring on his ego, which is how I felt many months ago. Cheers!

Edited by WonderSeeker

i don’t know the guys personality of course but i’d say just gradually bring some interesting topics up maybe talk about some of your past trips and how similar things have happened to you. show him some cool videos or books, start him off easy like terrence mckenna, sadhguru, or alan watts and just see if he finds any of it interesting. if he doesn’t seem to care then don’t be pushy. 

good luck to that guy and you as well ??

Edited by UNZARI

should probably change title, Borderline is a serious disorder

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@UNZARI I like the practicality of starting with something like McKenna - good idea! 

@Nahm ^_^

@Rilles Noted. I felt turbulent using that word.

Edited by WonderSeeker

I'd be cautious so he doesn't get Murphy'd into unhinged land. 

Perhaps talk in ways that aren't overly threatening to an ego, sending the mind-body into fight or flight. Perhaps things like flow states of consciousness, what are memories, Being Now, nonduality speakers etc. 

2 hours ago, Forestluv said:

I'd be cautious so he doesn't get Murphy'd into unhinged land. 

I love that turn of phrase. Maybe add a version of this to the sites' disclaimer? ;)

@Loving Radiance LOL! :D

6 hours ago, Nahm said:

As in....convincing is kind of a lost cause, but pointing out foundational assumption (nicely) might be met with curiosity, inquiry & inspection. 

I like that. Will be patient and not force it though.

I agree with @Nahm Convincing sounds very Cult / Religion like. Instead offer food for thought, contemplations to mull over & meditations to realize. For each of us needs to take our own journey, give someone a nudge, then let them dive in when they are ready. Push someone in without their consent, and you risk a lot of backlash. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

19 hours ago, WonderSeeker said:

he's "questioning who and what he is" and "is there something beyond the materialism?" and so on.

No need to push really. Once this question is genuinely asked (which it seems to be),the process is already in motion. Whether he wants it or not,or knows it or not, he's already on the "journey". He (assumed personal self at this point) may think he's choosing (i.e., personal free will?),whether or not to start the journey,but no,that has already been decided. ?